Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Max Domi signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $3M)

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It is quite interesting. They are currently $2,431,450 over the cap after factoring in Muzzin to LTIR and that's without Samsonov signed who is project by evolving hockey to be somewhere in the range of $5.178 over 4 years. Which would put them at $7,609,450 over the cap. Paying someone to take on Murray gets them to $2,921,950 so they would need to still free up nearly another $3m to have a bit of wiggle room. Not sure how they get there but it's going to be interesting to see what kind of moves Brad has in mind to make it work.

Samsanov is not getting 5 million.

I think he is likely around 3 million on a 2 year deal, he is the perfect model of a bridge deal.

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
I mean, yea that’s fine. Domi and Bertuzzi are fine players to add but why should I think 2024 will be different than all the other playoff years? ROR, Acciari, Schenn last season all had “bite” but still only squeaked out 5 wins in the playoffs. How will the new additions be suddenly better and make the core 4 score more goals when it matters?
If you think Domi + Bertuzzi = ROR, Accari and Schenn offensively you need to pick up a new sport

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
I’m not bashing you or this post at all, it’s a great post.

But I absolutely hate that all we really end up talking about is the salary cap. It’s destroying the league, we don’t talk about hockey and hockey players, hockey trades, can’t keep teams together, can’t build teams properly, because of this ridiculous cap.

The first question in everyone’s head when someone signs is “how does this effect the cap?”

It’s sucking the fun out of discussing the NHL
I agree, it does suck, for sure. I for one cannot help but check the cap as part of any deal, and it's usually a downer And we can't do anything about it.

At least the Leafs live on the edge, and have demonstrated pretty much a mastery of the finer details these last 5+ years...that's somewhat entertaining.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Samsanov is not getting 5 million.

I think he is likely around 3 million on a 2 year deal, he is the perfect model of a bridge deal.

Even then they still need to make a move of some sort. That gets them closer.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If you think Domi + Bertuzzi = ROR, Accari and Schenn offensively you need to pick up a new sport

I wasn’t talking about offence, I was talking about “bite”. Either way, the team has to be carried by the top 4 forwards. You don’t bring in Domi, Bertuzzi to carry your offence. Oh and thanks for the condscending tone.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Yeah even with a shorter deal for Sammy they still need to free up some more cap but that would get them closer. They keep insisting to the media that they plan on keeping 3 goalies and the core 4 forwards in tact but that's not even remotely possible now.
Agreed. The nice thing is that the don't HAVE to, but they should. This takes some of the pressure of and means they can do a hockey deal and not a dump deal...for Nylander, Murray is a dump.

A PLD return on Nylander with a Dman being the main piece coming back is very interesting.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
* Nylander for Slavin

On what planet does a 3-4D land a 40 goal, ppg winger than can play C? That's also only 26?

What other team is going to offer even close to that for Pesce? Seriously? Jets moving Connor or Ehlers for him? How about the Kings with Fiala?
I agree that Nylander for Pesce does not seem like an even trade anymore, but what about Nylander + something small for Peace + Jarvis or Nylander + something small for Oleksiak + Wright?

These are just a couple I read on here that start to make sense. Nylander is about to get very expensive and the Leafs are adding Bertuzzi, Domi, Knies and Maybe even Robertson to their top 9 forwards.

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
I agree that Nylander for Pesce does not seem like an even trade anymore, but what about Nylander + something small for Peace + Jarvis or Nylander + something small for Oleksiak + Wright?

These are just a couple I read on here that start to make sense. Nylander is about to get very expensive and the Leafs are adding Bertuzzi, Domi, Knies and Maybe even Robertson to their top 9 forwards.
Nylander + for Slavin or Nylander for Pesce + Necas or keep him

Trading him just to acquire a lesser d-men is pure idiocy. The Leafs are stronger next season with him on the team than trading him for a middle pairing d-man.

Reactions: Da Mash

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Let's hope for the Leafs that he'll be motivated to play for the team of his father, because this isn't a player you want on your team when he's not motivated.
There was no reason to be motivated on last years Hawk team yet he was very good and by every account an excellent teammate.
As much as I hate to say this (I am not a TML fan) it fills a major need. He and Bertuzzi are exactly what the Leafs lacked. … Toughness that can play closer to the top of the lineup.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I guess. I don't know.

It's just every year, another slew of rentals to fill out the roster but no real commitments to guys that will be here long-term beyond the core 4 (and Reilly).

Get bounced early. Rinse and repeat.
With the signing of Bertuzzi, is this mean there's a Nylander trade coming soon to help the Leafs with their real problem, getting a defensemen?

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Nylander + for Slavin or Nylander for Pesce + Necas or keep him

Trading him just to acquire a lesser d-men is pure idiocy. The Leafs are stronger next season with him on the team than trading him for a middle pairing d-man.
Except is not trading him just to acquire a lesser D-man. I made that pretty clear in my post, but you chose to ignore me AND call it idiocy. Nice play.

Pesce/Jarvis or Oleksiak/Wright Nylander gives us a top 4 D and a young high end player/prospect and cap space now and in the future.

i think Necas and Pesce is too big of a return and doesn't help us cap wise. Re-allocating Nylander this way also allows us to keep one or both of Bertuzzi and Domi if they fit in the line up well.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Leafs 20 man roster with Murray dealt and Lafferty/Timmins waived/sent down = 3.7m for Samsonov. Could clear more cap by moving out Jarnkrok if needed. Presumably Samsonov gets a bit of a raise on a one year deal? 1x2.5-3m? Allows us to keep one extra roster guy at 800k or so.

View attachment 725573
That team is terrible.
Kampf is a 4th line C.
Both 4th line wings should only play limited games.
Restrict Giordano to 50 regular season games.
Taking Lafferty out of the lineup weakens the team more than you think.
Because of Reeves and Giordano they can’t hope to run a 20 man roster.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I’m not bashing you or this post at all, it’s a great post.

But I absolutely hate that all we really end up talking about is the salary cap. It’s destroying the league, we don’t talk about hockey and hockey players, hockey trades, can’t keep teams together, can’t build teams properly, because of this ridiculous cap.

The first question in everyone’s head when someone signs is “how does this effect the cap?”

It’s sucking the fun out of discussing the NHL
Nah, it's great fun watching with these teams struggle to stay under the cap after giving out bloated deals to players who can't get it done when it matters.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
3 million works according got CapFriendly.

Even then they are still $1,472,283 over the cap so an additional move has to be made.

leafs.png

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Ya with a little work maybe we can be as big of a trainwreck Sabres have been for the last 20+ years.

Username checks out.
Yeah, one playoff round. Nice. Biggest chokes in hockey. Been to the finals or are you waiting for the league to contract to six teams? I'll take where the Sabres are today. Dubas mucked up your cap and your prospect pipeline and skipped town.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
That team is terrible.
Kampf is a 4th line C.
Both 4th line wings should only play limited games.
Restrict Giordano to 50 regular season games.
Taking Lafferty out of the lineup weakens the team more than you think.
Because of Reeves and Giordano they can’t hope to run a 20 man roster.
That's the team we have. That's how it all fits. They haven't carried an extra forward or dman in years to start the season. If they sign Sammy for $2.9m then they have room to keep Laffery.

Leafs already did this was Lupol. Remember when he couldn't play hockey, but they found him snowboarding. Leafs got to him and shut him down. Lupul appears to deny injury on Instagram - TSN.ca

Sorry, Leafs can and will do this with Muzzin. Bettman and league allow it.
Insiders, family, friends have all reported he is done. So they don't need to force anything.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad