Proposal: [TOR/EDM/VAN] Canadian 3-Way Deal

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
:edmonton
Recieves: Sven Baertschi
Trades: Milan Lucic, 2019 1st (top 10 protected)

:leafs
Recieves: Christopher Tanev
Trades: 2019 1st, Connor Carrick

:nucks

Recieves: 2 x 2019 1st, Milan Lucic, Connor Carrick
Trades: Chris Tanev, Sven Baertschi

Edit: Oilers pick is now protected

isn't so much a three way as it is 2 separate Canuck deals.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This would only make sense for the Oilers if they had another player lined up to sign or trade for. To me, if you move your 1st to dump Lucic and sign Maroon you're just repeating the cycle for short term help. The Oilers need to keep their picks and keep plugging in ELC forwards down the road.

And I feel like I'm in bizzaro world with so many people saying this is a good three-way, as while Edmonton may be reluctant to move Lucic at the cost of a 1st if they did so they'd need to find a low cap team that's not already weighed down by anchors like Arizona. As it stands already, in terms of underwhelming to bad contracts the Canucks already have $11.75M committed to Sutter, Baerstchi, and Gudbranson for the next 3 years, and another $12M to Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel for the next 4. Why the hell would you want to add another $6M for 5 years on another bottom 6 producing forward on top of that. You'd be committing $22M to a bottom six of:

Lucic-Sutter-Eriksson
Roussel-Beagle-

For the next 3+ years. Things are already bad enough with what we do have.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
And I feel like I'm in bizzaro world with so many people saying this is a good three-way, as while Edmonton may be reluctant to move Lucic at the cost of a 1st if they did so they'd need to find a low cap team that's not already weighed down by anchors like Arizona. As it stands already, in terms of underwhelming to bad contracts the Canucks already have $11.75M committed to Sutter, Baerstchi, and Gudbranson for the next 3 years, and another $12M to Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel for the next 4. Why the hell would you want to add another $6M for 5 years on another bottom 6 producing forward on top of that. You'd be committing $22M to a bottom six of:

Lucic-Sutter-Eriksson
Roussel-Beagle-

For the next 3+ years. Things are already bad enough with what we do have.
Fair, but Benning just signed four of these players this off-season so clearly he doesn't think they are bad.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I think if the Leafs really want Tanev they need to add Nylander and another 1st, Vancouver can then send Willie to Edmonton for a 3rd and 4th and Chia can send Willie back to the Leafs for a second just because!

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Ugh, thats ugly. No to Edmonton trading 1st round picks for marginal players.

Have you seen Looch's contract?

I think the Leafs add Kapanen, Canucks retain 35% of Tanev, giving him a cap hit just under $3 million. More or less the same hit as Martin

There is no way we deal Kapanen + 1sr round pick for Tanev. Come on, be reasonable. This would be akin to Calgary's Hamonic deal.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
Wouldn't touch either of these.

Lucic contract is horrendous and way too much term left for just a 1st round pick. Having both Erikson and Lucic contracts would kill us.

As for Tanev. I'd much rather hold him until the TDL, hope he stays healthy and then flip him for a much larger return. Selling him now would be doing so at his lowest value in years.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Have you seen Looch's contract?

There is no way we deal Kapanen + 1sr round pick for Tanev. Come on, be reasonable. This would be akin to Calgary's Hamonic deal.
Kapanen + a 20-30 pick really isn’t worth much

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I think if the Leafs really want Tanev they need to add Nylander and another 1st, Vancouver can then send Willie to Edmonton for a 3rd and 4th and Chia can send Willie back to the Leafs for a second just because!

Alternatively, you could have just written "I want to stoke the flames in this thread." It accomplishes the same thing as your post, but much more efficiently with less words.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
If we hadn't just signed 2 guys for 4 years I would be semi-ok with taking Lucic back but damn we would have a ton tied up in medicore players.

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
This is actually one of the first reasonable trades I have seen proposed here. No team would be thrilled about it, but each team would at least take a hard look at it... which means it is pretty plausible.

From a Toronto perspective I would bite the bullet and do it. Tanev's injury history is worrisome but he can definitely upgrade that right side, if he plays most of the season.

Now, this would be somehow be dependent on the Leafs being able to work everyone under the cap, but if that could be done then I would go for it. If much of Tanev's contract (which is only two years) is retained by Vancouver the Leafs might even send a late round pick as well.

HaHa that is stupid. My god think about what you type!!

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Damn, good point.

Maybe he would waive for Seattle though? Close to home, low expectations...
That’s is a good point, fresh start, close to home and a high likelihood he could even be captain. I never thought of it to be completely honest but it really wouldn’t be a bad fit for him.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
HaHa that is stupid. My god think about what you type!!
You mean unlike you, apparently. If you are going to disparage someone else's opinion at least try and offer an explanation and an alternate veiw. Otherwise it just comes off as lazy.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Alternatively, you could have just written "I want to stoke the flames in this thread." It accomplishes the same thing as your post, but much more efficiently with less words.
geez i suppose i could've but it wouldn't have expressed the downright incredulity of this particular trade thread

now before you start with the no clickey no lickey nonsense, i'll have you know i am bemused of all the different ways people are trying to foist Tanev onto the Leafs for a price that will never be paid, because frankly Tanev isn't as good as the sales job by Benning would indicate

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
It’s more to do with the NMC, and the potential of being forced to protect him in future expansion draft.
I'm pretty sure the protection of Lucic will not be too difficult unless the expansion team was in need of a zamboni

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
I would say hard no to the Leafs portion of the deal from a Canucks point of view. Its likely to be at best a 22nd or so overall pick and a bottom pairing D. Plus, if they do improve their D, which Tanev would do, they are going to be a hell of a force in the playoffs and it could (hold your breath) be a 31st overall pick. Terrible value for one of the league's best defensive defensemen, who is signed to an ideal contract for a contending team with a lot of big salary commitments. A comparable deal can be had at the deadline, 2020 offseason, or 2020 deadline.

The Lucic portion, I doubt would happen, and that's a lot of money to pay for a 1st round pick from an ownership perspective. I don't see him waiving his no trade clause to come to Vancouver and get ripped by fans and media and hastled everyday on a rebuilding team. His contract also overlaps into a time when the Canucks are hopefully competitive again. I would say if the Canucks are going to look to target a cap dump, a player like Spezza makes more sense as we can absorb the cap hit in the short term, but not the long term.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad