Proposal: [TOR/EDM/VAN] Canadian 3-Way Deal

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
This is actually one of the first reasonable trades I have seen proposed here. No team would be thrilled about it, but each team would at least take a hard look at it... which means it is pretty plausible.

From a Toronto perspective I would bite the bullet and do it. Tanev's injury history is worrisome but he can definitely upgrade that right side, if he plays most of the season.

Now, this would be somehow be dependent on the Leafs being able to work everyone under the cap, but if that could be done then I would go for it. If much of Tanev's contract (which is only two years) is retained by Vancouver the Leafs might even send a late round pick as well.

Reactions: I am I

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Surprisingly a deal that has all three parties thinking seriously.

As a Vancouver fan.. I'm on the fence. So close, yet those 1sts can be so low it hurts.. Very close.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Honestly even though we are gonna suck for the 4 years lucic has left as long as benning is here a top 10 protection is too much, I’d argue it down to a top 3 and be fine with the deal.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Honestly even though we are gonna suck for the 4 years lucic has left as long as benning is here a top 10 protection is too much, I’d argue it down to a top 3 and be fine with the deal.

Coming from a Leafs fan: If I was in the same position it would depend on how the protection works. If they finish bottom 10 after the draft lottery and then the pick becomes an unconditional 1st in 2020 you might consider that more than a top 10 that becomes 2 2nds or multiple conditional 1sts or something similar.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Leafs fan, would easily move 2019 1st and Carrick for Tanev.

The deal could just be left at something centered around this.

Maybe Kap and a 1st for Tanev and a 3rd?

Toronto’s 1st is going to be in the late 20’s somits value isn’t that high. The Cancouver 3rd is almost a late 2nd as well.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
The deal could just be left at something centered around this.

Maybe Kap and a 1st for Tanev and a 3rd?

Toronto’s 1st is going to be in the late 20’s somits value isn’t that high. The Cancouver 3rd is almost a late 2nd as well.

That's too rich. Kap is off the table, we need him this year, as he has a lot of chemistry with some existing Leafs..finally might be played up in the lineup (it's going to be between him or Brown in the top 9). But more importantly, we need him on the team to off-set the lost of Leo on the PK.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
That's too rich. Kap is off the table, we need him this year, as he has a lot of chemistry with some existing Leafs..finally might be played up in the lineup (it's going to be between him or Brown in the top 9). But more importantly, we need him on the team to off-set the lost of Leo on the PK.

Well they’re going to have to give up something of value if they want a guy like Tanev who is a solid #3 guy when healthy.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Wouldn't do it from a Canucks POV. Like others have mentioned it's not really a three way trade it's 2 separate trades. Not enough from Toronto for Tanev, and after JB's debacle at free agency I don't touch Lucic and that contract at all.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Actually pretty decent overall for all teams, well done

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
The Leafs need a Defenseman who can actually show up to play Hockey for more than half of the Season.

No doubting his abilities but the guy just can't stay healthy, the only reason I would pass.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
I think the Leafs add Kapanen, Canucks retain 35% of Tanev, giving him a cap hit just under $3 million. More or less the same hit as Martin

So Tanev for Kappy, Carrick and a 1st?

Hard pass.

Dubas doesn't drink enough to make a deal like that. We could take the package elsewhere and get a younger player

2 young cost controlled roster players and a first is quite the overpayment for a guy who has had problems staying healthy.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I'd do Carrick + 1st for Tanev, and offer adding in a 2nd to retain 50% on Tanev's contract seeing as Vancouver won't need that cap for the next 2 years

Kapanen is a no go though.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
This would only make sense for the Oilers if they had another player lined up to sign or trade for. To me, if you move your 1st to dump Lucic and sign Maroon you're just repeating the cycle for short term help. The Oilers need to keep their picks and keep plugging in ELC forwards down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad