Confirmed with Link: [TOR/DAL] Connor Carrick to DAL for Conditional 2019 7th Round Pick

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Last time: instead of acquiring Laich & Carrick for Winnik + 5th, they should have acquired Laich + a pick (6th or 7th). I prefer those late round picks over B level prospects.

I understand your post but it makes no sense. The Leafs also got a second round pick in the trade and considered Carrick an A prospect at the time of the trade. Source: Lou Lamoriello & Kyle Dubas

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Last time: instead of acquiring Laich & Carrick for Winnik + 5th, they should have acquired Laich + a pick (6th or 7th). I prefer those late round picks over B level prospects.

Seems like a wash to me. It's not like Carrick contributed nothing. Do people even talk about Winnick anymore?

member 300185

So now we see the full scope of Dubas's ability to make a trade. Should have gotten at least a 5th for him.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Meh, always hoped he pull things together but Babs clearly has zero faith in the guy.

He always gave smart interviews, though Mirtle seemed to suggest he had self confidence issues

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I understand your post but it makes no sense. The Leafs also got a second round pick in the trade and considered Carrick an A prospect at the time of the trade. Source: Lou Lamoriello & Kyle Dubas
At the time how much of Dubas opinion did Lou actually consider? For example before he signed with Tampa Bay I remember Dubas told him they should try to sign Yanni Gourde and Lou didn't want to do that.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Carrick was 1.3 mil so perhaps this means they met somewhere in the middle with Nylander. Doesn't make sense they give him 1.3 mil then trade him when nobody really won that 6th spot yet.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
So now we see the full scope of Dubas's ability to make a trade. Should have gotten at least a 5th for him.

The problem was the extra cap on Carrick. I would bet if he made 300k less he could have gone for more, as teams could bury him if they wanted to.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Well any pick is better then no pick and we were not going to resign him anyway.

We need the cap space moving forward saves us 350,000 or so in cap space.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
I think he’s our seventh best d.. I’d rather have borgman because of potential though. I think Carrick is better then holl as a player, just doesn’t fit the role needed on this team as much. I’m hoping Ozhiganov is the real deal.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Carrick was 1.3 mil so perhaps this means they met somewhere in the middle with Nylander. Doesn't make sense they give him 1.3 mil then trade him when nobody really won that 6th spot yet.

I think Steve Dangle provided a decent analysis of the bottom pairing fight that Ozhiganov won and why Oz. is the better option of the available options this pre-season.

I like the idea that Borgman (especially) and Rosen could build upon last year's (AHL) championship run and parlay it into more NHL time this year should Ozhiganov falter.

In terms of accounting, it may be that Nylander's hit is higher than anticipated but Carrick's wouldn't have affected this season's bottom line even if Nylander's contract far exceeded expectations.

The move looks like it's based purely on ability and merit.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Judging by the trades that occurred today there really isn't any evidence to suggest Carrick was worth a 5th or more of a return
That's a bit not fair cause value of players were lowered due to impending waivers.

If waivers weren't looming jerebek and Carrick prolly could have gotten better picks Imo, not a lot higher but certainly in the 4th-5th range.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Meh what's done is done, at least they got something for him. Looks like Dubas went for value over pure performance in this case, but in the end, it won't make a huge difference. Whether Nylanders sits for 10+ games or whether Zaitsev beats out Hainsey for the top pairing role means more than any decision made so far.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Never was going to work here, freed up the cap space and a 6th-7th round pick isn't so bad. We're up to like 4 7th rounders I believe now.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Never was going to work here, freed up the cap space and a 6th-7th round pick isn't so bad. We're up to like 4 7th rounders I believe now.
5 in the next two years, depending on that weird Vesey one. Hopefully Bergman doesn't retire and can pluck a few more late round Swedes for us.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
5 in the next two years, depending on that weird Vesey one. Hopefully Bergman doesn't retire and can pluck a few more late round Swedes for us.

I think I had read that the condition with the Edmonton was that he sign with them and he did relatively quickly. I think we secured it but Capfriendly has not confirmed yet.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Something people are overlooking IMO.

Part of the value we got from Carrick was the games he played for us. If we didnt get him, we would have had to trade for someone else last year to be a 6/7.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

This guy is like literally the same size as Dermott: 5'11", 195-200 lbs. Carrick is actually more physical than Dermott as well, so he should even get the edge.

The problem with Carrick is that he did not do the small things well enough. Decent but not amazing at ES. If he knew how to PK, he'd probably stick around or even be in the top 6. However defensemen, especially bottom pairing defensemen, who do not know how to do special teams are limited in their effectiveness. Just like on the other way, being a strong special teamer gives you a lot more rope, much like it does for Gardiner, Hainsey and Polak getting the ice time they did.

Ozhiganov knows how to PK. Dermott knows how to PK and should be starting to do it more in the NHL (they'll probably rotate him, Oz, Rielly, Zaitsev and Hainsey). Polak knew how to PK. Even Holl and Marincin know how to PK, and Marincin is very good at it. Carrick did not, and now look who is on the outside looking in?

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006

What if a 5th wasn't offered? What if we lost him on waivers? Seems silly to get all doom and gloom over a minor deal with a mediocre player.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Why the Stars traded for Toronto's Connor Carrick to join their crowded group of defensemen
"He's a good, young player that I still think has got even more there to add," Stars general manager Jim Nill said. "He's 24, and starting to get some experience. [Jim Montgomery] likes to play upbeat, we're going to be an upbeat tempo, fast-paced team. That's how he plays. He's a good skater, he moves the puck well. He's competitive. We think he's got a chance to be a solid player for us."

"In the end, you can never have enough defensemen. We're worried about some injuries. We're one or two injuries away from testing our depth. So you can never have enough defensemen."
"Just from talking to teams, it didn't sound like there was going to be a lot of defensemen available on waivers," Nill said. "I just thought it's a smarter move if we have a chance to get him, instead of waiting through waivers. The waivers, you can't control. I knew if I could make a trade, at least I could control that."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad