Confirmed with Link: [TOR/COL] Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen & 2020 3rd for Tyson Barrie (50% retain), Alex Kerfoot & 2020 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Ok, please give me us more information about Calle Rosén.

Averaging 0.85 points/game for Marlins is pretty good for a defenseman (?) is there any reason why he shouldn't become a top four d-man?

For me it is about confusing with almost nobody mentioning Calle in this trade.

Meh. I think expecting top 4 is a stretch. Could probably fill a bottom pair role and do well there but he's not great 5 on 5 (19 year old Liljegren carried him a lot this year, he was bad away from Lily). And I doubt he'd get much PP time with you guys with Makar and Girard there to take advantage of the offense.

One of those tweener guys between the NHL and AHL is the safe bet.

Reactions: hullsy47

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands

Averaging 0.85 points/game for Marlins is pretty decent for a defenseman (?) is there any (good) reason why he shouldn't become a top four d-man?

For me it is about confusing with almost nobody mentioning Calle in this trade but I guess you Leafs fans have some interesting inside information.
The Leafs signed Rosen at the time they also signed Borgman. If I remember correctly Rosen was in the line up (2 years ago) a couple of games and was sent down. Borgman stayed a little longer, but also got send down. Rosen played good in the minors and with Dermott injured, I guess he would have started as the 5th (3th pair LD) defenceman. This was supposed to be his moment to prove himself. He just needs to do that at the Avs blueline.

Reactions: 21

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018

Averaging 0.85 points/game for Marlies is pretty decent for a defenseman (?) is there any (good) reason why he shouldn't become a top four d-man?

For me it is about confusing with almost nobody mentioning Calle in this trade but I guess you Leafs fans have some interesting inside information.
Top 4 may be overly hopeful as he's already 25. Made great strides last year tho and was pencilled in by most to make the Leafs this year.
Scouting Report: Who is Calle Rosen?

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Meh. I think expecting top 4 is a stretch. Could probably fill a bottom pair role and do well there but he's not great 5 on 5 (19 year old Liljegren carried him a lot this year, he was bad away from Lily). And I doubt he'd get much PP time with you guys with Makar and Girard there to take advantage of the offense.

One of those tweener guys between the NHL and AHL is the safe bet.

Ok, we will see, his 0.85 points/game was third in the entire AHL for defensemen? Usually Swedish offensive d-men are valued highly, why would Rosén suddenly be different?

0.852 comparing to 0.862 for Zach Redmond and 0.867 for Lawrence Pilut.
2018‑2019 AHL Defensemen Scoring Leaders

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Ok, we will see, his 0.85 points/game was third in the entire AHL for defensemen? Usually Swedish offensive d-men are valued highly, why would Rosén suddenly be different?

0.852 comparing to 0.862 for Zach Redmond and 0.867 for Lawrence Pilut.
2018‑2019 AHL Defensemen Scoring Leaders
Yes he put up points in the AHL but he had heavy PP minutes which he won't get at the NHL level, and he isn't great with the puck. He's not terrible, just not great. Doesn't have a great shot, will need to rely on his ability to get pucks through traffic and hope for the best.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
Some players develope slightly slower especially d-men when coming from another country and another league? Well, we will have to wait and see, thanks for your comments.
Don't you have Byram, Girard and Zadorov at the left side? If there is any team in the entire league able to be totally 'meh' about Rosen being able to stand on his skates, let only being a top 4 D, it would be the Avs lol.

You guys should have included Timmins in the deal, just because :D:D

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Yes he put up points in the AHL but he had heavy PP minutes which he won't get at the NHL level, and he isn't great with the puck. He's not terrible, just not great. Doesn't have a great shot, will need to rely on his ability to get pucks through traffic and hope for the best.

Ok, now I am officially confused, I thought his shot (snapper and slapshot) was his best asset?

Well, anyway, for not being good averaging 0.85 points for the Marlies is interesting, yes, yes, I am aware of the huge difference between AHL and NHL.... ;-)

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Don't you have Byram, Girard and Zadorov at the left side? If there is any team in the entire league able to be totally 'meh' about Rosen being able to stand on his skates, let only being a top 4 D, it would be the Avs lol.

You guys should have included Timmins in the deal, just because :D:D

Well, tons of responsibility on young guys here, it's a bit concerning but on paper it's looking impressive. ;-)

Reactions: Cappuccino

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Ok, now I am officially confused, I thought his shot (snapper and slapshot) was his best asset?

Well, anyway, for not being good averaging 0.85 points for the Marlies is interesting, yes, yes, I am aware of the huge difference between AHL and NHL.... ;-)

He's a good skater and his shot is really good. I don't know why anyone who has watched him would say otherwise.

Reactions: kb and 21

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

I just saw Colorado had Meloche in their system. I remember liking him when he was in junior. How's he been developing?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Perfect take, you get a top pair D at 50% retained salary, and a top 9 forward and you don't give up aLilherjen, Samdin, Bracco or the 2021 1s

You got EXACTLY what you needed and you kept the cupboards full all the best prospects remain untouched.

Sign Marner and the off season is complete

Reactions: supermann_98

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I just saw Colorado had Meloche in their system. I remember liking him when he was in junior. How's he been developing?

Well, no, I don't know much about Meloche. I tend to focus on the Swedish players more, especially on underrated Swedish players :D (I'm not a very trustable fan but 21 = Forsberg)

You are welcome to the Avalanche forum.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think I agree but I also think Gardiner being American accounted for a lot of the hate he got here. People who hated Gardiner will be more patient/forgiving with Barrie.

I think it will come down more to size. Both are similar players, but the weaknesses they both share are a lot more acceptable for a player who is smaller.

Tyson Barrie is 5'10", so it's pretty reasonable for him to lose some battles down low, or even avoid some contact. Jake Gardiner is 6'2", so losing the exact same battle, or avoiding the same contact, is a lot more egregious.

Reactions: leafs in five

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I think it will come down more to size. Both are similar players, but the weaknesses they both share are a lot more acceptable for a player who is smaller.

Tyson Barrie is 5'10", so it's pretty reasonable for him to lose some battles down low, or even avoid some contact. Jake Gardiner is 6'2", so losing the exact same battle, or avoiding the same contact, is a lot more egregious.

Good point. The battles for pucks is one thing, he was never going to win over people who want their dmen to just win board battles. Still I never saw Gardiner as soft, he was always getting hit, his back is permanently damaged for it. Until this season when he was clearly in some dehabilitating pain he was almost always willing to take it to try and make a play. I think most often it was the attempts to make plays that offended people most. I honestly think he just sees the game differently than most people who watch it, I remember Mirtle or Siegal saying something similar on Leafs Report last summer.

Anyway definitely glad to have Barrie, not like Jake was resigning here in any event.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Good point. The battles for pucks is one thing, he was never going to win over people who want their dmen to just win board battles. Still I never saw Gardiner as soft, he was always getting hit, his back is permanently damaged for it. Until this season when he was clearly in some dehabilitating pain he was almost always willing to take it to try and make a play. I think most often it was the attempts to make plays that offended people most. I honestly think he just sees the game differently than most people who watch it, I remember Mirtle or Siegal saying something similar on Leafs Report last summer.

Anyway definitely glad to have Barrie, not like Jake was resigning here in any event.

Oh, Gardiner was definitely soft. That's what led to so many of his mistakes - he panicked to avoid a hit. He did get hit sometimes, but that was mostly when he didn't anticipate it. If he knew a hit was coming, he made sure he wasn't there to be in the way.

There's more than one way to play defense, that's for sure, and Gardiner was generally very effective. I personally prefer steady and reliable defensemen, but there's no denying that Gardiner was a good player.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I was just looking at it. I was born in 1991. Is Tyson Barrie the best right shooting D the Leafs have had in my lifetime?

Obviously guys like McCabe and Phaneuf played their off-sides but in terms of right handed shots the runner ups look like an aging Larry Murphy, Pavel Kubina, and Cody Franson... That is insane.
First name that comes to mind is Yushkevich. Jason Smith was solid too.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Oh, Gardiner was definitely soft. That's what led to so many of his mistakes - he panicked to avoid a hit. He did get hit sometimes, but that was mostly when he didn't anticipate it. If he knew a hit was coming, he made sure he wasn't there to be in the way.

There's more than one way to play defense, that's for sure, and Gardiner was generally very effective. I personally prefer steady and reliable defensemen, but there's no denying that Gardiner was a good player.

maybe it's most accurate to say that think it takes guts to play the way he does

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad