Confirmed with Link: [TOR/COL] Nazem Kadri, Calle Rosen & 2020 3rd for Tyson Barrie (50% retain), Alex Kerfoot & 2020 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think Kerfoot will do well on a 3rd line role. He is very fast and skilled, and is strong on his skates despite his small size. Some of my fellow Avs fans grew to hate him this season IMO mainly because of his reluctance to shoot and also the fact that he's not a very good finisher because his shot is well below average.
Definitely do not agree with this, Kerfoot is a top 6 or bust player who will unfortunately for Leaf fans find his way on the third line. I don't hate a lot of terrible ex-Av players, but he's up there is one of the worst.

His shot isn't well below-average, it's gotta be bottom 10 in the entire NHL. As I said on the Avs board, he sees the ice like Tanguay and is a solid playmaker, but because he knows his shot suck he overpasses the puck constantly. Additionally, he is one of the softest players on the powerplay and that will just make you hit your head against the wall. He killed so many man advantages just because he got the puck on the forecheque over other more competitive players.

Can't disagree with your post though, spot on. I would add is that Barrie's pros and cons cycle like the moon. There are weeks where he looks Erik Karlsson good, then there are weeks where he will literally cost your team wins. And it's not like his D-partner will help him or anything, Avs pretty much tried every type of defender with him and he still cycles like the moon. Interesting, at the start of the season Cole/Barrie were one of the best in the league, as the games kept coming they fell off a cliff. When Avs were out of the playoffs, Barrie and Cole were brutal, but when Barrie and Grubauer brought us to a playoff spot Barrie was unworldly with Makar and Girard. Barrie is a very risky player though, does a lot of good, but when he's not scoring points then those risks end in the back of the net. Take the good with the bad I guess.

Will be interesting how you lot deal with Newport, he has the same agent of Ryan O'Reilly, who pretty much forced his way to UFA with arbitration, going to play in the KHL, and signing an offer sheet (all in his right though). Barrie already took the Avs to arbitration and was going down the same path.

Reactions: cookie

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Barrie>>>Jake Gardiner
Kadri>>>Suspended Kadri in the playoffs
Kadris caphit for a 3rd centre <<<<Kerfoot around 3 something million
im really sad to see Naz and DowtownBrown go and i had high hopes for Rosen but imho the Leafs are better today than yesterday
Now all Dubas has to do is fire Babcock and sign $$$Marner$$$ (tm)

Reactions: kb

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Barrie trade gives Maple Leafs boost from back end
TORONTO -- Tyson Barrie believes he will fit perfectly into the system the Toronto Maple Leafs like to play after he was traded from the Colorado Avalanche on Monday.

"The Leafs offense is second to none in the League," Barrie said. "I've been playing with some pretty good players in Colorado the last couple years, and I think there's definitely some similarities here. If I can get these guys the puck in good scoring positions and jump up to create some offense, that's my game. It would be tough to find a better fit for me in the League."

Barrie, who turns 28 on July 26, was the key piece in the trade that brought him, forward Alexander Kerfoot and a sixth-round pick in the 2020 NHL Draft to the Maple Leafs for center Nazem Kadri, defenseman Calle Rosen and a third-round pick in 2020.

Barrie, who had 59 points (14 goals, 45 assists) in 78 games last season, has one season remaining on a four-year contract he signed with the Avalanche on July 31, 2016.

"We had a need, and from our view as a management team, we owe it to our forward group and [Frederik] Andersen in net to round it out as best we can and put the best possible team on the ice, particularly with defensemen who can move the puck effectively and efficiently to our forward group," Toronto general manager Kyle Dubas said.
"I think I'm just coming into my prime," Barrie said. "The last half of the year and into the playoffs, I was playing some really good hockey and I feel comfortable with where my game is at right now," Barrie said. "I can't wait to continue to improve. I'm an offensive-minded defenseman, but in the past I've been relied on to play against other teams' top lines and try to get the puck in the forwards' hands as quick as possible and jump into the play to create some offense."

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
Definitely do not agree with this, Kerfoot is a top 6 or bust player who will unfortunately for Leaf fans find his way on the third line. I don't hate a lot of terrible ex-Av players, but he's up there is one of the worst.

His shot isn't well below-average, it's gotta be bottom 10 in the entire NHL. As I said on the Avs board, he sees the ice like Tanguay and is a solid playmaker, but because he knows his shot suck he overpasses the puck constantly. Additionally, he is one of the softest players on the powerplay and that will just make you hit your head against the wall. He killed so many man advantages just because he got the puck on the forecheque over other more competitive players.

Can't disagree with your post though, spot on. I would add is that Barrie's pros and cons cycle like the moon. There are weeks where he looks Erik Karlsson good, then there are weeks where he will literally cost your team wins. And it's not like his D-partner will help him or anything, Avs pretty much tried every type of defender with him and he still cycles like the moon. Interesting, at the start of the season Cole/Barrie were one of the best in the league, as the games kept coming they fell off a cliff. When Avs were out of the playoffs, Barrie and Cole were brutal, but when Barrie and Grubauer brought us to a playoff spot Barrie was unworldly with Makar and Girard. Barrie is a very risky player though, does a lot of good, but when he's not scoring points then those risks end in the back of the net. Take the good with the bad I guess.

Will be interesting how you lot deal with Newport, he has the same agent of Ryan O'Reilly, who pretty much forced his way to UFA with arbitration, going to play in the KHL, and signing an offer sheet (all in his right though). Barrie already took the Avs to arbitration and was going down the same path.

Kerfoot could start the season on the first or second line due to Hyman's injury.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Kerfoot has played 3rd line minutes in his two years and this year scored only one less goal than Kadri managed, and scored more points on the PP as well. Kadri was a bust on the third line because it was comprised of shooters with no passer, so sorry, Kerfoot is more suited to this role because he is a passer. So unless there's a passer a la Marner on his line in Colorado he's going to continue to have trouble. Kerfoot on a line with say Moore and Kapanen, however, should do just fine.

SnizzMitch

Leafs Fan Till I Die
Jan 30, 2016
Eastern, Ontario
Side note: Now that Nazem and Jake are gone, there are officially no remaining players from that awful 4-1 collapse in 2013. Maybe we’re not cursed anymore...

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Kerfoot could start the season on the first or second line due to Hyman's injury.

More likely that Babcock will plug in Agostino or Mikheyev to fill in Hyman's spot as they fit the profile the coach wants a lot better. Why would you have another pass first player who isn't a banger on a line with Marner and Tavares?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Kerfoot has played 3rd line minutes in his two years and this year scored only one less goal than Kadri managed, and scored more points on the PP as well. Kadri was a bust on the third line because it was comprised of shooters with no passer, so sorry, Kerfoot is more suited to this role because he is a passer. So unless there's a passer a la Marner on his line in Colorado he's going to continue to have trouble. Kerfoot on a line with say Moore and Kapanen, however, should do just fine.
Lol, stat whacking like a true pro. You'll be given the truth in December and no you don't need to pay me in compensation when you tell me I am right.

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Some Avs fans are pissed so its a good trade?
I think its a good trade.

Not all of them are. It’s a good deal for both sides IMO.

Enjoy TB4, great character, great player. Exciting to watch and knows how to run a power play, very good at jumping into the play and getting shots through traffic. He’s a tremendous offensive catalyst if Babs uses him right.

Opinion on Kerf is divided. I think he’s an underrated two-way forward who can move the puck quickly and efficiently, and at the other end of the ice makes plays. He doesn’t have a lot of finish but isn’t afraid to muck it up in front of the net or down low along the boards. Can also play all three forward positions but I think he works best at LW. Ideally I think he should be on your 3rd line but can play higher in the lineup in case of injury.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Kadri > Kerfoot

Barrie gone after a year, and we're left with Rosen+Kadri for Kerfoot. Best defensive prospect for a meh.

Totally fleeced, but we needed D. We are a better team than an hour ago, but won't be 3 years from now.
Just play a season at a time. Jeez. You're not apply to predict future. Who is traded where, who signs for what etc.

Reactions: Kiwi

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Really heartbroken to see Naz gone. He was a warrior
he was, a goal scorer, can draw penalties, but at the same time take stupid penalties at the worst of times hurting his team. Hopefully he figures it out next year but i'm not betting on that. Now he gets to deal with McDavid 4-5 times a year instead of 2.

Reactions: mcleex

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
Kadris level of play gonna settle who won the trade. He can look like a highlevel 2nd line center to a low end 3rd. I’d like to see him with Landeskog. That be a though second line to play against.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Some Avs fans are pissed so its a good trade?
I think its a good trade.

Looks like a fair trade to me

I don't think Kerfoot is a world beater by any stretch but he has speed and he's a pass first type player which suits the shot first guys he will be playing with in our bottom 6 and Barrie is Barrie
He only has a year left on his deal but were not getting somebody like that with term on his deal for Kadri so we get him with the option of trying to extend him if we think it's a good idea

Kadri is a good player on a sweet deal but we can't use him to his maximum advantage on the 3rd line but the Av's can on there 2nd line, which is of great value to them and he's never going to be worth more in a trade than right now

Win win

Reactions: Boutette

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Not sure where to put this but I had a thought. Someone mentioned Gardiner is waiting until Marner signs to see if the Leafs have room for him. What if he were to wait until the season starts and then use Horton's LTIR cap overage to pay him? I'm not too interested in bringing Gardiner back, but if he wants to be here that much and take a 1 year deal. Anybody with better CBA knowledge care to lend a hand for this situation? Would be pretty serious cap circumvention.

Horton's space is already accounted for. With Ceci and Kerfoot signed there's about 11M for Marner (if Leafs run a 22 man roster) They could move Hyman and have 13.25 for Marner and a d-man, but Gardiner would need to take a crazy discount to be that dman.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Barrie is very very good, less stupid than Gardner and is amazing good at skating the puck out in the defense zone,.. kerfoot is pretty bad though don't let the 14 goals fool you he was not close to a second line winger in Colorado that they desparatly needed.. he can score but is too slow and just sub average to play anywhere higher than 3rd line
Pretty sure he is 3rd line defensive replacement of Kadri.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Not digging a hole. From the asset management side of things, I fail to see how it's a good idea to purposely put a guy in a situation to have a career year, in a contract year. Plus if your Rielly I'd have to think that'd feel like a slap on the face. By all means if Barrie on PP1 is suddenly the difference between us winning and losing games, you put him on the PP1. But currently I don't see why you put yourself in a position to overpay next year, that's all. I'd play it cautious if it were me but that's just my views on it

You’re overthinking this. Asset management has nothing to do with holding your players back. You put the lineup out on the ice that has the best chance to win you the game. If the Leafs special teams were even average in the playoffs last year the Leafs would have beaten the bruins.

I don’t know what happens with the PK this year, but I have to believe the PP will be better. If it’s Reilly, Barrie or both, who cares. Dubas is doing his best to get this team into the Finals as quickly as possible.

Tomorrow is not promised, you go for it now and then work out the following year in the off season. There are too many unknown variables to be trying to overthink them all. You gotta enjoy this upcoming season first.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I was just looking at it. I was born in 1991. Is Tyson Barrie the best right shooting D the Leafs have had in my lifetime?

Obviously guys like McCabe and Phaneuf played their off-sides but in terms of right handed shots the runner ups look like an aging Larry Murphy, Pavel Kubina, and Cody Franson... That is insane.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
Great trade for both teams. Kadri was too good for just the 3th line, Barrie (or EJ) were pure luxury for the Avs and both teams really needed what the other team gave up.

Do who is going with Avs as their West team now?

The Leafs now got a whole year to think about which D (Muzzin or Barrie) will be resigned. The Leafs will take the expansion draft in consideration I guess, because protection 4 D means exposing Kapanen or Johnsson or sending a pick to Seattle. We will deal with all of that later.

Do we expect Barrie to play with Rielly or with Muzzin??

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Ok, please give me us more information about Calle Rosén.

Averaging 0.85 points/game for Marlies is pretty decent for a defenseman (?) is there any (good) reason why he shouldn't become a top four d-man?

For me it is about confusing with almost nobody mentioning Calle in this trade but I guess you Leafs fans have some interesting inside information.

Last edited:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Great trade. The Leafs now got a whole year to think about which D (Muzzin or Barrie) will be resigned. The Leafs will take the expansion draft in consideration I guess, because protection 4 D means exposing Kapanen or Johnsson or sending a pick to Seattle. We will deal with all of that later.

Do we expect Barrie to play with Rielly or with Muzzin??
I would do Rielly-Ceci (is better than Hainsey I guess) and Muzzin-Barrie. Gives each pair a great puck mover and we can actually run breakouts on both sides of the ice instead of always feeding the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia