Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CBJ/SJS] TOR acquire Nick Foligno [75% Retained] & Stefan Noesen for 2021 1st, 2021 & 2022 4ths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
For all the Hyman comparisons one question I have is:

is the 33 year old Folingo close to as fast as Hyman? Very big part of Hyman game both on the force checking and supporting his speedy linemates is his good speed

Reactions: The Cobra

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Love it. The playoffs are a different game. We needed a player like this so bad

this allows Hyman to drive that third line which Keefe values so highly

Galchenyuk Matthews Marner
Foligno Tavares Nylander
Mikyahev Kerfoot Hyman
Thornton Spezza Simmonds

is how I see it right now
Engvall will be on that 4th line, it's too slow otherwise and neither Thornton nor Simmonds have been impactful since returning from injury. I suspect they'll be platooned unless one of them gets on a heater or Engvall stinks the joint up.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Foligno is a warrior, this fan base is pure cancer lol. I'm pumped for this move
Honestly. I think people are going to be very pleasantly surprised once game 1 starts and our 3rd line has Foligno on it and Hyman can now slot in with Tavares/Nylander. The guy is a warrior, 59% Dzone starts, and will go through the boards on the forecheck. Oh, and he's better than Kerfoot on draws, so that's just a bonus.

Don't people realize that Galch alleviated the need for another top 6 LW? If he keeps up what he's doing, there's no room in the top 6 for a pure skill guy...

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
I'll like this deal more if Dubas is able to get another goalie and a depth blueliner.

Reactions: The Cobra

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I agree, the price is more than I'd like. But this draft is universally panned and this is arguably the best team we've had in decades. Also, the player drafted with the first likely wouldn't be here for 3-4 years, if ever.
Ya I get that. Just don't think he will be a big enough upgrade to warrant the price. I really really hope I am wrong

Reactions: Kurtz

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Kind of surprised at the freak over a late first round pick.

Unless he's had the greatest decline of all time, Foligno is not a 4th liner. I hated him whenever CBJ played Toronto because he's a greasy player who finishes every hit, but if he's going to do that for my team, I'm all for it. It's not a cheap acquisition but not outlandish either. Considering the retention too.

I'm glad Dubas steered clear of Hall.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
The amount of people in here thirsting over picks. I'm gonna come back to this thread when the Leafs make a deep playoff run
You can like a player and still think they overpaid. The draft is an integral part of achieving long term success.
Palmeri and Zajac both together returned less.

Reactions: Kurtz

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Anywhere you need him, he's a 2nd/3rd line tweener, plays a hard game, would instantly improve the 2nd line, plays a nasty game that would allow Tavares and Nylander to play their skill game. He was paying 18 min ATOI a night in CLB, probably too much for a guy with his limited scoring skillset, he would be better down around 16 min a night.

Is he the 3rd line C? I really don’t see the point otherwise. How would a 16 point player do any better?

now we have what?

Galch Matthews. Marner
Kerfoot. Tavares. Nylander
Soup. Foligno. Hyman
Thornton. Spezza. Simmonds

like if you are giving a first. You have to swing for the fences. I really don’t see what this does.

we need goalie insurance and D depth more than foligno i think

Reactions: LFCTML

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Don't like it especially the price, but hey we got tougher. This better work out or the big gritty fans will have a lot of explaining to do.

Oh yes....because I forgot we have up Mathews, Nylander, Marner, Tavares and Reilly to get Nick Foligno.

Our top guys still need to show up regardless.

Reactions: Cleetus

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Seems like Dubai is rolling the dice on going for it this season.
I guess "why not" as we'll never have an easier road to get there. Our 1st would have been late round so a bit of a gamble as is.
That being said, our prospect pool is missing any clear cut A+ players. Sandin, Liljegren and Robertson our top prospects.
I've got mixed feelings about it but see the ogic in going for it now.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Solid deal Dubas.. Only one real good asset for a needed player, particularly with retention. Looks like the 4th was the retention cost to San Jose.

My only concern is that Foligno might be on his last legs .. But he brings a lotto qualities desired in the top 9.

Value here is that even with that potentially being true, the Leafs will be the team to benefit from his last impactful games. No long term downside with a rental.

Imo the bigger thing here is better to keep the top prospects in the org than this 1st.

Reactions: CapspaceKiller

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
You can like a player and still think they overpaid. The draft is an integral part of achieving long term success.
Palmeri and Zajac both together returned less.

COnsdiering we haven't won a cup in nearly 60 years....and haven't passed the 1st rd in over a decade...I think this is the last season you wanna be thinking about Picks.

We still have solid prospects in 0ur pipeline

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
Guys like him literally help win games when the grind of playoff hockey sets in. We have a lot of skill, but we definitely needed a player like him.

Playoff hockey is very different, as we've seen for years now. With Campbell playing as well as he is, and with Marner and Matthews at the top of their game, now was the time to go for it. This might be the best team we have for years to come. If a 1st is the going rate for a guy like him, then you either pay it or sit tight and do nothing. That's just the way it is.

Were a better team with him than without him, especially come playoff time.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The type of guy we needed. Steep price though. People will complain unless we win the cup. It’s not out of the ordinary to give up a first at the deadline, usually it’s for a Leetch or top line player. Foligno is a different player though. Those intangible, just hope he can still bring it at his age.

Risky trade for Dubas. At least we know it will probably be a later pick in the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad