Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CBJ/SJS] TOR acquire Nick Foligno [75% Retained] & Stefan Noesen for 2021 1st, 2021 & 2022 4ths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Good move.
This guy plays the way playoffs are played.

Now the other 4 need to learn it.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
If you try harder you can probably get asset management into a post even more times.

And yes, we are talking about the price. But in this case the marginal difference in price in the context of it's impact to our actual asset pool is negligible.

This trade going down as it did
Sandin/Liljegren/Robertson/Amirov -> Niemela -> 2021 2nd/Hirvonen/Meittinen/Hallander/Kokkonen/Kral/Abruzzeze/Abramov/

If Dubas was a great asset manager such as yourself and got him for a 2nd
Sandin/Liljegren/Robertson/Amirov -> Niemela/2021 1st ->Hirvonen/Meittinen/Hallander/Kokkonen/Kral/Abruzzeze/Abramov/

If we had a barren pool it might be an issue, but as it is...

again its not about our current pool .. its about using your assets wisely to get the most return
im all for trading the first round pick ... i couldnt give a a damn but make sure you get full value for your assets. ... but if your reward for 3 picks and a first is goddamn foligno you didnt manage your assets properly. Also im really against emptying the drawer of next years draft , thats a bad idea

BackPassChampions

Jun 26, 2015
I wish people would stop saying this. We should be in win now mode for the next decade and a pick today that might not help us until YEARS from now is still valuable since we should be in win now mode YEARS from now.

Not saying this was a bad trade, but let's stop saying that assets that won't help us for a few years have little value to us.

Remember when we decided not trade JVR, Bozak and Komarov and keep them as "own rentals" because we were in win now mode and people were saying that it made complete sense, you don't send your team the wrong message by trading guys when you "have a shot"? Wouldn't it be nice to have the bounty those guys would have returned today (even though it's YEARS later), not to mention the picks we traded away instead for short term help?

I will not and I couldn’t disagree with you more in this particular situation.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I wish people would stop saying this. We should be in win now mode for the next decade and a pick today that might not help us until YEARS from now is still valuable since we should be in win now mode YEARS from now.

Not saying this was a bad trade, but let's stop saying that assets that won't help us for a few years have little value to us.

Remember when we decided not trade JVR, Bozak and Komarov and keep them as "own rentals" because we were in win now mode and people were saying that it made complete sense, you don't send your team the wrong message by trading guys when you "have a shot"? Wouldn't it be nice to have the bounty those guys would have returned today (even though it's YEARS later), not to mention the picks we traded away instead for short term help?
Tampa traded two firsts for Coleman last year. Coleman has 21 points in 49 games for them since being acquired.

If they didn't do it... they may not have won the cup last season.

Although I agree that giving up picks and players year after years may hurt us in a few years... this is quite easily the most complete team we have iced since even before the early 2000's. This is the year Dubas had to go all in. He'd catch more criticism for not going all in, then he will for making these deals. Could see the headlines now if we were tossed in the first.... "should Dubas have traded for Foligno"..etc

Reactions: slozo and Menzinger

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I will not and I couldn’t disagree with you more in this particular situation.

You don't think we should plan on contending for the next decade? OK I guess, I don't see why not though.

Tampa traded two firsts for Coleman last year. Coleman has 21 points in 49 games for them since being acquired.

If they didn't do it... they may not have won the cup last season.

Although I agree that giving up picks and players year after years may hurt us in a few years... this is quite easily the most complete team we have iced since even before the early 2000's. This is the year Dubas had to go all in. He'd catch more criticism for not going all in, then he will for making these deals. Could see the headlines now if we were tossed in the first.... "should Dubas have traded for Foligno"..etc

I get it, and I'm not saying I don't like the trade. I'm just saying the attitude that 1st round picks don't matter because the guys we draft won't help us until 4 years from now or whatever makes no sense because 3/4/5/6/7/8 years from now, I expect us to be pretty much in the same place where we are today - in win now mode and realistically thinking about winning the cup.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
This is an unpredictable year for the draft.
Scouts have not had the opportunity to see the prospects like they usually would.
So it’s conceivable that good players might drop more than usual.

Reactions: HellasLEAF

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Will probably have to wait and see the contracts they get AFTER having produced. Guys like MacKinnon and Kadri signed market deals before producing anything.

Yep!

Mack 10-12 million next contract 10000%
Land 7-8 million
Kadri 5-6 million

Makar ALL THE MONEY

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Mike foligno

upload_2021-4-12_14-2-17.jpeg

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Well, Colorado signs their guys to bargain deals. Mckinnon only makes $6.3, Landeskog $5.5. And off course they got Kadri at $4.5.
Simce when is $6.3 million a bargain coming off of an ELC with 38 and 53 point seasons?
Kadri come off 39 and 45 point seasons.

Neither was a bargain at the time. It's easy to sit back and point at the last year of deals signed 5/6/7 seasons ago and compare strictly dollar figures.

But that's disingenuous, and not how it works in the NHL.

Reactions: Twowingcantfly

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
After watching the Dubas press conference it became clear that the team focussed on Foligno because Galchenyuk has done a great job
as a rather skilled player with great offensive potential. There was no need to trade for someone like Hall who wouldn't offer the grit, character, and sandpaper we need for the playoffs.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I watched the video where Foligno says he's not moving his kids out of the Columbus schools. That sounds like a guy who is resigning in Columbus. A first round pick for a month's rental. Nice haul for them.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
So your argument is that there's always unpredictable value in drafts. How profound. Thx nuck.

You're wecome but thats not actually what I meant. Just the less you can scout the more the uncertainty. Not profound at all, really pretty basic. If you are old enough, think back to the drafts of Scheifele and OEL who earned their high selections but needed full seasons to climb that far. Or compare the TSN mid season rankings with the year end ones in any season. In a year where there are way fewer games and a whole bunch of video scouting there figures to be a ton of blown picks. We dont even have last years Junior playoffs to look at so the sample is smaller yet.

ARoggy94

Dec 9, 2013
Ottawa
Wanted Hall but think Foligno improves our lineup.

Might get some criticism but I'd like to see Foligno-Tavares-Hyman, then experiment with Nylander on the top line. If its not lethal, you know Galch works up there. Throw Nylander on a third line with speedsters like Mikheyev and Engvall. His offensive skillset in terms of both passing and shooting with guys that get open with relative ease is something I wanna see. Soup and Engvall get a million chances playing with Kerfoot that I'd like to see them with a real threat. Might open up three dangerous lines.

Reactions: Twowingcantfly

ARoggy94

Dec 9, 2013
Ottawa
Was upset at first, mostly at the opportunity cost. Don't really care about the 1st we gave up, originally wish we'd have given it up for Hall if we had to.

Still like Foligno as an acquisition and he'll add a lot to our lineup. Opens up a lot of possibilities for our lineup. Will likely receive some criticism on this but would like to see Keefe at least experiment with a Foligno-Tavares-Hyman line which opens up a lot for our first and third line. I've liked Galch up with the top line but I'd like to see them load up the top line with Nylander but I also want to see Nylander on the third line and see if we can roll three dangerous scoring lines. I have a lot of confidence in Nylander running his own line (not as a centre) and I think two speedsters that can win some battles in Mikheyev and Engvall would work well with Nylander's offensive skillset.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Well, Colorado signs their guys to bargain deals. Mckinnon only makes $6.3, Landeskog $5.5. And off course they got Kadri at $4.5.

MacKinnon's best season when he signed his deal was a 63 point season with 24 goals in 82 games. Marner's worst season was 19 goals and 61 points in 77 games. He followed that up with 69 and 94 points. MacKinnon followed up his best season with a 38 points in 64 games and 52 points in 72 games effort. Also took him a year before he exploded. Matthews had more goals in his first season than MacKinnon had in his first two (40 goals in 82 games vs. 38 in 146 games). You can imagine Landeskog is not much different.

They got paid what they should have been paid. They just were not worth that much at the time. Our guys were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad