Confirmed Trade: [TOR/CAR] Leafs acquire Alex Galchenyuk from Carolina for Egor Korshkov and David Warsofsky

Status
Not open for further replies.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Galchenyuk is dominating with Nylander and Tavares.

He holds his own, I don't understand how he couldn't crack Ottawa's lineup.

This guy creates a scoring chance almost every shift. This game alone, he created 3-4 A grade chances. He hit the post once, made a sick drop pass to Tavares (goal), made a great pass from behind the net to Holl (goal), and he setup Spezza in the first period (who got robbed).

Even last game against Ottawa, where he didn't register a point, he was phenomenal. He hit the post, nearly scored from a wrap around, and, almost had a goal in OT.

3 Points in 4 Games so far.
He should have 2 goals 3 assists, = 5 Points in 4 games, really. He has had some bad luck hitting posts, and, getting robbed on point blank chances.

Put Galchenyuk with highly talented players and he performs. Nylander or Tavares struggles, Don't expect that he becomes a leader.
He's a Cheechoo. . He's a top 6 offensive or bust

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
If he falls off the cliff again then oh no we'll ship him out again without losing a wink of sleep. Sometimes journeymen bounce around and never find a fit, sometimes they do. If the second line also has John Tavares and William Nylander on it, we could have Jeremy Bracco on the second line and still feel pretty good. I think what you're missing here is that Galchenyuk isn't being counted on to do anything on his own. He's the third wheel, riding shotgun, getting carried, however you want to call it. He's had very little of that in his career and almost no consistent ice time with players of Tavares and Nylander's calibre. He's getting time and work with the Leafs skills coaches to see if he can be a complimentary player. If he chips in some points we're laughing. If he shrivels up and disappears, which we are all very well aware that he could, then oh well bring on Bobby Ryan or someone.

And he's only playing 11 minutes a game, which is the lower than any of our forwards other than Spezza. He's really not being relied on at all.
Agreed low risk ans plugging a hole . You said it.. you not being relied on
What you are wrong about is the second line. Just look at the recent cup winners and the balance they offered up front..some would agrue Nylander isnt a second line player come playoff time either...I would bet the farm Alex G does not start playoffs on second line...

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Agreed low risk ans plugging a hole . You said it.. you not being relied on
What you are wrong about is the second line. Just look at the recent cup winners and the balance they offered up front..some would agrue Nylander isnt a second line player come playoff time either...I would bet the farm Alex G does not start playoffs on second line...
If you're going to take the most pessimistic take of every single Leaf, go right ahead.

It's really too bad that we won't be able to count on 2nd line playoff production like 8 points in 23 games from Jakob Vrana, 3 points in 15 games from Sammy Blais, or 9 points in 23 games from Bryan Rust. Shout out to Alex Killorn though, 10 points in 24 games and 19 minutes a night is the best performance from a #6 forward in years.

Capitals keep lines the same ahead of Game Seven of Eastern Conference Final
2019 Stanley Cup Final: Projected lines, pairings for Bruins vs. Blues Game 1

The Leafs are getting some of the best depth scoring in the league. 35 goals in 34 games from guys outside our top6 (which aside from the obvious currently includes Thornton and Hyman). For comparison's sake, the Lightning have 37 goals in 34 games from their depth, and the Avs have 31 in 33. If you want to see balanced scoring, you'll see it watching Leafs games.

ShortSideFlick

Nov 2, 2011
I wonder how many other players in the league would look better going from Ottawa (or a few others) to playing with Tavares?

Is it just Galchenyuk?

Funny how if there's a thread about Tavares he's overrated, but when there's a thread about someone playing well with him who no one expected to do well then Tavares is the reason. Not meaning to attack you, I don't know your post history or really care to check it, just find the overall sentiment of the board humorously inconsistent.

I thought he looked decent last night away from Tavares. What has me most satisfied isn't his stat line but that he competes for loose pucks a lot harder than I expected. Everything about him when he was acquired was "top 6 or bust" but if he's hard on pucks the way he has been he'll be just fine wherever he is in the line up and brings some flexibility if injuries occur. Remains to be seen if it that effort level stays once he gets comfortable or it's just the short term effect of trying to earn a place while he's a fresh addition to the team.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
One thing the Leafs did that no other team tried was sending Galchenyuk to the AHL. He built up confidence down there and got used to playing in the Leafs system. He had clear instructions and a plan to follow.

He probably falls off quickly at some point but so far the gamble is paying off.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
One thing the Leafs did that no other team tried was sending Galchenyuk to the AHL. He built up confidence down there and got used to playing in the Leafs system. He had clear instructions and a plan to follow.

He probably falls off quickly at some point but so far the gamble is paying off.

He looks infinently more useful out there than Vesey. Guy was just there...

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
If he falls off the cliff again then oh no we'll ship him out again without losing a wink of sleep. Sometimes journeymen bounce around and never find a fit, sometimes they do. If the second line also has John Tavares and William Nylander on it, we could have Jeremy Bracco on the second line and still feel pretty good. I think what you're missing here is that Galchenyuk isn't being counted on to do anything on his own. He's the third wheel, riding shotgun, getting carried, however you want to call it. He's had very little of that in his career and almost no consistent ice time with players of Tavares and Nylander's calibre. He's getting time and work with the Leafs skills coaches to see if he can be a complimentary player. If he chips in some points we're laughing. If he shrivels up and disappears, which we are all very well aware that he could, then oh well bring on Bobby Ryan or someone.

And he's only playing 11 minutes a game, which is the lower than any of our forwards other than Spezza. He's really not being relied on at all.

Never had it? His best years have been with Pacioretty, Radulov, Gallagher, etc playing on each side of him while he played a top line role. He was the passenger with some excellent players for sure, not quite Tavares but not plugs. Him and Patches were consistent partners for quite a while, he was given every chance to succeed as the third wheel of a line.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Galchenyuk has a lot of talent, it's undeniable. However, I find it really weird to read that he is now "fast".

Galchenyuk is not a fast skater.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Bet Galchenyuk is going to flourish on the Leafs.

I thought the same with the Pens so good luck. He couldn't do anything with Malkin as a linemate. Maybe he will find a line to gel with the Leafs. Really big disappointment for us.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Never had it? His best years have been with Pacioretty, Radulov, Gallagher, etc playing on each side of him while he played a top line role. He was the passenger with some excellent players for sure, not quite Tavares but not plugs. Him and Patches were consistent partners for quite a while, he was given every chance to succeed as the third wheel of a line.
Cool, so he put up good years with stars and fell off, then hasn't produced offense when called on to drive lines as he's wandered around the league. I'm not making excuses for him for why he's failed to succeed around the league. In particular, falling from grace in Montreal is 100% his problem, not some mistake on the Habs' part. You're right that he's been given every chance to succeed. I suppose the argument is that of all the teams he's played for since leaving the Habs, the Leafs are trying the hardest to set him up for success. I don't know much about his time in Pittsburgh, other than he got some PP time and points with Malkin and Guentzel. Maybe he played ES with them for a while before getting demoted, dunno. But he was a 45ish point player two years ago on the Yotes, so it's not crazy that he's recovering a bit on the Leafs. I certainly hope that he continues to succeed with us and can rediscover what made him a consistent 20g/50p threat.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Galchenyuk has a lot of talent, it's undeniable. However, I find it really weird to read that he is now "fast".

He definitely looks fast, regularly the first guy in on the forecheck. He's pretty much been the exact opposite of what I expected which is slow and lazy. So far, he's looked quick and very hard working.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
Cool, so he put up good years with stars and fell off, then hasn't produced offense when called on to drive lines as he's wandered around the league. I'm not making excuses for him for why he's failed to succeed around the league. In particular, falling from grace in Montreal is 100% his problem, not some mistake on the Habs' part. You're right that he's been given every chance to succeed. I suppose the argument is that of all the teams he's played for since leaving the Habs, the Leafs are trying the hardest to set him up for success. I don't know much about his time in Pittsburgh, other than he got some PP time and points with Malkin and Guentzel. Maybe he played ES with them for a while before getting demoted, dunno. But he was a 45ish point player two years ago on the Yotes, so it's not crazy that he's recovering a bit on the Leafs. I certainly hope that he continues to succeed with us and can rediscover what made him a consistent 20g/50p threat.
He played with Tanev, McCann, Foligno, and Zuccarello the most at 5v5 last season. Last season also marked the lowest ATOI of his career.

Reactions: LeafGrief

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

He definitely looks fast, regularly the first guy in on the forecheck. He's pretty much been the exact opposite of what I expected which is slow and lazy. So far, he's looked quick and very hard working.

It isn't so much his straight line speed or agility but he seems quick out there. Its possible we're so used to seeing Thornton, Simmonds, and Tavares that he looks quick by comparison :laugh:

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
And while I'm writing all these posts about Galchenyuk, I freely admit that I was not expecting to like him. I figured he'd fallen off the cliff and to go through 6 orgs in such a short period of time, so there's no reason that he'd succeed with us as the 7th. I have been very, very pleasantly surprised so far. Hopefully it holds up.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Funny how if there's a thread about Tavares he's overrated, but when there's a thread about someone playing well with him who no one expected to do well then Tavares is the reason. Not meaning to attack you, I don't know your post history or really care to check it, just find the overall sentiment of the board humorously inconsistent.

I thought he looked decent last night away from Tavares. What has me most satisfied isn't his stat line but that he competes for loose pucks a lot harder than I expected. Everything about him when he was acquired was "top 6 or bust" but if he's hard on pucks the way he has been he'll be just fine wherever he is in the line up and brings some flexibility if injuries occur. Remains to be seen if it that effort level stays once he gets comfortable or it's just the short term effect of trying to earn a place while he's a fresh addition to the team.
Funny how I wasnt apart of that thread

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
The thing I'm most surprised about is how hard he is on the forecheck. I don't know if that's something that's always been part of his game or if it's a newer thing with him knowing he's on his last legs in the NHL.

Regardless, I'll take it. He's still got some flash to him too. At this AAV, it's a win-win for the Leafs.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The perception around Galchenyuk is a funny thing. They way he's discussed you'd swear he's been no good and playing his way out of the league for years..
but the reality is that despite being a disappointment relative to his draft position he's been a no doubt top 6 player for all but 67 games out of a near 600 game NHL career.

His combined time in Pittsburgh/Minnie/Ottawa falling out of the league amounts to less than 1 season.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Always rooted for him, and still do, even though he's a Leafs now, kid has skill, I just honestly think in a couple years something will get out about his toxic family, I think they're the reason he looks so unfocused at times...

Hands, shot selection and offensive IQ are there, wish him to really take this (probable) last chance in the NHL.

Reactions: montreal

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Take all of AGs past and flush it ,,none of it involves a massive injury and it's repercussions,,so the damage is in the head/heart,,,,we can work on that.

Dude let this sink in,,,,,we got a 6.1 200+ lb former 3rd overall pick who just turn 27 for a prospect that most leafs fans forgot about/wrote off 3 years ago.

AG will get mentoring from JT/JS/Jumbo,,their words carry weight

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

The AHL probably helped

I think it's more about AG finally having someone to play with

every team he has played on was utter trash , save for 45g on the pens ,,,,if you look at his TOI,,it looks like he got little time with the 2 big guns there.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario

That’s my exact impression so far as well. He actually looks quick and is hustling like crazy, also has the talent to make plays with Willy and JT.

Maybe it’s sunk in for him that this is probably his last chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad