Confirmed Trade: [TOR/CAR] Leafs acquire Alex Galchenyuk from Carolina for Egor Korshkov and David Warsofsky

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I always liked Chucky. He's very skilled. He's had a lot off ice issues & is really inconsistent game to game in terms of work ethic & keeping his feet moving.

He's best as winger than center. He's moved around a bit because he always wants to play center & ultimately ends up on wing.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
The perception around Galchenyuk is a funny thing. They way he's discussed you'd swear he's been no good and playing his way out of the league for years..
but the reality is that despite being a disappointment relative to his draft position he's been a no doubt top 6 player for all but 67 games out of a near 600 game NHL career.

His combined time in Pittsburgh/Minnie/Ottawa falling out of the league amounts to less than 1 season.
Galchenyuk has never been good. He skates one direction. AS good as his top line stats were in Montreal he was absolute garbage overall. Great, he scored 30 goals but he cost the team double that the defensively. He made every player who touched the ice with him worse.

But the Leaf media has been told to shine Galchenyuk up and Leaf fans eat up and regurgitate anything they are fed. So now we get posts about how he is DOMINATING.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Always rooted for him, and still do, even though he's a Leafs now, kid has skill, I just honestly think in a couple years something will get out about his toxic family, I think they're the reason he looks so unfocused at times...

Hands, shot selection and offensive IQ are there, wish him to really take this (probable) last chance in the NHL.
Nonsense ,,he is not even close to "last chance" the kid just turned 27 and Seattle is coming

There is no way on earth that Seattle does not take a crack at him

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Galchenyuk has never been good. He skates one direction. AS good as his top line stats were in Montreal he was absolute garbage overall. Great, he scored 30 goals but he cost the team double that the defensively. He made every player who touched the ice with him worse.

But the Leaf media has been told to shine Galchenyuk up and Leaf fans eat up and regurgitate anything they are fed. So now we get posts about how he is DOMINATING.

From 14 to 18 he had a 5v5 GF% of 47%, hardly "cost the team double defensively." And that's with Bergevin trying to save face and forcing him into the C spot - which he is not at the NHL level.

Edit- digging into it a little more, in the 3 seasons from 14-15 to 16-17 he was actually a + player 5v5, despite being played out of position and over his head. The shit really hit the fan when Bergevin doubled down on the "That all-offence 2 LW is a hidden 1C" strategy and played him with Drouin.

Last edited:
Reactions: banks

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Why on earth would Seattle waste their time with Galchenyuk?
Expansion teams are all about "finding those that slipped through the cracks" and 2nd/3rd chances
Given his age(27) and pedigree,, they surely give him a shot

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Galchenyuk is dominating with Nylander and Tavares.

He holds his own, I don't understand how he couldn't crack Ottawa's lineup.

This guy creates a scoring chance almost every shift. This game alone, he created 3-4 A grade chances. He hit the post once, made a sick drop pass to Tavares (goal), made a great pass from behind the net to Holl (goal), and he setup Spezza in the first period (who got robbed).

Even last game against Ottawa, where he didn't register a point, he was phenomenal. He hit the post, nearly scored from a wrap around, and, almost had a goal in OT.

3 Points in 4 Games so far.
He should have 2 goals 3 assists, = 5 Points in 4 games, really. He has had some bad luck hitting posts, and, getting robbed on point blank chances.
The kid is on absolute fire right now:thumbu:

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Expansion teams are all about "finding those that slipped through the cracks" and 2nd/3rd chances

First off, Galchenyuk didn't "fall through the cracks". He's had plenty of exposure in the league and is now a "pass through waivers/taxi squad" calibre of player. He's one of, if not the worst defensive player in the league. He needs to be sheltered like no one else and in exchange provides some paltry offence provided he's spoonfed pp time and offensive zone starts with his team's best players. Seattle should use that ice time to develop younger players who have a chance to actually mesh and grow with the team.

Secondly, in addition to the players Seattle will select in the expansion draft, they will have a lot of capspace at their disposal they can use to sign better players, or take on cap hits from other teams in exchange for draft picks. These are the considerations I'd have in the forefront if I'm filling out the roster. I wouldn't even offer a training camp invite.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I enjoyed seeing Galchenyuk's pass on Tavares' goal.

You don't see that every day, and usually not from the lower-skill players that often round out that line.

It was a treat to watch.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I have been a fan of his since he was with the Habs. Hard to still cheer for him on the Leafs but I hope he sticks.

He has the tools just it's getting to consistently be used in a complete game nightly. Last night against Edmonton is a perfect example of what he can do when he is motivated. Not saying he doesn't play when he isn't motivated just he looks like a shell of himself on previous nights.

I never questioned his work ethic and such just needing to play as close to a full game is what I question.

Now it's a small sample size, as we used to see this in Montreal could go on 2pt-3pt game in streaks. But would fall off.

Like alot of the media have stated he needs to be consistent down the stretch as he will need to stay in the league and get another contract.

Hes got to play to want to play for the Leafs, and not because it's his last chance. It will be great for him to continue with Tavares and Nylander. He is a top 6 player and can't revert down to bottom 6. He is most effect like last night in the top 6 keep him thete as long as he stay consistent and you guys will have acquired a gem for peanuts.
I can tell you what,,he looked great on the 4th line last night,,he set up Spezza for a absolute grade A chance,,IF that was a younger Spezza that's going in

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I enjoyed seeing Galchenyuk's pass on Tavares' goal.

You don't see that every day, and usually not from the lower-skill players that often round out that line.

It was a treat to watch.
yup,,, i am getting a John Anderson vibe from this kid

Reactions: Ciao

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I think that applies more to players under contract taken from another team's roster through the expansion draft.

Seattle can compete with everyone else for UFA's who aren't mere reclamation projects.

Seattle could very well be interested in Galchenyuk, but it has nothing to do with expansion.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I think that applies more to players under contract taken from another team's roster through the expansion draft.

Seattle can compete with everyone else for UFA's who aren't mere reclamation projects.

Seattle could very well be interested in Galchenyuk, but it has nothing to do with expansion.
Sure it does,,Seattle has nothing to lose ,,they have a clean 5 year window to F things up,,they can afford to fling things against the wall and see what sticks.

Folks saying "last chance",,"one foot out of the league",,it's nonsence

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
If he falls off the cliff again then oh no we'll ship him out again without losing a wink of sleep. Sometimes journeymen bounce around and never find a fit, sometimes they do. If the second line also has John Tavares and William Nylander on it, we could have Jeremy Bracco on the second line and still feel pretty good. I think what you're missing here is that Galchenyuk isn't being counted on to do anything on his own. He's the third wheel, riding shotgun, getting carried, however you want to call it. He's had very little of that in his career and almost no consistent ice time with players of Tavares and Nylander's calibre. He's getting time and work with the Leafs skills coaches to see if he can be a complimentary player. If he chips in some points we're laughing. If he shrivels up and disappears, which we are all very well aware that he could, then oh well bring on Bobby Ryan or someone.

And he's only playing 11 minutes a game, which is the lower than any of our forwards other than Spezza. He's really not being relied on at all.
He got no time at all in Montreal/Zona/Miny/Ott with anyone of JT/WN caliber

and by the TOI numbers in Pit,,he did not get much of a shot there either

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018

Uh-huh, right.

I can't speak for every Leafs fan, but I've seen most of Galchenyuk's shifts with this team and he's looked great. If it's true he's been a liability defensively on past teams, I haven't seen it so far: While on the Tavares line they haven't spent much time in the defensive zone.

Don't need the media to tell me what I can see with my own eyes, but that juvenile conspiracy-like nonsense you're spewing sound like sour grapes that he's working out so far.

Last edited:

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Sure it does,,Seattle has nothing to lose ,,they have a clean 5 year window to F things up,,they can afford to fling things against the wall and see what sticks.

Folks saying "last chance",,"one foot out of the league",,it's nonsence

I think it's more likely he returns to Toronto to be honest. They are one of the few teams in the league that can provide the kind of situation he needs to be effective (sheltered minutes/pp time with top players).

If I'm an expansion team, I'm building around youth, speed, two-way tenacity and look to build value by adding draft picks via trades (by picking up contracts or by agreeing to select certain players). Then ultimately adding talent via the draft and free agency. Galchenyuk ticks none of those boxes. He might find a niche on an existing team, but if I'm starting from scratch, he's an afterthought.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
If you're going to take the most pessimistic take of every single Leaf, go right ahead.

It's really too bad that we won't be able to count on 2nd line playoff production like 8 points in 23 games from Jakob Vrana, 3 points in 15 games from Sammy Blais, or 9 points in 23 games from Bryan Rust. Shout out to Alex Killorn though, 10 points in 24 games and 19 minutes a night is the best performance from a #6 forward in years.

Capitals keep lines the same ahead of Game Seven of Eastern Conference Final
2019 Stanley Cup Final: Projected lines, pairings for Bruins vs. Blues Game 1

The Leafs are getting some of the best depth scoring in the league. 35 goals in 34 games from guys outside our top6 (which aside from the obvious currently includes Thornton and Hyman). For comparison's sake, the Lightning have 37 goals in 34 games from their depth, and the Avs have 31 in 33. If you want to see balanced scoring, you'll see it watching Leafs games.
Lol pointing put Bryan Rust had a hat trick last night. Was a PPG player last season. 2 time cup champion who played a key role.. you better find a better argument cause you will get schooled..... its not about Hyman or Joe or simmonds...its about Alex G ... if you really deep down think he will be a vital second line player come playoff time well have i got some trades for you....look at the 2nd line of teams like Colorado Vegas tampa etc thay should be all you need to know... when healthy Pittsburgh can put a second line of malkin with a combination of zucker rust Jake Kapanen McCann lol...thats your silly argument!! Depth scoring is important thats the key idea here ...Alex G isn't depth scoring.

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
He got no time at all in Montreal/Zona/Miny/Ott with anyone of JT/WN caliber

and by the TOI numbers in Pit,,he did not get much of a shot there either
I’d argue he got all the Time in the world in Montreal but didn’t succeed. But as for the other team you are correct.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
So how many fans had to check he had a multi point night after reading the first few posts or did you guys just guess? haha. Seriously guys it's only been a few games and he has been ok. Yesterday was his best game as a Leaf.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The Nylander-Tavares-Galchenyuk line has worked really well so far. Great possession numbers. It's only been a handful of games but I havent really seen the stuff he's been criticized for in the past. He's much more aggressive and willing to throw the weight around than I thought he would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad