Confirmed Trade: [TOR/CAR] Leafs acquire Alex Galchenyuk from Carolina for Egor Korshkov and David Warsofsky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Why do Habs fans revel so much in this guy's lack of success? Seems kinda petty.

Anyways, some anticipation on the Leaf board that he might play soon.
It is petty.

On the other hand, you didn't have to endure him and his fanboys for years. You'd understand.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Isn’t the biggest problem in Ottawa decision making?
From what I've seen their biggest problems are goaltending and a lack of skill. They brought in a bunch of grinders who they thought would intimidate other teams. Instead those guys can't keep up. They also throw a ton of low chance shots at the net, but score very little.

Lots of issues there. Galchenyuk couldn't get into their lineup consistently. I have little hope.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Could be a a low key steal. Galchenyuk has improved his skating in Toronto a bit. But whoever said he couldn't skate was way off. He's definitely an awkward skater kind of like a prime Simmonds. Still effective and now the best of his career.

Still could be boom or bust and we need to see more of him to know what we have in him.

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
Galchenyuk is dominating with Nylander and Tavares.

He holds his own, I don't understand how he couldn't crack Ottawa's lineup.

This guy creates a scoring chance almost every shift. This game alone, he created 3-4 A grade chances. He hit the post once, made a sick drop pass to Tavares (goal), made a great pass from behind the net to Holl (goal), and he setup Spezza in the first period (who got robbed).

Even last game against Ottawa, where he didn't register a point, he was phenomenal. He hit the post, nearly scored from a wrap around, and, almost had a goal in OT.

3 Points in 4 Games so far.
He should have 2 goals 3 assists, = 5 Points in 4 games, really. He has had some bad luck hitting posts, and, getting robbed on point blank chances.

Reactions: supermann_98

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

This guy creates a scoring chance almost every shift. This game alone, he created 3-4 A grade chances. He hit the post once, made a sick drop pass to Tavares (goal), made a great pass from behind the net to Holl (goal), and he setup Spezza in the first period (who got robbed).

Even last game against Ottawa, where he didn't register a point, he was phenomenal. He hit the post, nearly scored from a wrap around, and, almost had a goal in OT.

He should have 2 goals 3 assists, = 5 Points in 4 games, really. He has had some bad luck hitting posts, and, getting robbed on point blank chances.
Alex G dominating LOL..dont think those words go together. If your counting on Alex to turn the leafs into a seroius contender you may be slightly disappointed....it was a depth move that plugs a hole for a time being

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Alex G dominating LOL..dont think those words go together. If your counting on Alex to turn the leafs into a seroius contender you may be slightly disappointed....it was a depth move that plugs a hole for a time being
You're right that they don't really go together, but remember that he's the third wheel on the line with 18m of forwards. Nobody expects him to turn the Leafs into a contender, but considering that we got him for cheap, it's pretty good.

And just for fun, here's some of his advanced stats so far. 4 games, 43 minutes of 5on5, mostly played with JT and Nylander. 60.5% corsi. 65% shots for. 73%xGF, 70.5% scoring chances for, 82% high danger chances for. Of course it's his linemates who are doing most of that work, but he is contributing on a line that has been... dominating. Zero chance these numbers persist, but he's off to a good start.

Reactions: Albus Dumbledore

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I wonder how many other players in the league would look better going from Ottawa (or a few others) to playing with Tavares?

Is it just Galchenyuk?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

He had wheels and skills but without 4 guys to ease his defensive responsibility things were not good

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
He’s been extremely good. More then impressed. Fast, strong, creating offense and playing great defense.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I have been a fan of his since he was with the Habs. Hard to still cheer for him on the Leafs but I hope he sticks.

He has the tools just it's getting to consistently be used in a complete game nightly. Last night against Edmonton is a perfect example of what he can do when he is motivated. Not saying he doesn't play when he isn't motivated just he looks like a shell of himself on previous nights.

I never questioned his work ethic and such just needing to play as close to a full game is what I question.

Now it's a small sample size, as we used to see this in Montreal could go on 2pt-3pt game in streaks. But would fall off.

Like alot of the media have stated he needs to be consistent down the stretch as he will need to stay in the league and get another contract.

Hes got to play to want to play for the Leafs, and not because it's his last chance. It will be great for him to continue with Tavares and Nylander. He is a top 6 player and can't revert down to bottom 6. He is most effect like last night in the top 6 keep him thete as long as he stay consistent and you guys will have acquired a gem for peanuts.

Last edited:

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
Definitely an indictment of who he's playing with IMO. He's very skilled but feels like he needs to play with talented guys to perform. Anywho, good move Dubas

Reactions: llamateizer

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
Happy to see him doing well. Always liked him since the habs drafted him, and it would be a great story if he could redeem himself. He has some flaws, but he also has skills to be a useful NHL player.

Reactions: llamateizer

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
You're right that they don't really go together, but remember that he's the third wheel on the line with 18m of forwards. Nobody expects him to turn the Leafs into a contender, but considering that we got him for cheap, it's pretty good.

And just for fun, here's some of his advanced stats so far. 4 games, 43 minutes of 5on5, mostly played with JT and Nylander. 60.5% corsi. 65% shots for. 73%xGF, 70.5% scoring chances for, 82% high danger chances for. Of course it's his linemates who are doing most of that work, but he is contributing on a line that has been... dominating. Zero chance these numbers persist, but he's off to a good start.
He had a few good games in Pitt then shipped off. He had a few decent games in Ottawa. Carolina said no. Didn't play well in Minnesota. Arizona has enough. Why do you think that is ?? He be fine in a very limited fill in role for anshort period which is about all you could ask for at this point. Be real here. Does any team win the Stanley cup with Alex on its second line???

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
He had a few good games in Pitt then shipped off. He had a few decent games in Ottawa. Carolina said no. Didn't play well in Minnesota. Arizona has enough. Why do you think that is ?? He be fine in a very limited fill in role for anshort period which is about all you could ask for at this point. Be real here. Does any team win the Stanley cup with Alex on its second line???
Remains to be seen. But right now in a limited role he's been great. He came at a perfect time. A spot in the top 6 and Leafs getting good goaltending. Also effort is there he has 36 hits in his last 25 games when that side is not exactly his game. His skating has improved. Putting 2 decent defensive players with high iq has insulated him well.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Can chucky at least still put the puck in the net? Not that the Leafs need help with that but if the Wild weren't willing to sign him, I'm curious as to how Toronto can use him

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
If he falls off the cliff again then oh no we'll ship him out again without losing a wink of sleep. Sometimes journeymen bounce around and never find a fit, sometimes they do. If the second line also has John Tavares and William Nylander on it, we could have Jeremy Bracco on the second line and still feel pretty good. I think what you're missing here is that Galchenyuk isn't being counted on to do anything on his own. He's the third wheel, riding shotgun, getting carried, however you want to call it. He's had very little of that in his career and almost no consistent ice time with players of Tavares and Nylander's calibre. He's getting time and work with the Leafs skills coaches to see if he can be a complimentary player. If he chips in some points we're laughing. If he shrivels up and disappears, which we are all very well aware that he could, then oh well bring on Bobby Ryan or someone.

And he's only playing 11 minutes a game, which is the lower than any of our forwards other than Spezza. He's really not being relied on at all.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

He is not dominating. I am happy he contributed last night, but let's be serious. He started the game on the 4th line.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Remains to be seen. But right now in a limited role he's been great. He came at a perfect time. A spot in the top 6 and Leafs getting good goaltending. Also effort is there he has 36 hits in his last 25 games when that side is not exactly his game. His skating has improved. Putting 2 decent defensive players with high iq has insulated him well.
Again this is sounding like a broken record that has beem played in Pitt, Minnesota, Ottawa, Montreal, Arizona and Carolina decided not even to play the record ! He be fine for a few games then disappear... I understand from inside source in Pitt the kid worked hard , that wasn't an issue at all. But again you must stand back and ask yourself would tampa have won eith Alex G on the second line ? Would st. louis? Pittsburgh or Washington??? The clear intellectual answer is NO. Will the leafs ? NO. Thats OK though. He there to plug a hole on a short term basis in the reg season.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Again this is sounding like a broken record that has beem played in Pitt, Minnesota, Ottawa, Montreal, Arizona and Carolina decided not even to play the record ! He be fine for a few games then disappear... I understand from inside source in Pitt the kid worked hard , that wasn't an issue at all. But again you must stand back and ask yourself would tampa have won eith Alex G on the second line ? Would st. louis? Pittsburgh or Washington??? The clear intellectual answer is NO. Will the leafs ? NO. Thats OK though. He there to plug a hole on a short term basis in the reg season.
Why are you getting so worked up over this? Leafs fans are surprised with how he's played - if it continues, great. If it doesn't, that's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad