Proposal: Tor - Buffalo

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
These threads always turn into pissing match and its hilarious.

Fellow Sabre fans we have been the worst team in the NHL bar none the last 5 years. As in Lightning late 90's bad.

That's being said, the Toronto Maple Leafs haven't won a playoff series since the lockout. No not the 12-13 lockout, I meant before the 04-05 lockout. So I don't see how the Leafs and their superior talent can talk down to anyone when they haven't played in May in 15 years.
Their superior talent doesn't have anything to do with they past 14 years and no one is trashing each others fan bases.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
You're referring to the league's official website...you know that, right? :laugh:
your referring to the website that had Matthews as the #4 center in the league...yeah everybody saw those rankings a while ago they were awful. Its not any different from NFL.com pretending to know every player. Ryan Johanson most definitely is not better than O'Reily and was 16...

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
your referring to the website that had Matthews as the #4 center in the league...yeah everybody saw those rankings a while ago they were awful. Its not any different from NFL.com pretending to know every player. Ryan Johanson most definitely is not better than O'Reily and was 16...
I'm not saying whether he is or isn't but I would hope that the NHL's website would be a little more informed then all of us armchair GM's on a free messageboard...

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Pretty much. Unless your team severely wins the trade (meaning its completely lopsided), people aren't happy. And of course, really lopsided trades don't happen all that often in the NHL.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Playoffs

ROR - 13 gp: 7pts
Nylander - 13gp: 8pts

Maybe you should do even a tiny bit of research before you spout off your misinformed opinions...

Wishful thinking, I guess.

So, are we now trying to claim we were happy with Nylander's performance in this year's playoffs? So far, I'd think we can say he had one good playoff performance, and one bad one, which is 50%. I'm going to remain optimistic that he will perform better in future playoffs, but as it stands today, performing well in 50% of the playoffs is not a high level of achievement, and at a guess, not at all what most fellow Leaf fans were hoping for.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
So, are we now trying to claim we were happy with Nylander's performance in this year's playoffs? So far, I'd think we can say he had one good playoff performance, and one bad one, which is 50%. I'm going to remain optimistic that he will perform better in future playoffs, but as it stands today, performing well in 50% of the playoffs is not a high level of achievement, and at a guess, not at all what most fellow Leaf fans were hoping for.

So what's O'Rielly's excuse for doing worse?

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

No, but some of us do see value in a 22 year old with back to back 60+ point seasons, one with the ability to play center as well.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
So, are we now trying to claim we were happy with Nylander's performance in this year's playoffs?
Please highlight where I said that instead of inventing narratives in your head.
I posted those stats because another poster claimed Nylander disappears in the playoffs as a negative when comparing to ROR when in fact, ROR is even more of a ghost.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

No, but some of us do see value in a 22 year old with back to back 60+ point seasons, one with the ability to play center as well.

OK, but my post did NOT say Nylander hasn't any value, or low value. All it said is that he's been good in 50% (1 of 2) of his playoff performances. Nylander has played well in the regular season no doubt, and he has the tools, but I'm sure a lot of fans including myself hope he will notch his play up even higher and be a consistent difference maker and a dominant player in all of the playoffs we are in.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
OK, but my post did NOT say Nylander hasn't any value, or low value. All it said is that he's been good in 50% (1 of 2) of his playoff performances. Nylander has played well in the regular season no doubt, and he has the tools, but I'm sure a lot of fans including myself hope he will notch his play up even higher and be a consistent difference maker and a dominant player in all of the playoffs we are in.
There is more than 1 of the Leafs that had a subpar playoffs, i hope they all develop. I will restate my stance in here, 2-3C (which is what ROR would be here as he isn't bumping Matthews, or possibly Kadri) isn't our biggest need. If we are dealing one of our biggest assets, then we would need to address our biggest need....defense.

Jan 21, 2018
lol of course sabre fans complain about nylander's playoff performance, it the one thing leaf fans can't use to undervalue sabre players.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Please highlight where I said that instead of inventing narratives in your head.
I posted those stats because another poster claimed Nylander disappears in the playoffs as a negative when comparing to ROR when in fact, ROR is even more of a ghost.

I read the posts. Drawing attention to Nylander's playoff performances as your post did does seem a trifle odd given how he underperformed in this years playoffs. The cliche "people living in glass houses shouldn't be throwing rocks" seems apropo.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
ROR gets traded for Zadorov.

ROR wins a few more faceoffs and now he's suddenly worth Nylander + 1st ++++

Sabres fans are hilarious. What has ROR done since his time in Colorado to inflate his trade value so much?

As a neutral fan this just seems like he's being overrated by his fanbase, which is a common trait on hfboards
Signed a contract?

And ROR is underrated, even by Sabres fans.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I read the posts. Drawing attention to Nylander's playoff performances as your post did does seem a trifle odd given how he underperformed in this years playoffs. The cliche "people living in glass houses shouldn't be throwing rocks" seems apropo.
Ok...I'll try to lay it out more clearly for you.

1. A Sabres fan mentioned that Nylander disappears in the playoffs when comparing value to ROR.
2. I posted ROR's and Nylander's playoff numbers.
3. ROR has worse playoff numbers
4. Ergo, citing that you wouldn't trade ROR for Nylander based on Nylander's playoff performance is a logical fallacy.

We all on the same page, now?

Last edited:

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Fellow Sabre fans we have been the worst team in the NHL bar none the last 5 years. As in Lightning late 90's bad.

That's being said, the Toronto Maple Leafs haven't won a playoff series since the lockout. No not the 12-13 lockout, I meant before the 04-05 lockout. So I don't see how the Leafs and their superior talent can talk down to anyone when they haven't played in May in 15 years.
When was the last time a team finished an NHL season in 31st place?

Better yet, when was the last time a team that finished in 31st place made fun of a team that finished in 6th place. Lol.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Ok...I'll try to lay it out more clearly for you.

1. A Sabres fan mentioned that Nylander disappears in the playoffs when comparing value to ROR.
2. I posted ROR's and Nylander's playoff numbers.
3. ROR has worse playoff numbers
4. Ergo, citing that you wouldn't trade ROR for Nylander based on Nylander's playoff performance is a logical fallacy.

We all on the same page, now?
You need to forget about that guy, he's like a Nun at an all boys Catholic school...he's in every Leafs thread smacking Leafs fans on the knuckles with a ruler if we don't behave up to his standards.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
You need to forget about that guy, he's like a Nun at an all boys Catholic school...he's in every Leafs thread smacking Leafs fans on the knuckles with a ruler if we don't behave up to his standards.
I wouldn't even mind that if I could follow this thought process :laugh:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I wouldn't even mind that if I could follow this thought process :laugh:
Oh that's easy...

A. All proposals must favor the other team heavily, they cannot help Toronto, otherwise we are just crazy Leafs fans.
B. We are not allowed to have a differing opinion on player evaluation, every non-Leaf player must be praised.

Just follow those 2 basic rules, and you'll be fine.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I like to keep my proposals reasonably simple and straight to the point.

Toronto:

William Nylander
1st 2018
possibly another minor piece

Buffalo:

O'Reilly, Ryan

Discuss.

How about something along the line of:

Nylander, Dermott and the 1st (and a cap dump like Hainsey?)
for
Leddy, Cizikas, Ho-Sang and a #2.

You get a replacement for Bozak and a 2/3 defenseman (I don't classify Leddy as a #1 but last year was an aberration due to the injuries on the back line), plus a good wing prospect, while we get some protection for not signing JT, plus a good D prospect. We get back into the first round late to get someone like Alexeyev or Sandin on defense.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Seems like both teams' fans don't like the idea.

Good value OP for the Sabres IMO just not the return we would need for ROR.

Ironically enough - a similar return for what we paid would work. Established Top 4 D to partner Dahlin, a young forward with upside plus a 1st does it IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad