Proposal: Tor - Buffalo

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Anytime, that I see a Toronto and Buffalo trade thread, I just laugh. There isn't a chance either fan base is going to agree on anything even if the trade was utterly palatable to both sides. Ryan O'Reilly makes a ton of sense for Toronto, but is Buffalo going to trade him to their cross border and direct rival. Absolutely NOT. It would have to be an utter win for the Sabres. Would Nylander look great in Buffalo, absolutely. However, again there will never be an agreement from either side. I can tell you from my personal value metric, Gardiner is worth less than Scandella. I don't want him on my blue line. Close the thread.
To be fair. In all the years I have been coming to this site, there has never be a fair trade for either team if it involves Toronto.

Reactions: pmwlker

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Or the fact he's on the worst team in the league and hasn't had consistent teammates or a winning culture to reinforce his abilities. He's played some of if not the toughest minutes in the league. He's great in the face off circle, he is great in the community. However, he's just done in Buffalo. I think he's going to be moved. The comments by both Botterill and O'Reilly don't put a dagger in the relationship / situation. However, with Botterill wanting to play faster, get younger and make sweeping changes: O'Reilly has the most value to take to market. So he's the first guy on the block. Then you're looking at Rasmus Ristolainen and Alex Nylander. Neither of which are Botterill guys. Though there is no guarantee Risto will be moved. Just making clear observations.
Didn't say that it's likely that ROR would decline, said that it's more likely than Nylander having peaked in his 21yo season, which was the assertion by the poster that I replied to

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Don’t Be so dramatic. It’s not that bad of a deal. Bit of an over payment. ROR is a 60 point 2 way centre. Great in the face offs and good defensively. Nylander is a soft 60 point winger that seemed to disappear come playoff time.

Would I try to make a deal for ROR? Absolutely. Would I trade Nylander for him. No I wouldn’t. If there isn’t a deal to be made there then, so be it.

We already have a 60 point two way centre in Nazem Kadri who might not be as good in the dot or defensively but puts up more goals, same amount of points and comes in at $4.5M, $3M less than what O’Reilly makes. Nylander just turned 22, put up multiple 60 pt seasons and has been named rookie of the month last year like 3 times. Absolutely no way I’m ever giving up on this guy so soon and I’m baffled to see how many fans are throwing this guy in trade proposals like he’s fodder. The OP proposal is a MASSIVE overpayment especially considering O’Reilly is pretty much what we already have in Kadri. The best part? Kadri comes at a fraction of the price and doesn’t crash his drunk ass into Tim Horton’s. This coming from a pretty big fan of O’Reilly.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Nylander holds a great deal of value. He and a first-round pick aren't equal to ROR.
Agreed.
ROR is 27, has 5 years left on his contract, all 5 prime years, just broke the single season record for face off wins and is considered one of the top 3 premier shut down line 1 or 2 centers in the league.
Nylander, a late 1st and a small add don't remotely get it done imo.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
C > W
Better player > not as good player
ROR > W. Nylander and additional stuff

The trade you offered doesn’t at all meet Buffalo’s need. Buffalo needs to trade their best defensive forward for a one dimensional winger like they need to amputate their own leg. It doesn’t help when ROR can produce the same or more points than Nylander while being one of the best defensive forwards in the league.

Counter: let’s reunite the brothers! A. Nylander for Liljegren

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Nylander is a soft 60 point winger that seemed to disappear come playoff time.

Playoffs

ROR - 13 gp: 7pts
Nylander - 13gp: 8pts

Maybe you should do even a tiny bit of research before you spout off your misinformed opinions...

Wishful thinking, I guess.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
So your point is... nothing. As expected.
Lol. Ok. Look I won't even use any leafs or sabres...

Crosby,Mcdavid,Malkin,Stamkos, Ovechkin,Kucherov,Tavares, Scheifele, gaudreau, Barkov, Pastrnak, Kane, Hall, Mackinnon, Benn, Seguin Bergeron, Marchand Wheeler Kopitar

Would you look at that. No O'Rielly.....

So let's hear your expert breakdown as to why O'Reilly is better then these guys.....

Last edited:

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010

Crosby,Mcdavid,Malkin,Karlsson, Doughty,Kucherov,Tavares, Scheifele, Hedman, Barkov, Bobrovsky, Rinne, Hall, Mackinnon, Benn, Seguin Bergeron, Marchand Wheeler Subban

So let's hear your expert breakdown as to why O'Reilly is better then these guys.....

Actually, the poster you are responding to made a claim about O'Reilly's ranking as a forward in the league. Why do you have goalies and defensemen on your list?

As for the trade, both teams need D, so this makes little sense for either team.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Actually, the poster you are responding to made a claim about O'Reilly's ranking as a forward in the league. Why do you have goalies and defensemen on your list?

As for the trade, both teams need D, so this makes little sense for either team.
Missed that. I'll easily fix my list

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

Crosby,Mcdavid,Malkin,Stamkos, Ovechkin,Kucherov,Tavares, Scheifele, Hedman, Barkov, Pastrnak, Kane, Hall, Mackinnon, Benn, Seguin Bergeron, Marchand Wheeler Kopitar

What's your methodology?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Way to miss the point, here, i'll make you happy and take your bait...it doesn't matter how we evaluate ROR, because trading Nylander+ for a 2C is useless. Again, if Nylander is traded, it will be for defense.
Fair. Not that I commented on the proposal, though; I was just pointing out how utterly wrong it is to claim that ROR is anything close to a 2C.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Where to start...?

1. No one cares about unquantifiedable ranks. They mean nothing.

2. But since youre claiming he is....according to the first list Google provides, he is in fact not a top 20 center #NHLTopPlayers: Top 20 Centers

3. The premise is horrible for Toronto in terms of value AND need and they'd have to stifle their laughter to respond to GMJE's call with a polite 'No, thanks'
anyone who doesn't think O'Reily is a top 20 center isn't credible to me.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
anyone who doesn't think O'Reily is a top 20 center isn't credible to me.

That's fine. Although I'm not sure the demand on HFboards to be thought of as credible by you is very high.

The original comment that started all this is below;

Ryan O'Reilly is a top 20 forward in the league.

They're taking it even further by saying he's not only a top 20 centre but a top 20 forward, in which I replied with the list from NHL.com that doesn't even have him as a Top-20 centre so you'll have to take up your issue with them.

Here is their contact form link;

Contact Us

Please let me know what they come back with in terms of your thoughts on their credibility.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
These threads always turn into pissing match and its hilarious.

Fellow Sabre fans we have been the worst team in the NHL bar none the last 5 years. As in Lightning late 90's bad.

That's being said, the Toronto Maple Leafs haven't won a playoff series since the lockout. No not the 12-13 lockout, I meant before the 04-05 lockout. So I don't see how the Leafs and their superior talent can talk down to anyone when they haven't played in May in 15 years.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
That's fine. Although I'm not sure the demand on HFboards to be thought of as credible by you is very high.

The original comment that started all this is below;

They're taking it even further by saying he's not only a top 20 centre but a top 20 forward, in which I replied with the list from NHL.com that doesn't even have him as a Top-20 centre so you'll have to take up your issue with them.

Here is their contact form link;

Contact Us

Please let me know what they come back with in terms of your thoughts on their credibility.
either way anyone who doesn't have O'Reily as a top 20 center obviously doesn't watch hockey they just pretend and look at box scores.

Jan 21, 2018
ROR gets traded for Zadorov.

ROR wins a few more faceoffs and now he's suddenly worth Nylander + 1st ++++

Sabres fans are hilarious. What has ROR done since his time in Colorado to inflate his trade value so much?

As a neutral fan this just seems like he's being overrated by his fanbase, which is a common trait on hfboards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad