Eklund Rumor: TOR and VAN in a dogfight for Hanifin

Feb 19, 2018
Why would a contendingmarner/Nylander team trade a 60 point 22 year old for a pick? Nylander is what you're hoping the 7th becomes. If the projected 3rd OA Zadina is scoring 60 points at 20 that's the trajectory you're hoping for.

True. In a salary cap world though ELC’s are like gold and having 3 more cost effective years in control play a role. Resigning Matthews/Marner/Nylander roughly around the same time will not be easy. Also at 7th overall I’m hoping for more then a 60pt forward but that’s just the fun part about looking at potential

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Leafs only do it if they can make it happen with out any of their core youth: Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Dermott, Liljegren.

Rielly and Kadri also off the table.

Also people saying Toronto isnt interested in LHD should keep in mind that it would allow them to walk away from Gardiner who only has one year left on his deal. Maybe deal him to recoup some assets to help replace what they gave for Hanifin in this scenario

Reactions: 93gilmour93

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Carolina is not rebuilding and selling off our good, young players for picks and prospects.

your new GM seems to be more than willing to look at blowing up your team, but sure, keep pushing the narrative that you guys aren't selling off your players.

FWIW: Draft picks are probably the best commodity for your GM, because if he wants to build a new team in his own image, draft picks give him the ability to pick exactly who he wants.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
your new GM seems to be more than willing to look at blowing up your team, but sure, keep pushing the narrative that you guys aren't selling off your players.

FWIW: Draft picks are probably the best commodity for your GM, because if he wants to build a new team in his own image, draft picks give him the ability to pick exactly who he wants.
Where's the evidence they want to blow up and rebuild? The brain trust wants to make the playoffs. The coach has even higher ambitions. How do you go into rebuild mode when you've already been in rebuild mode for years and have one of the youngest teams? The goal is move forward, not backwards and start over.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI

Except, we're not.

At this point, I'm only expecting that Skinner and Rask go. Maybe one of Hanifin/Faulk as well if the deal works, but that's it. There's not going to be this big fire sale that many on HF have convinced themselves is happening. Skinner and Rask can be had for reasonable value, but if anyone wants any of the defensemen, they're going to need to pay accordingly.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Leafs only do it if they can make it happen with out any of their core youth: Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Dermott, Liljegren.

Rielly and Kadri also off the table.

Also people saying Toronto isnt interested in LHD should keep in mind that it would allow them to walk away from Gardiner who only has one year left on his deal. Maybe deal him to recoup some assets to help replace what they gave for Hanifin in this scenario

If Hanifin is getting none of those players you've listed, then Gardiner isn't recouping shit. His trade value is me, and I've never played ice hockey.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Noah Hanifin NCAA draft year: 37GP 5G 18A 23P

Quinn Hughes NCAA draft year: 37GP 5G 24A 29P

No thanks I'd rather have Hughes than to give up 7th + something else for Hanifin

Hf's love affair for new shiny toys is ridiculous. Yeah, those extra 6 assists is undoubtedly going to translate into a great nhl career with no chance of disappointment.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

We’re not pushing any narrative. You, and many others on here, are either unwilling or incapable of understanding the words of Dundon/Waddell/Brind’amour.

You’re welcome to think whatever you want, obviously, but the team has given no indication whatsoever of selling off assets. They are attempting to be competitive and will look to upgrade some players they don’t feel help them reach that goal.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Sounds like "reporter" just trying to make a story. I can't imagine why the Leafs would trade for Hanifan when long term they set with Reilly, Dermot and Borgman at LHD. And Canucks have cap space, they could probably sign a cost effective UFA within a year or two and keep their pick.
And Hanifan, has shown he's the much of difference maker though admitting he still has upside.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I could see the Leafs fighting over a D man....but not a leftie...

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: iSophagus

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Makes zero sense for Toronto based on need and cost. He isn't going to step in and improve anything from the bottom pair, unless a trade trigger the Leafs to move Gardiner.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
If the TML were to trade Gardiner and use those assets (likely a 1st) plus their 2018 1st I would think they are gonna try to grab a RHD if available. If we needed a LHD it would be something i’d be down for because Hannifin is certainly a top 4. Reality is he is really not what we should be targeting.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
no interest in Hanifin to the Leafs. Canucks probably feel similarly, since Hanifin isn't really worth what he would cost

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad