Eklund Rumor: TOR and VAN in a dogfight for Hanifin

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
[mod]

There is so much wrong with just that one article

He is basically proposing that the Blackhawks are going to send Crawford to the Island, and flip Toews for Schneider+.

The Islanders want to trade for a goalie who has vertigo-like symptoms? What do they realistically move?

Toews to NJD would make sense as it gives them a 1-2, but if they lose Schneider their goaltending becomes weak, and they have a LOT of cap tied up in Toews --- so that is where it stops making sense to me.

"It is possible I am told that JvR stays and Phil Kessel is moved on" --- wait what? The likelihood of JVR resigning is minimal, and why would Pittsburgh trade Phil Kessel with the cap hit he carries?

"I am told the Winnipeg Jets are Hot and Heavy for Domi and I just found out they tried to grab Max at the deadline. The Sabres have also expressed some interest.." No **** people are asking about Max Domi, but I highly doubt Winnipeg buys in --- the pieces Arizona would want back are all just better pieces than Domi, and Buffalo does make sense but so do many other teams

"The Oilers are having "high level discussions" regarding Klefbom and the Anaheim Ducks...no word on any possible return yet..." Yeah because the Ducks of ALL TEAMS want to trade for a left-handed D-Man ... lmfao

The Hanifin (so to OP) **** is the best.

Why would Toronto bid an arm and a leg for a LD, when they already have Morgan. Don't get me wrong, Hanifin is great and I'm sure the Leafs would love to have him, but their most pressing need is on the opposite side of the ice. Vancouver absolutely makes sense, but if Hanifin was really up for sale, the Habs would be all over it as well --- they need an LD more than any other team in the league, and his value in the bleu blanc et rouge would skyrocket, because he would get to be mentored by Shea Weber, and he would join a young(ish) core of Drouin/Galchenyuk/Zadina/Mete/Juulsen/Gallagher
Maybe they pick up Hanifin and trade off Gardiner?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
We could use an improvement certainly, we have too many bottom pairing guys to simply take another D on though.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
So am I right to say Carolina wouldn't want any defense in return for Hanifin and they are looking for forwards and goaltending

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
So am I right to say Carolina wouldn't want any defense in return for Hanifin and they are looking for forwards and goaltending

Could use high-end RHD specs as our D depth is basically LHDs, McKeown, and a longshot Luke Martin who is a few years out.

So, might have interest in a guy like Liljegren as part of a return, but otherwise "no D"

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Could use high-end RHD specs as our D depth is basically LHDs, McKeown, and a longshot Luke Martin who is a few years out.

So, might have interest in a guy like Liljegren as part of a return, but otherwise "no D"
I could absolutely see these two teams as trading partners

Feb 19, 2018
Would be a perfect 3 way trade scenario with Tanev and Hanifin and Nylander involved. Obviously other parts flying all over with the biggest add from Vancouver’s perspective.

Feb 19, 2018
A #2 Dman is nothing to scoff at and being a right shot on a great contract is very difficult to acquire. Maybe the 7th overall and Sven Beartchi for Nylander then flip him for Hanifin. Would make sense for Toronto to offset most of Nylanders points on a cost effective contract.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
A #2 Dman is nothing to scoff at and being a right shot on a great contract is very difficult to acquire. Maybe the 7th overall and Sven Beartchi for Nylander then flip him for Hanifin. Would make sense for Toronto to offset most of Nylanders points on a cost effective contract.

The guy with a career high of 35 points is going to replace "most" of Nylander's offense?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Why would either team offer up enough to force the Hurricanes hand? Toronto needs a stay at home top 4 RD, and Hanifin isn't that defenceman. Vancouver is far from contending so moving valueable assets which they aren't exactly swimming in makes no sense

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
And the canes don’t need to trade an nhl defenseman for a lottery ticket that might never play an NHL game.
Although that 7th overall pick may be needed as a trade chip for a team willing to part with a goalie or center. I agree canes don’t need the pick for the future but more to be used in a subsequent trade with a team in no need of defensive help.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Why would either team offer up enough to force the Hurricanes hand? Toronto needs a stay at home top 4 RD, and Hanifin isn't that defenceman. Vancouver is far from contending so moving valueable assets which they aren't exactly swimming in makes no sense
The 7th overall pick may just generate if lucky a player just like.... Hanifin. With the glut of lhd on the Canucks right now I’d have to think a bunch of other guys are getting moved.

Feb 19, 2018
The guy with a career high of 35 points is going to replace "most" of Nylander's offense?

If you pro rated ice time I’m sure you’d be surprised with the outcome. What’s with Leaf fans overrating value on their players
Complaining about a 7th overall draft pick and youngish 20 goal scorer when healthy is fair value and probably spot on.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
If this IS* true, I'd bet your life that Kadri is on the other end of the deal.

*it isn't

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If you pro rated ice time I’m sure you’d be surprised with the outcome. What’s with Leaf fans overrating value on their players
Complaining about a 7th overall draft pick and youngish 20 goal scorer when healthy is fair value and probably spot on.

But he hasn't been healthy for a full season.. ever. If he can't get ice time on a bottom feeder why on Earth would we give him ice time over our wingers?

Tanev + 7th is closer to fair value than Baertschi + 7th is.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Yes admittedly it looks like several wild rumours and 1 borrowed rumour.

I am starving for trade rumours, but not that bad.

MODS can close this if they like. I can't behind anything here.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Edit - I will say this though. I am not married to any of the LHD on TOR. I don't mind Rielly and Dermott. I really dislike Gardiner. I don't know enough about Hanifin to say that he's an upgrade, but I also don't see our left side as being complete. In the past TOR's D never had the draft pedigree that these guys have.

I have no idea what Dubas plans to do, but I can't imagine this is the LHD of a contender.

Last edited:

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

lol

How about we just give you Leivo for Tanev if that's the case. Just prorate Leivo's performance to his ice time and you will be surprised with the outcome.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Hanifin is a fine young defenseman, but he's an L shot and we have Gardiner, Rielly and Dermott on that side already.

And there's no way CAR parts with him for anything less then two picks (2018 1st, 2019 2nd) and one of Kapanen, Johnsson or Brown.

I just don't see a deal here.

On the other hand I would be very interested in Faulk (RD, good point shot, more proven) for a similar price.

Reactions: connormcmuffin
Feb 19, 2018
lol

How about we just give you Leivo for Tanev if that's the case. Just prorate Leivo's performance to his ice time and you will be surprised with the outcome.

The main component to the trade is the 7th overall pick it the draft. I don’t get it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad