Proposal: Tor - ana - wpg

Quackers18

Feb 17, 2015
Hey remember when the Ducks were going to pick Trouba in the 2012 NHL draft and chose Hampus instead.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Rather sign Trouba to an identical contract to Rielly or Jones and then play him on the left. We'd then have him for 6 years vs Fowler's 2, and Kapanen isn't enough considering the Jets depth at wing to want to lose those 4 years of a D.

if that was possible it would already be done.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I really hope Trouba gets traded so we can see his true value. A lot of people are going to be wrong either way.

Ducksgo*

I don't think the Jets would bite.

Fowler is too soft and poor defensively. Kapanen is redundant as the Jets have an embarassment of riches on the wings.

Yah and JVR can't put up the points we need for a true winger that can actually play our style of hockey. I agree this trade is horrible.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yah and JVR can't put up the points we need for a true winger that can actually play our style of hockey. I agree this trade is horrible.

Hasn't JVR historically lit up Anaheim since the Leafs acquired him?

I'd wager he's no worse then a Pt/Game

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Hasn't JVR historically lit up Anaheim since the Leafs acquired him?

I'd wager he's no worse then a Pt/Game

He probably has, because the Leafs as a whole have, particularly any line Kessel has been on. Not that I think particularly strong one way or the other on the question, but that says nothing about how he'd play within the Ducks. Over the past years, the Ducks had the biggest problems with teams playing a completely different game, and Toronto does fall more into that category.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Congrats he plays them a whole 2 times a year. :shakehead

Wow I didn't know you could count.

He probably has, because the Leafs as a whole have, particularly any line Kessel has been on. Not that I think particularly strong one way or the other on the question, but that says nothing about how he'd play within the Ducks. Over the past years, the Ducks had the biggest problems with teams playing a completely different game, and Toronto does fall more into that category.

His point production hasn't really dropped off with the departure of Kessel, same with Bozak actually. JVR probably should have been on pace for more points before the injury but they tried to force the JVR-Kadri thing again but they have no chemistry and Kadri was really snake bitten early in the year.

Either way, I don't see how anyone is going to say that a 6'3 winger who can skate, and can snipe, and is willing to play around the net won't be a fit.

The people calling JVR soft etc just come off as stupid "hey he lit us up, but he's soft and sucks" - So that either says something about the team or the poster making the statement. Personally I am leaning towards the poster as I think the Ducks have a solid team.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Trouba is a high value core player to us. None of these offers are close to appetizing.

We have ZERO need for pieces like Holland, 2nd round pick, etc.
Leaf fans wouldn't entertain a palace of 3-4 pieces for Rielly, and we won't for trouba. The ppl arguing how it's "good value" look stupid.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Edit:

To Winnipeg:
Travis Dermott
Cam Fowler
Leaf's 2017 2nd round pick
Peter Holland

To Toronto:
Jacob Trouba
Ondrej Pavelec

To Anaheim:
James Van Riemsdyk
Kasperi Kapanen
Pretty solid 3 way, which doesn't happen here often. Fans may want to nit pick and say it's not the right value, but it's good value for all 3 teams IMO. Does well to address team needs to my knowledge .

Jets getting rid of Pavelec is being overlooked I think.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Pretty solid 3 way, which doesn't happen here often. Fans may want to nit pick and say it's not the right value, but it's good value for all 3 teams IMO. Does well to address team needs to my knowledge .

Jets have lots of cap space and Pavs' contract is done after this season. They have no motivation to give up any value to dump Pavs.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Edit:

To Winnipeg:
Travis Dermott
Cam Fowler
Peter Holland

To Toronto:
Jacob Trouba
Ondrej Pavelec

To Anaheim:
James Van Riemsdyk
Kasperi Kapanen

Yeah I think this is a great deal all around - however, I think Kapanen can be removed from the deal entirely.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
In terms of hypothetical 3-way trades, where we aren't signing Trouba, I'd do this.

Not a chance. The Jets are ready to focus on contending. They won't be giving up a core piece like Trouba for lesser pieces. If anything, they should be trading some of their surplus prospects for a higher end player.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Meh.

Better.

Yeah I think this is a great deal all around - however, I think Kapanen can be removed from the deal entirely.

I think the Leafs need to add Matthews going to Winnipeg from how they value Trouba on here. Fowler is apparently garbage.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
And yet you didn't like trading Rielly in the other thread for a bunch of pieces.

Pretty telling when the shoe is on the other foot you don't like it.

If that deal is bad for the Leafs, this one is for the Jets.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=120719969&postcount=12

Myers is fair value for Gardiner.

The rest of the stuff didn't add up properly.

We also basically only have Rielly and Gardiner. Trading both of them in a 3-way trade where only Myers is coming back to help out our active top 4 really hurts.

We don't have your depth where if Trouba goes, Fowler is coming back and you're adding Fowler to Myers, Buff, and Enstrom. Plus you have Morrisey too.

We basically have Rielly and Gardiner. Zaitsev is a mystery box, and our top 2 D prospects are Dermott, and Nielsen. While I do like them as prospects, I have to acknowledge they aren't as good as Morrisey at this time, maybe things change in a few years.

Reality is we're probably 1-2 years behind Winnipeg in terms of a rebuild. We really need to address defense and goaltending long term. I actually really like how Winnipeg is looking long term.

Last edited:

Leafsforlife98

Nov 2, 2011
I tried to re-do this to address the LHD aspect for Winnipeg (and give them salary relief) and then get Anaheim a good top 6W, and top 6W prospect.

To Winnipeg:
Travis Dermott
Cam Fowler
Peter Holland

To Toronto:
Jacob Trouba
Ondrej Pavelec

To Anaheim:
James Van Riemsdyk
Kasperi Kapanen

That is so brutal for the Leafs I can't even.

JVR (1st line LW)
Dermott (#1 d prospect)
Kapanen (#4 or 5 forward prospect)
Holland (3rd line forward)
2nd round pick

For

Trouba (Potential #1 rhd with high contract demands)
Pavelec (Cap dump)

That is brutally one sided for Winnipeg. Yet I bet their fans will somehow say it is not enough.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That is so brutal for the Leafs I can't even.

JVR (1st line LW)
Dermott (#1 d prospect)
Kapanen (#4 or 5 forward prospect)
Holland (3rd line forward)
2nd round pick

For

Trouba (Potential #1 rhd with high contract demands)
Pavelec (Cap dump)

That is brutally one sided for Winnipeg. Yet I bet their fans will somehow say it is not enough.

1. I know it is, I did it purposely

2. Bingo.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Myers is fair value for Gardiner.

The rest of the stuff didn't add up properly.

We also basically only have Rielly and Gardiner. Trading both of them in a 3-way trade where only Myers is coming back to help out our active top 4 really hurts.

We don't have your depth where if Trouba goes, Fowler is coming back and you're adding Fowler to Myers, Buff, and Enstrom. Plus you have Morrisey too.

We basically have Rielly and Gardiner. Zaitsev is a mystery box, and our top 2 D prospects are Dermott, and Nielsen. While I do like them as prospects, I have to acknowledge they aren't as good as Morrisey at this time, maybe things change in a few years.

Reality is we're probably 1-2 years behind Winnipeg in terms of a rebuild. We really need to address defense and goaltending long term. I actually really like how Winnipeg is looking long term.

Thank you for a reasonable reply. I agree with what you are saying here in that it's not "exactly" the same due to the teams other assets, but it's close enough though IMO.

My point is, one of the arguments earlier for the Jets to supposedly take the deal on this thread was "value". That somehow the pieces that the Jets fans are saying don't add much (like Holland and the pick) should then just be moved for something of value.

That argument could also just be made to the other thread. You lose two top 4 D and get 1 back, but you could take all that other "value" and make up for it.

That's where a lot of these deals on HF never make sense IMO. You just can't add a bunch of pieces on one side of the ledger and then say, look at all that value. The pieces have to actually have value to the other team specifically. Especially when the piece that other team is trading away is exactly what they really need.

It's not like moving Trouba for Fowler (still only 2 years left) and a nice D prospect is the end of the world (if Trouba decides he doesn't want to sign (which there are no indications of as of today)), but it's no where near ideal for the Jets. Especially when you see how much young RHD (Jones, Larssen) can return in a one for one. That's a much better outcome for the Jets, and if the Jets put Trouba on the market, IMO they would have offers that make much more long term sense than this one IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad