Proposal: Tor - ana - wpg

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I saw your proposal bottom line Trouba<<<< Fowler and Dermont doesn't address a need either Rielly is still better then Fowler and that's what Cheveldayoff would be seeking and the odds that BM moves Fowler to another West team is Nil if he wasn't willing to move Andersen to the west then i doubt he moves Fowler within the West at least i would be shocked if it happened.

Any perceived difference in value between Trouba/Rielly/Fowler is made up with the additional assets Winnipeg gains and losing Pavelec off the books.

Fowler-Buff
Enstrom-Myers

Very solid top 4.

TOR
In: Trouba, Pavelec
Out: JVR, Dermott, 2nd 2017, Holland, Kapanen

ANA
IN: JVR, Kapanen
Out: Fowler

WPG
In: Fowler, Dermott, TOR 2nd 2017, Holland
OUT: Trouba, Pavelec

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Any perceived difference in value between Trouba/Rielly/Fowler is made up with the additional assets Winnipeg gains and losing Pavelec off the books.

Fowler-Buff
Enstrom-Myers

Very solid top 4.

TOR

ANA

WPG
Still doesn't work for Winnipeg unless Cheveldayoff goes with protecting 4 D men instead of 3 D men route Buff (NMC) Enstrom NMC) Myers There's your protected 3 right there not including Fowler. Though it's looking like Cheveldayoff might go the 8+1 rout in the expansion draft so Fowler might be protected then. Edit sorry for some reason i thought Myers had a NMC i guess he doesn't might work then. Still doubt that BM moves Fowler in the west all the talk is with Eastern Conference teams.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Still doesn't work for Winnipeg unless Cheveldayoff goes with protecting 4 D men instead of 3 D men route Buff (NMC) Enstrom (NMC) Myers (NMC) There's your protected 3 right there not including Fowler. Though it's looking like Cheveldayoff might go the 8+1 rout in the expansion draft so Fowler might be protected then.

So what's the difference if it's Trouba or Fowler? There is still 4 defenseman.

Other way to get around it may be to classify Byfuglien as a forward?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

Fowler-Buff
Enstrom-Myers

Very solid top 4.

TOR

ANA

WPG

I don't know if I make this trade as Toronto, give up a top line LW on a great contract, top 6 prospect who played great as a 19 years old in the AHL, our best defensive prospect, a extremely early 2nd, Holland is nothing too big but also taking on a cap dump... idk, that is a huge package and I'm not sure if it helps the leafs in the long term. Especially if Trouba wage demands are somewhat accurate.

Also I think I'd rather give up JVR and Kapp to get Fowler (which I don't even know if I'd do, JVR will be very important for the leafs) than all the aforementioned pieces and a cap dump to get Trouba.

The leafs should just wait until closer to the expansion draft when there will be alot of top 4 defenseman getting traded for relatively cheap.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't know if I make this trade as Toronto, give up a top line LW on a great contract, top 6 prospect who played great as a 19 years old in the AHL, our best defensive prospect, a extremely early 2nd, Holland is nothing too big but also taking on a cap dump... idk, that is a huge package and I'm not sure if it helps the leafs in the long term.

Actually, I conjured this thing up knowing full well the Leafs are losing the trade, I was actually just curious to see how people would react to it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Fowler-Buff
Enstrom-Myers

Very solid top 4.

TOR

ANA

WPG

The Jets have plenty of cap room and they are strong financially. They aren't going to "pay" to have someone take the final year of Pavs' contract. They have no reason to do that.

The proposed value for Trouba in this trade is terrible. The Jets don't need a bunch of forwards and unproven prospects for a cornerstone player. They are in a position to compete very soon, and they already have perhaps the deepest group of forwards in the NHL.

Scheifele
Wheeler
Little
Perreault
Laine
Ehlers
Connor
Stafford
Dano
Matthias
Burmistrov
Lowry
Armia
Copp
Petan
Lemieux
Tanev

etc.

Why would the Jets trade a top 2-3 D for a few non-elite forwards?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
The Jets have plenty of cap room and they are strong financially. They aren't going to "pay" to have someone take the final year of Pavs' contract. They have no reason to do that.

The proposed value for Trouba in this trade is terrible. The Jets don't need a bunch of forwards and unproven prospects for a cornerstone player. They are in a position to compete very soon, and they already have perhaps the deepest group of forwards in the NHL.

Scheifele
Wheeler
Little
Perreault
Laine
Ehlers
Connor
Stafford
Dano
Matthias
Burmistrov
Lowry
Armia
Copp
Petan
Lemieux
Tanev

etc.

This.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Scheifele
Wheeler
Little
Perreault
Laine
Ehlers
Connor
Stafford
Dano
Matthias
Burmistrov
Lowry
Armia
Copp
Petan
Lemieux
Tanev

etc.

What are you talking about?

WPG

You're only getting 1 forward back in Holland. I altered the original trade proposal to take into account the LHD need. Fowler is a top 2-3D but plays the left side which helps balance your pairings.

Dermott is a great top 4D prospect, a low 2nd, and a top 9 forward in Holland.

Shedding the Pavelec contract is the cherry on the cake in this deal.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So what's the difference if it's Trouba or Fowler? There is still 4 defenseman.

Other way to get around it may be to classify Byfuglien as a forward?

Buff is one of the very good D in the NHL. He's not going to be classified as a F.

Trouba is quite a bit better than Fowler playing LD, and Fowler is a UFA in 2 years. The Jets don't need forwards, unless they are young and better than our top-6.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Dermott is actually a great LHD prospect.

I think Fowler is getting underrated here while Trouba is getting overrated. Winnipeg gets a 30-35th pick and Holland is a 3rd line forward for Winnipeg.

Winnipeg also loses Pavelec's salary off the books.

Fowler also only has 2 years left on his contract, whereas the Jets can either bridge Trouba and then go long, or just sign a long term deal right now.

Holland isn't very attractive considering the Jets already have enough 3rd and 4th line wingers, and while Dermott is nice, nothing in the package is attractive enough for the Jets to lose potentially 6+ years of Trouba.

Pavelec also only has 1 more year, so his salary isn't a concern for the Jets.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
I don't know if I make this trade as Toronto, give up a top line LW on a great contract, top 6 prospect who played great as a 19 years old in the AHL, our best defensive prospect, a extremely early 2nd, Holland is nothing too big but also taking on a cap dump... idk, that is a huge package and I'm not sure if it helps the leafs in the long term. Especially if Trouba wage demands are somewhat accurate.

Also I think I'd rather give up JVR and Kapp to get Fowler (which I don't even know if I'd do, JVR will be very important for the leafs) than all the aforementioned pieces and a cap dump to get Trouba.

The leafs should just wait until closer to the expansion draft when there will be alot of top 4 defenseman getting traded for relatively cheap.

Agreed thats crazy. Most I would Pay is jvr and Prospect for a defenseman. I Wouldn't trade away a bunch of the pieces we worked to build up for one guy. Leafs arn't that one player away team this makes no sense. There will be more opportunities for different defenseman that will come at a cost the doesn't us near this price. Time is something the leafs have, at some point at sometime the right player will be available at the right price. I wait and make the move when it makes sense.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What are you talking about?

WPG

You're only getting 1 forward back in Holland. I altered the original trade proposal to take into account the LHD need. Fowler is a top 2-3D but plays the left side which helps balance your pairings.

Dermott is a great top 4D prospect, a low 2nd, and a top 9 forward in Holland.

Shedding the Pavelec contract is the cherry on the cake in this deal.

Sorry, reacting to a bunch of other proposal concepts in one reply.

In any case, Holland is not a top-9 F for the Jets. They wouldn't find any real place for him on the roster. They have better and younger options.

Fowler is not as good as Trouba, and a UFA in 2 years. Dermott is completely unproven.

The Jets are looking to contend within the next 2-3 years. Trouba is a young, solid #2-3 D. Trading him for a lesser player (Fowler) and unnecessary and/or unknown commodities makes no sense. The Jets need to keep quality to rise to the next level. They don't need quantity.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Fowler also only has 2 years left on his contract, whereas the Jets can either bridge Trouba and then go long, or just sign a long term deal right now.

Holland isn't very attractive considering the Jets already have enough 3rd and 4th line wingers, and while Dermott is nice, nothing in the package is attractive enough for the Jets to lose potentially 6+ years of Trouba.

Pavelec also only has 1 more year, so his salary isn't a concern for the Jets.

The Fowler being 2 years off UFA thing being brought up is really telling. Are you Jets fans really worried that no one is going to want to stick around or something?

Sorry, reacting to a bunch of other proposal concepts in one reply.

In any case, Holland is not a top-9 F for the Jets. They wouldn't find any real place for him on the roster. They have better and younger options.

Fowler is not as good as Trouba, and a UFA in 2 years. Dermott is completely unproven.

The Jets are looking to contend within the next 2-3 years. Trouba is a young, solid #2-3 D. Trading him for a lesser player (Fowler) and unnecessary and/or unknown commodities makes no sense. The Jets need to keep quality to rise to the next level. They don't need quantity.

So you do not think that Cam Fowler is a top 2-3 defenseman?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Fowler being 2 years off UFA thing being brought up is really telling. Are you Jets fans really worried that no one is going to want to stick around or something?

UFAs always get overpaid, especially D. The Jets have a bunch of top young players who will be moving off their ELC in the next 2-3 years. It's all about good cap management. Is that a foreign concept?

Besides, if the Jets are going to pay, they might as well pay Trouba who is younger and they can lock him up for 6+ years.

Every single team in the NHL will put lower value on a player that they don't have contractual control of for extended periods of time.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay

Scheifele
Wheeler
Little
Perreault
Laine
Ehlers
Connor
Stafford
Dano
Matthias
Burmistrov
Lowry
Armia
Copp
Petan
Lemieux
Tanev

etc.

umm did you read the proposal.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So you do not think that Cam Fowler is a top 2-3 defenseman?

I think Trouba is a better 2-3 D. He's also younger and the Jets can control him contractually for a much longer time period. Trouba has more value than Fowler. Period.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
UFAs always get overpaid, especially D. The Jets have a bunch of top young players who will be moving off their ELC in the next 2-3 years. It's all about good cap management. Is that a foreign concept?

Besides, if the Jets are going to pay, they might as well pay Trouba who is younger and they can lock him up for 6+ years.

Every single team in the NHL will put lower value on a player that they don't have contractual control of for extended periods of time.

What do you really think the difference in money is going to be between Trouba and Fowler long term?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What do you really think the difference in money is going to be between Trouba and Fowler long term?

Hard to tell. Maybe not much. I'll take the younger player who is already better and who you can lock up long-term now.

Are you really implying that a GM won't take pending UFA into consideration when placing value on a player? There is always uncertainty in UFA, no matter what the team.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Ask any fan on this site if they're willing to trade a young player who they have more years of control over for a comparable player with much less team control.

It has nothing to do with not thinking players won't stay, it's just common sense. The parts you've added to the deal come nowhere close to bridging that gap.

Your proposal makes 0 sense for the Jets.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Ask any fan on this site if they're willing to trade a young player who they have more years of control over for a comparable player with much less team control.

It has nothing to do with not thinking players won't stay, it's just common sense.

Your proposal makes 0 sense for the Jets.

Zero sense? Give your head a shake boy.

1 top 2-3 LHD (a need)
A top LHD prospect (a need)
a 30-35th 2nd round pick
Holland (worth a 3rd-5th depending on who you ask)

Trouba leaves, and yes he's a damned good player.

Pavelec (cap dump) departs too and let's the Jets roll with Helleybuck and Hutchinson.

Hard to tell. Maybe not much. I'll take the younger player who is already better and who you can lock up long-term now.

Are you really implying that a GM won't take pending UFA into consideration when placing value on a player? There is always uncertainty in UFA, no matter what the team.

He's not really an impending UFA though, you have 2 years of contractual time with him. I am actually starting to think you could sign Fowler to an extension for cheaper then a long term deal with Trouba the longer the contract isn't signed.

Additional assets that come your way in this deal (that I think are being understated by Jet's fans) really make it a slam dunk along with losing Pavelec. If seeing Holland come your way is so bad, simply move him and maybe an additional asset to help land a better bottom pairing defenseman or a pick.

My 2 cents, but either way, I've had my fun in this thread.

The conclusion I've drawn from this is that Jets fans are overvaluing Trouba greatly, but sometimes you simply don't want to move a guy off your roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad