Confirmed with Link: [TOR/ANA] - Staubitz+Holland for Blacker+3rd+7th

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
He definitely had the jitters last night in Buffalo. I mostly recall him skating away from the play never to return (he was probably just trying to get open for a pass that never came), and being taken down quite easily with one hand by a Buffalonian in the first period.

Hopefully it was just jitters and he can bring his A game next time.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The first line looked dangerous at times last night for the first time since Kadri was taken off it. Holland didn't seem to be much of a drop off from Bozak based on his ability (in fact, he probably has more upside), and his insertion on the top line allowed JVR to return to his far more productive slot on the wing. Good move in the short term.

Long term, I like the potential for Holland to become a permanent fixture in the top 9. I would have to think that he automatically becomes the top ranked centre prospect in the organization, and the price Nonis paid was negligible.

Thats a bit of a stretch. I felt Holland was pretty invisible in the latter half the game. He also lacks the defensive acumen and PK abilities.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
What more can you ask from a guy who had a trade, came to the team wore the jersey and headed to the match? No practice, no system knowledge, no team chemistry and big expectations. He performed well. He will be better as he will get some understanding and practice over time progresses.

That's what I was thinking. We are pretty tough here on these new guys.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Thats a bit of a stretch. I felt Holland was pretty invisible in the latter half the game. He also lacks the defensive acumen and PK abilities.

He definitely has to work on the defensive aspect of his game and his willingness to engage physically, but in terms of raw skill and potential, he seems to have all the tools necessary to succeed in a prominent role at the NHL level under the right tutelage.

Last night he probably just ran out of gas because he had an emotional whirlwind of a day flying in just before game time. I expect him to improve over the next few games as he gets acclimated with his new environment.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
They're not developing if they prove they belong. And there is no way in hell the Leafs trade Kadri before Bozak unless he demands it.

Leafs are committed to Bozak for 5 years, and again Holland and Kadri are not ready for 20+mins a game that Bozak gives our team. A point illustrated again last night.

People can complain all they want that he isn't a #1C, for which he isn't paid as one so I never understood that argument.

What people cannot argue is we are a far weaker team without his contributions. Bozak is a valuable player on this team, and it shows when he is not in our lineup. Most posters are catching on.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
He definitely has to work on the defensive aspect of his game and his willingness to engage physically, but in terms of raw skill and potential, he seems to have all the tools necessary to succeed in a prominent role at the NHL level under the right tutelage.

Last night he probably just ran out of gas because he had an emotional whirlwind of a day flying in just before game time. I expect him to improve over the next few games as he gets acclimated with his new environment.

Indeed he does have the potential, but currently? Its not close at all.

Even if he does reach his offensive potential, I doubt he ever reaches the defensive upside of Bozak.

boller4president

Nov 5, 2013
The point I made earlier regarding Couturier still applies for me. We needed #2 center now not someone who can be that guy down-the-road and what exactly are we supposed to do with him when Bolland comes back, anyways?

I know this may be an unpopular sentiment on HF but I think we overpaid considering what Holland is likely to give us.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The point I made earlier regarding Couturier still applies for me. We needed #2 center now not someone who can be that guy down-the-road and what exactly are we supposed to do with him when Bolland comes back, anyways?

I know this may be an unpopular sentiment on HF but I think we overpaid considering what Holland is likely to give us.

Theres no point in overpaying for a #2C right now. Kadri is back after one more game, Bozak likely in the next 10 days.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Clarkson? Yeah.

Clarkson is not new, I have watched him for like 4 years lol, and you are saying Holland should transform to a 3c, he is not a 3c to begin with, not even considered for that role.

Do you even know hockey? Like really understand it?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Holland if he does not crack the top 6 by age 24-25, by any other name is Ryan Hamilton. Just saying

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
this trade can only be a win or neutral for us. Blacker will never be an NHL player

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Clarkson is not new, I have watched him for like 4 years lol, and you are saying Holland should transform to a 3c, he is not a 3c to begin with, not even considered for that role.

Do you even know hockey? Like really understand it?

I'll leave that up to the coach, I just hope he plays well enough to push Kadri. As Cherry said last night, Kadri has to smarten up.

Competition between Kadri and Holland is not such a bad thing.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'll leave that up to the coach, I just hope he plays well enough to push Kadri. As Cherry said last night, Kadri has to smarten up.

It would be Bozak, since he has been noted as having shutdown role ability he is the one who can slide back but knowing RC he would slide Kadri to third and we will end up trading him when he doesn't put up top 6 numbers, this town is hockey town of oddity.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It would be Bozak, since he has been noted as having shutdown role ability he is the one who can slide back but knowing RC he would slide Kadri to third and we will end up trading him when he doesn't put up top 6 numbers, this town is hockey town of oddity.

Or Randy decides until Bolland is back, we don't have a center with shut down capabilities.

What he has done in the past is ice the 3 better offensive centres in the first 2 periods, and if the team is leading. Lean on Mcclement and Bozak in the 3rd.

When Bozak comes back I expect.

Bozak JVR Kessel
Kadri Lupul Clarkson
Holland/Smith Raymond Kule
Mcclement Orr Mclaren

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Or Randy decides until Bolland is back, we don't have a center with shut down capabilities.

What he has done in the past is ice the 3 better offensive centres in the first 2 periods, and if the team is leading. Lean on Mcclement and Bozak in the 3rd.

When Bozak comes back I expect.

Bozak JVR Kessel
Kadri Lupul Clarkson
Holland/Smith Raymond Kule
Mcclement Orr Mclaren

Maybe who knows who cares as long as they make the playoffs, if they don't it should be Randy's job.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Maybe who knows who cares as long as they make the playoffs, if they don't it should be Randy's job.

They are in a playoff position despite missing more man games due to injuries than any other team in the NHL at the moment.

One would think a coach that can get a team in the playoffs in spite of this, would be a candidate for Coach of the year, no?

Jul 10, 2003
KW

I was thinking about that last night. That there could be a some healthy competition between these two, both centers 1st round picks from the 2009 draft and both played against each other in the OHL. Kadri was picked higher but, at one point I think Holland was more highly thought of. One of Kadri's greatest strengths is his competitiveness, I think it could rub off on Holland. Holland has the tools to be a fine NHL player, and now he's in the perfect enviroment to flourish.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I was thinking about that last night. That there could be a some healthy competition between these two, both centers 1st round picks from the 2009 draft and both played against each other in the OHL. Kadri was picked higher but, at one point I think Holland was more highly thought of. One of Kadri's greatest strengths is his competitiveness, I think it could rub off on Holland. Holland has the tools to be a fine NHL player, and now he's in the perfect enviroment to flourish.

We needed a C badly, Nonis did well to get one without Kadri, Bolland, and Bozak in the lineup. Not sure we win if JVR played C again last night. Again this is why most of us here know minus the usual suspects, that Bozak is a valuable piece to this team.

I like what I have heard from Holland in his interviews, he's a GTA kid and he loves playing in his home town. (another type of player Nonis seems to gravitate to)

I like Kadri, like his skill and spunk. But even Cherry has told him to smarten up. Maybe a little wake up call in Holland does this. Buffalo is a bad team, so let's see what Holland can do against better and with a few practices under his belt. Both kids are the same age so this has the makings of a healthy competition.

My belief is, Nonis will sign Bolland this summer. Commit to Bolland and Bozak as 2 of our core support Centers for the next 5 years. That leaves one spot to compete for. Holland and Kadri. Hope they both play well and we choose the better for our team moving fwd. From a cap and play perspective.

RC will have a big say in this, who he prefers.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Holland looks like he has the tools to be a top-six guy. We will see how it goes but he has a pro-level shot and release. He should be able to bury a few of those chances that Bozak whiffs on.

I am liking this trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad