Confirmed with Link: [TOR/ANA] - Staubitz+Holland for Blacker+3rd+7th

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
colborne isn't good. if he becomes another steen then so be it but the steen trade we had no reason to do.

from holland's limited minutes he looked ok, needs to learn to play more of a defensive role.

the steen trade was just burke coming in and wanting to put his mark on the team, regardless if it made hockey sense to do

steen, cola, stralman, tlusty? meh, we don't need those AHLers!

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
the steen trade was just burke coming in and wanting to put his mark on the team, regardless if it made hockey sense to do

Nice try, but that was Fletch who traded Steen and Colaiacovo for Stempniak, not Burke.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Steen was fletcher not burke

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Didn't see much from Holland tonight (not that I was expecting much right away) but he'll have some opportunities while Bolland's out. I think the condition on the 3rd is smart; if he plays 25+ games it will presumably be because he's good enough to be worth trading a 2nd for. Nobody should care much about Blacker and even less about Staubitz.

leafspring*

Holland has a opportunity to make some serious coin and I'm thinking he he was very good tonight. He is not the emergency trade some might think.

Mapleleafs Fan*

What more can you ask from a guy who had a trade, came to the team wore the jersey and headed to the match? No practice, no system knowledge, no team chemistry and big expectations. He performed well. He will be better as he will get some understanding and practice over time progresses.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Didn't see much from Holland tonight (not that I was expecting much right away) but he'll have some opportunities while Bolland's out. I think the condition on the 3rd is smart; if he plays 25+ games it will presumably be because he's good enough to be worth trading a 2nd for. Nobody should care much about Blacker and even less about Staubitz.

I thought he played well tonight, he won the majority of his faceoffs, played with motivation and he made some decent passes. All this and the guy comes straight off a plane from Anahiem without any knowledge of how the Leafs play and no knowledge of the players, yea he was amazing tonight if u ask me.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Holland looks like he is decent on faceoffs.

He looks like a guy who wants it. He needs to learn the systems and learn the flow of Kessel+JVR. If he can do that, there is no reason why he cant be better than Bozak

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
from holland's limited minutes he looked ok, needs to learn to play more of a defensive role.

So the guy plays last night, gets traded this morning, flies up to Toronto this afternoon, and then starts tonight's game and you've already figured out what he "needs to learn"?

:shakehead

Tibor

May 26, 2010
Toronto
Good trade I think. Holland was well good in his first game as a Leaf.

Also good for Blacker who probably wasn't going to get a chance to be an NHLer in Toronto.

It will be interesting to see who will stay with the Leafs once Kadri and Bozak come back. Holland, Smith, and Smithson will be fighting for the final center spot.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/17/new-leafs-centre-holland-thrilled-to-join-hometown-team

So, Peter Holland, how does it feel to be a Toronto Maple Leaf?

“I still haven’t figured out how to describe it yet,” a beaming Holland told a group of reporters in the Leafs’ dressing room at the Air Canada Centre late on Saturday night.

“(Family and friends) were asking me, trying to sink it into my head that I was a Leaf and I couldn’t put into words what it was like. Maybe in the next couple of days I will be able to give you an answer how cool it is.”

Desperate for help at centre after the four-game experiment with van Riemsdyk in the middle fizzled, Leafs general manager David Nonis didn’t have much choice but to make a deal with Dave Bolland, Tyler Bozak and Nazem Kadri all out of the lineup.

Holland didn’t fare badly, getting 11 minutes 24 seconds of ice time and importantly coming up with seven wins on 11 faceoffs, including two in the defensive zone in the second half of the third period as the Leafs held a one-goal lead.

“I thought he did okay,” Leafs coach Randy Carlyle said.

“It’s hard when a young guy comes in and it’s not like we hid him in the lineup. We put him in a position to play with Kessel and van Riemsdyk. It’s what we believe in — when you acquire players or have young players, it would not be right to put him in a non-offensive situation.”

Holland’s day started in Manchester, N.H., where he was to play with the Norfolk Admirals, the Ducks’ AHL affiliate, on Saturday night. But he awoke with a phone call from Ducks general manager Bob Murray with the news to pack up and get to Toronto. Holland hopped in a car, travelled to Boston and flew to Toronto, eventually arriving at the ACC at 4:15 p.m.

“I got off the phone and I had to kind of pinch myself before I started telling anybody what had just happened because I had to make sure it was true,” Holland said. “My phone exploded today with family and friends calling.”

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...cores_first_of_season_in_win_over_sabres.html

In Holland, the Leafs hope they can rescue a once-promising career that seemed to hit a wall with the Ducks.

Holland, the Ducks’ first-round pick in 2009, played four games for Anaheim this season before being demoted to the minors. His tale mirrored Joe Colborne’s in Toronto — a tall forward with NHL-level skills whose career seemed to have gone off course.

In Holland’s case, he was a centre in an organization that was deep at the position to begin with. But he was familiar to Leafs GM Dave Nonis and coach Randy Carlyle, both of whom were with the Ducks when Holland was drafted.

Holland may be facing more uncertainty when the injured centres return. Nazem Kadri will be back from his three-game suspension on Thursday, and Tyler Bozak should start practising with the Leafs on Monday, with his return to the lineup expected about a week later.

But at six-foot-two and 190 pounds, Holland brings the size down the middle that is coveted in Toronto and in high demand around the NHL.

“I think with (Holland) coming in, there’s a lot of emotion in your first game after a trade, and he’s dealing with it pretty well,” Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf said.

“The thing that stuck out for me was that he showed patience with the puck. He showed he could hang on to the puck and make smart choices with it, and that’s something that will get him noticed.”

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Is this not just re-acquiring Joe Colbourne?

nope.

AHL

N.Kadri (23): 130gms, 46gls, 117pts (82gms, 29gls, 74pts)
P.Holland (22): 129gms, 50gls, 114pts (82gms, 32gls, 73pts)
J.Colborne (23): 230gms, 52gls, 134pts (82gms, 19gls, 48pts)

Holland is actually pretty good and has legit top-6 upside.

Colborne is not and does not.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You can always count on Zeke to rip a player the second he's not a Leaf .

funny, I've been getting hate all year on the marlies thread for ripping blacker all offseason and season.

feel free to read up on it.

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
nope.

AHL

N.Kadri (23): 130gms, 46gls, 117pts (82gms, 29gls, 74pts)
P.Holland (22): 129gms, 50gls, 114pts (82gms, 32gls, 73pts)
J.Colborne (23): 230gms, 52gls, 134pts (82gms, 19gls, 48pts)

Holland is actually pretty good and has legit top-6 upside.

Colborne is not and does not.

I really enjoy the statistical player comparisons you dig up. Great job and keep it up!:handclap:

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Colborne is too soft for his size. gallagher is grittier than him and he's 5'9!!

The flames fans aren't awing about colborne after his trader either. 3rd line centre at best MAYBE 2nd liner if the stars align.

I don't know enough about holland yet but he seems to have the speed to play with JVR and Kessel.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
When the Nov 24 Steen trade was made Burke had already unofficially joined the Leafs behind the scenes. Burke had left the Ducks officially on Nov 12 but wasn't officially announced as the Leafs' GM until Nov 29. The trade was on Burke's watch. Whether he was the architect of the trade in any way is debatable. Burke and Fletcher before him and most NHL GMs used the advice of his hockey people a lot when making decisions and in this case Ron Wilson disliked both Steen and Colaiacovo. Plus Stempniak was involved with Hockey USA with which both Wilson and Burke were involved at the time. It's pretty obvious to me who were behind that ill-fated trade.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Holland seemed a little soft in that short audition. It looks like he doesn't like any major contact and he played a level below the intensity that I think the Leafs expect from their forwards. His skating and stick handling skills were very impressive to me although he seemed a little reluctant to hold the puck. He seemed to make strange blind back passes. I expect some tough love from Randy Carlyle very soon to harden him. Don't forget that once Bozak and Kadri return he's likely to go to the Marlies if he's still waiver exempt.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
I missed most of the game last night because I was on the road.

The only comment I have is that he was 7 for 11 in face-offs according to TSN. And their highlight of the Leaf's first goal shows that he won an offensive zone face-off that allowed the Leafs to keep possession in the Sabre's end for that goal.

That alone is why you can't put just any winger at center and ride out the injuries. That's also what allows Bozak to remain an NHL regular and most nights on the top line. Winning face-offs so that his top line wingers don't have to start their shift in checking mode.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The first line looked dangerous at times last night for the first time since Kadri was taken off it. Holland didn't seem to be much of a drop off from Bozak based on his ability (in fact, he probably has more upside), and his insertion on the top line allowed JVR to return to his far more productive slot on the wing. Good move in the short term.

Long term, I like the potential for Holland to become a permanent fixture in the top 9. I would have to think that he automatically becomes the top ranked centre prospect in the organization, and the price Nonis paid was negligible.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
You can always count on Zeke to rip a player the second he's not a Leaf .
I've found he's pretty consistent, since he uses stats to form his opinion.

When was the last time he was pumping Blacker's tires?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad