Confirmed with Link: [TOR/ANA] - Staubitz+Holland for Blacker+3rd+7th

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
you can probably still find the steen trade thread here at HF.

plenty of us knew it was a horrible trade at the time.

agreed. still cringe Stempniak... i remember people saying Fletcher traded for him because he was an american who could attract Burke into coming to Toronto.... i thought more highly of Colio tho, only if he wasnt injured

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Reading into Nonnis...

Lack of cap space means no one can make moves and they are all desperate to unload salary. Even the Liles trade is a straight salary swap with the Leafs hoping Gleason retires from concussion syndrome. Doesn't sound like there is a lot of room for trades until deadline. Off the record, I don't expect much from Blacker, 6th dman maybe.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I was 100% against the Steen trade from the beginning. Let's find that thread. Was just thinking about that thread actually while watching these Steen highlights every night. He looks great wow.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Steen is an example of why I like these fringe trades. I can think of many first rounders we threw away who went on to be quite good players and the major reason we have been a weak team for decades. Courtnall,Neidermayer(the pick),Rask come to mind.Toronto is a funny market which pressures GM's into bad moves for the sake of change. Nonnis has brought players in without sacrificing a lot assets who can come back and bite him. Even if Blacker becomes an effective top 4 Dman we have a lot better anyway. Even with Clarkson,we only lose cash but he did lose the cap ability to land top C if he became available. This injury rash has exploited our weakness in a top position. I cant recall a team ever winning the cup without one since Roy did it singlehandedly with Kudos to C.Lemiuex.

For some reason our defense still worries me. I hope he can fix that.

Worries you on what front? Us making the PO s or competing realistically for the cup?

They are good enough to make the POs, lacking in the serious cup contention. Dev time for players like Reil,Gard,Fran,Perc,Finn might change that.

"Toronto is a funny market which pressures GMs" HRMM interesting premise.

I argue that the only "funny" thing is our sad track record of past ownership setting the priority's wrong, short term pocket filling compared to sacrifice to possibly build long term cup contention.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Would Holland need to clear waivers to go to the Marlies?

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
I was 100% against the Steen trade from the beginning. Let's find that thread. Was just thinking about that thread actually while watching these Steen highlights every night. He looks great wow.

Was probably one of five people who bought a TML Steen Jersey with the ugly silver trim that wasn't his immediate family.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

I'd like to hear from mess on this one.

boller4president

Nov 5, 2013
Depends on the contract variables but say at least our 1st and a good prospect

Let me phrase it this way then. Who'd you rather have Bolland or Holland? because they went for pretty much the same package.

Maybe, what we gave up for Holland isn't enough to get a 2C but it's close - close enough that I'd prefer we went in that direction instead and got someone who wouldn't just play 30-25 games until Bolland comes back and then be sent down to the AHL or regulated to the 4th line.

I'd feel differently if this team was still in the asset collection stage like Cal and EDM but this team in my eyes is ready to take the next step right now and I just don't think Holland gives us enough right now to justify the deal.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Let me phrase it this way then. Who'd you rather have Bolland or Holland? because they went for pretty much the same package.

Maybe, what we gave up for Holland isn't enough to get a 2C but it's close - close enough that I'd prefer we went in that direction instead and got someone who wouldn't just play 30-25 games until Bolland comes back and then be sent down to the AHL or regulated to the 4th line.

I'd feel differently if this team was still in the asset collection stage like Cal and EDM but this team in my eyes is ready to take the next step right now and I just don't think Holland gives us enough right now to justify the deal.

Not sure how we make this ready 2nd line c fit under the cap this year and next.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Interesting to look at that again.
MooseOAK and Zeke were bang on in their assessment.

Find those those "Stajan is a #1 center" threads.

I'm not sure what the mods would think of it but it would be fun to do a hind sight of the month thread and pick a trade or draft pick from ~5 years ago and see who knows there stuff.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Wait wait wait, there was a Steen for JVR deal and JFJ turned it down?

Think about how ridiculous a notion that is.

Philadelphia had drafted JVR one year earlier 2nd overall. They weren't about to give up on him after not even seeing him play for Alex freaking Steen.

Just a load of nonsense from 2008 you have all stumbled upon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad