Top remaining Free Agent D (possible camp tryout)

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
John Borukâ€ÂVerified account @JohnBorukCSN
Hextall said he may bring in a veteran d-man in on a tryout, but otherwise, he's done in free agency (including Jagr)

I know most are in the "play the kids" mode for the defense next season, but for the sake of discussion who might be of interest to the Flyers on camp tryout.

Andrei Markov - Would require a contract
Dennis Wideman - Pass
Mark Streit - Pass
Johnny Oduya - Always liked Oduya, underrated player. On the decline though.
Cody Franson - RH shot, but meh
Mark Stuart - Pass
Matt Greene - Always liked Greene, RH shot, but hasn't played much last 2 years
Roman Polak - RH shot, Like Polak, but a very poor man's version of Gudas so he'd be redundant
John Michael-Liles - Pass
Brian Campbell - Pass

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
John Borukâ€ÂVerified account @JohnBorukCSN
Hextall said he may bring in a veteran d-man in on a tryout, but otherwise, he's done in free agency (including Jagr)

I know most are in the "play the kids" mode for the defense next season, but for the sake of discussion who might be of interest to the Flyers on camp tryout.

Andrei Markov - Would require a contract
Dennis Wideman - Pass
Mark Streit - Pass
Johnny Oduya - Always liked Oduya, underrated player. On the decline though.
Cody Franson - RH shot, but meh
Mark Stuart - Pass
Matt Greene - Always liked Greene, RH shot, but hasn't played much last 2 years
Roman Polak - RH shot, Like Polak, but a very poor man's version of Gudas so he'd be redundant
John Michael-Liles - Pass
Brian Campbell - Pass

Markov and Campbell > MacDonald

If MacDonald isn't being moved, than none of them.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Markov and Campbell > MacDonald

If MacDonald isn't being moved, than none of them.

Here's the thing about a camp tryout though, the Flyers would be under zero obligation. Suppose the kids (Morin, Hagg, Sanheim) really struggle in camp. Or suppose (I certainly hope not) they have a major injury. It can't hurt to bring someone in on a tryout although there isn't a whole lot out there to get interested in other than Markov you aren't getting on a try out.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Here's the thing about a camp tryout though, the Flyers would be under zero obligation. Suppose the kids (Morin, Hagg, Sanheim) really struggle in camp. Or suppose (I certainly hope not) they have a major injury. It can't hurt to bring someone in on a tryout although there isn't a whole lot out there to get interested in other than Markov you aren't getting on a try out.

They are the only 2 I would even bring in on a try-out and both will probably have contracts before the end of the summer.

The rest of that list, no thanks.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I am going to cheer every goal Schenn scores against this plug when hakstok inevitably uses him on top PK unit.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Did Hextall say this to a group of guys so there is proof this was said?

Or is this a "scoop" of ********.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Andreas Lilja

Matt Walker

Sean O'Donnell

Bruno Gervais

We have a long and distinguished list of veteran defenders over the last ten years.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Read this thread and tell me having too many defensemen would be a problem. So many years of pain.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Read this thread and tell me having too many defensemen would be a problem. So many years of pain.

2012-13 was the worst.

Braydon Coburn
Nik Grossmannnnnnn
Erik Gustafsson*
Kurtis Foster
Bruno Gervais
Kent Huskins
Matt Konan* (Who? His career vanishes after this season)
Oliver Lauridsen*
Andreas Lilja
Brandon Manning*
Andrej Meszaros
Jay Rosehill
Luke Schenn
Kimmo Timonen

14 Dmen making an appearance for the Flyers...only 4 of them drafted by us, and 3 of those 4 were bad. Our best dmen were acquired via trade and we relied heavily on cap-inefficient FA to surround that core with the league's castoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad