Top GM Replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yeah honestly I can't see any of the OBC accepting the GM job. The amount of scrutiny and stress they would be under ... it's not really worth it.

Guys like Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, Coffey, Fuhr, etc. all enjoy being treated like kings around town anyway, and none of them probably really needs to money either.

Mac T or Lowe will never able to step foot north of Red Deer if they accept and do a bad job and given that Chia has left a lot of headaches for the next GM, I can't see them jumping at the chance either. They get paid by Katz as is, who needs the added stress.

I could see them promoting Keith Gretzky. I could live with that for the remainder of the season but it can't be the long term solution.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Think the best shot this org has to get it right is to go on tinder Whoever shows up first is our guy/girl.

Who knows, Pontus Aberg might turn up and work out better as a GM than as a player.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
I'll be sick to my stomach if Chiarelli gets fired and we see one of MacT/Lowe/Howson take over for the rest of the year.

Chiarelli needs to go.

But that might be the breaking point for me.

I think the Oilers OBC knows that is true about a lot of fans. So they'll lowkey slide Keith Gretzky in as acting GM for the rest of the year.

Spawn, I think you are right that one of Gretzky, Lowe , or Mact will get the interim job. The right time to make the hire is after the season when everyone is available. The objective for the interim GM is to do what the Leafs did 3 years ago and try to get rid of the dead wood.

It is time for Russel to give his no trade list, time to convince Sekera to retire, Lucic to accept a deal anywhere etc.

Chiason is gone, Talbot is gone, Brodziak, Reider, Kassian traded for whatever they can return

Reactions: WIOiler

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Umm Hextall. He took the worst cap and worst dcore in the NHL, to the best cap situation and top 3 prospect pool in the NHL in 4 years...all without tanking

What are Edm's problems ATM? Defense and Cap. Management that doesn't want to tank?
We’re dealing with big egos here. Hard to see this group hiring him based on who he was in the eighties. Even harder still after what he said about the Oilers rebuilding process back when he was first hired as Flyers GM. I think he’d be a solid choice but we’ve got too much baggage here for that to happen.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
No good GM in his right mind would take this job.

It comes with a lot of baggage you are forced to keep. Your new advisers will be MacT, Howson, Green, Lowe, etc. You can't hire your own. You have to work with them. Katzs' orders.

Oh yeah. The gang will throw you under the bus if it means job security. According to them they have nothing to do with hockey ops if things are going bad! lol

Reactions: Porkleaker

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I wonder how George Parros would do in an assistant GM role if we were to clean house. Smart dude went to Princeton and has been running department of safety for a few years now ala Shanny.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Hire Brian Burke as POHO and let him find the GM. He seems to have found a good one for Calgary.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
No interview would mean another ex-Oiler they already know or someone from Hockey Canada that Nicholson previously knew (like what happened with Chiarelli).

I don't have much faith in Nicholson either. He fell for "The Plan" that Chiarelli laid out after last season.

It won't happen but I'd like to see the Oilers hiring someone highly regarded as a consultant to help with the search and interview processes.
I mean who would they bring in as a consultant? Whoever they'd bring in for that position is probably a damn good candidate. I just don't know who is unemployed that fits that bill

North

Jun 25, 2009

Gillis on the list???

:biglaugh:

You're a funny guy, John Shannon.

I like every option on that list except Gillis.

Hextall is an interesting name just in terms of the prospect pipeline he left Philly with but if he brings Hakstol with him, f*** off.

Last edited:
Reactions: McFuhryous

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I wonder how George Parros would do in an assistant GM role if we were to clean house. Smart dude went to Princeton and has been running department of safety for a few years now ala Shanny.

Chiarelli went to harvard. A bunch of jocks at a fancy school doesn't mean nothing.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Bangers

May 31, 2006
If it's Keith Gretzky as an interim GM, I can handle that.

If it's CrapT or Lowe, I'm done.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Gillis on the list???

:biglaugh:

You're a funny guy, John Shannon.

The thing to take from this, and this is a sad statement. This is FINALLY the first time in the HISTORY of this franchise, that we may actually go through a process of interviewing and considering different options for General Manager of this hockey team.

Reactions: Oilhawks

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
In my opinion, the two stupidities of the Oilers' management in the past 12 or more years are:
1) hiring friends / family-members
2) hiring people who 'peaked' long ago and were past-it by the time they hit Edmonton

So, let's hope they don't make those mistakes again. There's a balance between young/hungry but not that experienced and old-fart with experience who's past it.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
In my opinion, the two stupidities of the Oilers' management in the past 12 or more years are:
1) hiring friends / family-members
2) hiring people who 'peaked' long ago and were past-it by the time they hit Edmonton

So, let's hope they don't make those mistakes again. There's a balance between young/hungry but not that experienced and old-fart with experience who's past it.

Some GM's age well with the game. I don't factor age in at all with my decision. The simple fact was before Chiarelli, we never really went through a vetting process to find someone qualified.

Even when we hired Chiarelli, every manager in the world would have wanted that job, to take the assets that we had and just tap it home... If you look at Boston's closely though, Chiarelli was a disaster there as well, and had very little to do with building their championship team.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Jamie Mclennan on 1260:

Says the new GM has to go above everyone and go to Katz and say "This is my show. I'm running this team as I see fit".

It's obvious but, HA. Good luck with that.
It's true though, otherwise it's more of the same. I hope the guy you guys get focus's on the team too, and not #97. The focus/perspective should be on the team being successful, not 'wasting McDavid's career'. If he has to play with Rattie and Spooner while the GM retools, improves D and G and the team starts winning than that's great, don't focus on one guy, improve the team.

Reactions: McFuhryous
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad