Top GM Replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Umm Hextall. He took the worst cap and worst dcore in the NHL, to the best cap situation and top 3 prospect pool in the NHL in 4 years...all without tanking

What are Edm's problems ATM? Defense and Cap. Management that doesn't want to tank?

Like I said he tried to turn Kent Nillson into a pogo stick. My hatred still burns LOL. (I was joking)

Seriously I would not be upset with Hextall. Zero chance the OBC wants him. He’d spoil all their back patting of the good ol’ days.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think Boston had a cap expert as well didn't stop Chia from telling him to shut up and do his own thing and being the GM of the AHL team is a big enough role to be a job title by its lonesome, you can get a different cap expert.

No chance I want Bill Scott around to clean toilets. He is in charge of our cap. Have you seen our cap? He’s an idiot.

Reactions: Stud Muffin

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
They should interview Hextall. Not saying he's the one but he deserves an interview.

Expecting an actual interview process with the ass clowns known as the OBC is admirable but laughable. I was hopeful Chiarelli would have steered us to victory as his failure would mean a return to the OBC running the show. I fear we are heading rapidly in that direction.

I think we will be saddled with more nepotism in the coming days ahead.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

muddywaters

GO FLAMES GO
Jul 12, 2006
Cedarbrae
You know you've hit rock bottom if they decide to hire Ryan Smyth … as a Flames fan I'm not trying to rub any more salt than you already have but damn , from where I'm standing that would be entertaining …

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Can still remember a Bruins fan just after the Chiarelli hire saying he will probably trade Hall for peanuts. Dude wasn't joking it was a damn warning and we did not take heed.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
An actual GM search and interview process instead of handing the job to your buddy.
Do you really think an interview is a good idea?

I rather Nicholson not be able to find out in an interview that the new candidate is easily manipulated

At least with a blind hire there is a chance the new guy has balls

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Umm Hextall. He took the worst cap and worst dcore in the NHL, to the best cap situation and top 3 prospect pool in the NHL in 4 years...all without tanking

What are Edm's problems ATM? Defense and Cap. Management that doesn't want to tank?
Sure looks like they’ve tanked this year with a team he built before getting fired.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
So has Hitch ever GM’ed? Haha

I’d have time for Lombardi, or even Gilles. Yzerman’s a pipe dream, though I’d love it.

I’d focus on guys that build a solid organizational foundation where they went vs. guys that got absorbed into the brain trust.

Not to say I think Chia got absorbed. I think he ran with the title of PoHO and didn’t want to back down from his decisions.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lombardi scares me because he's really only ever built teams similar to what Chia did and he has the same problems with cap management. Pass.

Mark Hunter, Ron Hextall, the Jets assistant GM I got time for. Next GM has to value skill and have a nose for finding it.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Do you really think an interview is a good idea?

I rather Nicholson not be able to find out in an interview that the new candidate is easily manipulated

At least with a blind hire there is a chance the new guy has balls
No interview would mean another ex-Oiler they already know or someone from Hockey Canada that Nicholson previously knew (like what happened with Chiarelli).

I don't have much faith in Nicholson either. He fell for "The Plan" that Chiarelli laid out after last season.

It won't happen but I'd like to see the Oilers hiring someone highly regarded as a consultant to help with the search and interview processes.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Go with experience especially now Lombardi is a decent builder.

No way. We were sold this bill of goods with Petey Boy.

No more GMs that are riding on past glory, emphasize size/grinding over skill, and can't manage a cap.

You have f***ing Connor McDavid. Build a damn skilled and get out of your own way.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Someone on main board suggested Al Murray from Tampa Bay. He has deep connections with Hockey Canada too so I assume Bob Nicholson knows him well.

Al Murray - Director of Amateur Scouting

He's been with Tampa since 2010.
The assumption being, the OBC aka 'Katz and his merry band of obseqiously fawning sycophants' will conduct a legitimate, genuine search for a capable GM instead of going with the very easy default choice of Keith Gretzky.

I have no faith in that happening, but we'll see.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Another guy not mentioned here: Bill Zito, former player agent who has been part of the CBJ team that's found success.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Jari Kurri.
Has done really well in KHL.
The fans will riot. They must know this. It cannot be one of the OBC even if Kurri might actually be a good choice.

For ne it would be Mark Hunter or Bill Guerin. But at the very least it has to be someone who is creative and who understands the salary cap because there this a lot of work to be done to shed money before this team can be put back together.

Reactions: tellermine

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The fans will riot. They must know this. It cannot be one of the OBC even if Kurri might actually be a good choice.

Yeah honestly I can't see any of the OBC accepting the GM job. The amount of scrutiny and stress they would be under ... it's not really worth it.

Guys like Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, Coffey, Fuhr, etc. all enjoy being treated like kings around town anyway, and none of them probably really needs to money either.

Mac T or Lowe will never able to step foot north of Red Deer if they accept and do a bad job and given that Chia has left a lot of headaches for the next GM, I can't see them jumping at the chance either. They get paid by Katz as is, who needs the added stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad