Top GM Replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
He probably isn't the best option, but on the off chance that he is, his hiring shouldn't be summarily criticized solely on the basis that he was already with the team.

It's time for an overhaul of hockey operations. The optics of hiring the brother of one of the owners, who are all in a closely knit group that have done the worst job of running an NHL franchise over the last 12 years is terrible. Keith Gretzky is the vote to stay the course and still have MacT, Howson, and probably Lowe, Nicholson, too, etc. make vital decisions in hockey management. All of these guys have been around for a long time and it's clear we need to move in a totally new direction.

Reactions: TB12

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's time for an overhaul of hockey operations. The optics of hiring the brother of one of the owners, who are all in a closely knit group that have done the worst job of running an NHL franchise over the last 12 years is terrible. Keith Gretzky is the vote to stay the course and still have MacT, Howson, and probably Lowe, Nicholson, too, etc. make vital decisions in hockey management. All of these guys have been around for a long time and it's clear we need to move in a totally new direction.

Not really disagreeing with any of that.

LVOT

Jun 27, 2018
If he's the best available candidate, I have no issues with them hiring him. It's not like hiring a heralded assistant GM is always all it's cracked up to be (see: Fenton, Nill). There isn't one defined formula to hiring the "right guy."

What has he done to prove he's the guy? Has standing still become our new norm for 'excellence?' Yes he's made two trades, and I think both were okay trades. But how has that all of a sudden made him a viable candidate?

I don't think it's fair to blame KG for Chiarelli's mistakes, but I don't think hiring the AGM from a losing team is the right way to go. I think he probably has value in scouting (good drafts in Boston) but I don't know how one can assess his value as a GM at this point.

You're absolutely correct hiring a heralded assistant GM isn't always a good thing, however, I think common sense would dictate it makes more sense to hire an AGM from a winning team vs. a losing team.

Reactions: Lrrr and TB12

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
What has he done to prove he's the guy? Has standing still become our new norm for 'excellence?' Yes he's made two trades, and I think both were okay trades. But how has that all of a sudden made him a viable candidate?

I don't think it's fair to blame KG for Chiarelli's mistakes, but I don't think hiring the AGM from a losing team is the right way to go. I think he probably has value in scouting (good drafts in Boston) but I don't know how one can assess his value as a GM at this point.

You're absolutely correct hiring a heralded assistant GM isn't always a good thing, however, I think common sense would dictate it makes more sense to hire an AGM from a winning team vs. a losing team.

I didn't say anything about him proving he's the guy. Just saying hypothetically if he is, his hiring shouldn't be automatically dismissed because of the reasons I stated.

Chances are he's not the guy though.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Not really disagreeing with any of that.

I just think the next GM should gut the org and put new people in power in place. If Keith Gretzky is hired and say Ken Holland is brought on, I just see a few chairs being shuffled around and only moderate changes to the way the organization is run. I'm terrified for all the rallying behind Keith Gretzky as next GM because of this. I'd prefer to see 2-3 top executives brought in with the goal of building a new organization. From what I hear of Nicholson and Stauffer's interviews the goal is to stay the course, value their current culture, and use their "great assets" such as their failed former GMs. The same people that brought you the last decade+ of darkness are looking like they might keep their roles in the organization.

Reactions: TB12

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I just think the next GM should gut the org and put new people in power in place. If Keith Gretzky is hired and say Ken Holland is brought on, I just see a few chairs being shuffled around and only moderate changes to the way the organization is run. I'm terrified for all the rallying behind Keith Gretzky as next GM because of this. I'd prefer to see 2-3 top executives brought in with the goal of building a new organization. From what I hear of Nicholson and Stauffer's interviews the goal is to stay the course, value their current culture, and use their "great assets" such as their failed former GMs. The same people that brought you the last decade+ of darkness are looking like they might keep their roles in the organization.

The next hire is the most important one for the future of this franchise.

They need to account for a lot of factors, and not let generalizations or one factor overrule common sense and due diligence. The best candidate should get the job, in part because of his affiliation, background, experience, etc., but not solely because of any one of those factors blinding Nicholson to other potential weaknesses. His last hire (Chia) came about because he was blinded by Chia's limited success in Boston and Chia's work with Hockey Canada, which didn't allow Nicholson to realize how badly Chia's weaknesses (trading and cap management) could hurt this team.

Nicholson can't make the same mistake again.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Had Chiarelli stuck to his guns and took Sergachev instead of JP, the drafting would be seen as superb. The pick at #4 was Sergachev all along and I bet the Oilers would've left him in juniors to marinate like what they are doing with Bouchard now. Could you imagine what a top D pairing of Sergachev and Bouchard might look like 2 years from now?

I am pretty sure 25 GMs take JP with that pick so I can't fault that. He was better his draft year than Yak was in 2012 and 25 GMs would have taken Yak as well. All kinds of things have hit wrong with the Oilers drafting but sometimes its just been really bad luck. And you know they would not have let him marinate any more than they did with Yak, Jesse, Yamo or Leon. Its like they didn't understand about the negative affects attached to promoting a player too early.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The amount of stanning by Edmonton media for KG is becoming concerning.

I said a month ago that if the Oilers were gonna really reach out, you'd hear more talk about already available guys like Hunter .

Instead, it almost sounds like they are just waiting on McCrimmon...if he even gets that far with the Oilers. Just gonna give it a shot and if that fails, put KG and call it a day.

For some reason, I get a strange Eakins like uneasiness if they just straight up hire McCrimmon though lol

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Yeah, its starting to seem like they are all pushing for him to get the job. In Edmonton, this usually means that the team has already made its decision.

You mean he already has the job and it's the medias job to get everyone else to beleive he should get the job .

I'm pretty sure he was given the job long ago, but Nicholson and co have been making it look like they are doing proper due diligence this time unlike when they hired chiarelli.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->