Top GM Replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Hunter is more of a AGM/ Director of Scouting guy..in my opinion ..His talent evaluation is what he does best and this would be restricted in a traditional GM role.

Its possible that this sis the case. One thing we don't know about any of the candidates is how they will handle something like the cap. But the Hunters have at least proven to be "creative" in working their way around obstacles.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
In all honesty, drafting was a strength of the Oilers' during the Chiarelli era. And it's been improved since Keith Gretzky was added to the staff. It'll ultimately be a disappointment when we see him move on if he doesn't end up retaining the GM role.

We took a number of 'higher risk' guys in the later rounds and they're just now beginning to pay off with the recent emergence of our farm system.

Another important facet of good scouting practices is the teams ability to find talent outside of the draft as well, which is why I'm keying in on Al Murray, whose staff has managed to find hidden gems like Jon Marchessault, Yanni Gourde and Alex Barre-Boulet through UFA signings.

I agree that the drafting was much better under the Chiarelli era. I think part of the problem though is what we are comparing it to. It was so bad before that objectively it looks more positively than it really is. I think though when you analyze the draft picks, (keeping in mind that its still early) drafting for this team is still completely average. Honestly it could be argued that with the way JP looks like he is trending and Yamamotos inability to really stand out, that drafting is still below average. They definitely have improved beyond round 2 but like I said, a lot of people are comparing it to the previous regime which was terrible, which I dont think should be the standard.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
I agree that the drafting was much better under the Chiarelli era. I think part of the problem though is what we are comparing it to. It was so bad before that objectively it looks more positively than it really is. I think though when you analyze the draft picks, (keeping in mind that its still early) drafting for this team is still completely average. Honestly it could be argued that with the way JP looks like he is trending and Yamamotos inability to really stand out, that drafting is still below average. They definitely have improved beyond round 2 but like I said, a lot of people are comparing it to the previous regime which was terrible, which I dont think should be the standard.
Had Chiarelli stuck to his guns and took Sergachev instead of JP, the drafting would be seen as superb. The pick at #4 was Sergachev all along and I bet the Oilers would've left him in juniors to marinate like what they are doing with Bouchard now. Could you imagine what a top D pairing of Sergachev and Bouchard might look like 2 years from now?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Had Chiarelli stuck to his guns and took Sergachev instead of JP, the drafting would be seen as superb. The pick at #4 was Sergachev all along and I bet the Oilers would've left him in juniors to marinate like what they are doing with Bouchard now. Could you imagine what a top D pairing of Sergachev and Bouchard might look like 2 years from now?

It would be much better than it is had they taken Sergachev, Tkachuk etc. If they had kept the picks which Reinhart turned into it would look much more positive. Even if the team didnt draft Barzal, it would be more obviously be more positive than what it is today. There will always be misses in the draft, its not a exact science obviously, but me personally, I am a bit leery on praising the Oilers too much for their recent drafting, yes I think its improved but I still think it has a long ways to go.

Reactions: rboomercat90

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
"11. The presence of Edmonton CEO Bob Nicholson at the GM meetings was an interesting twist. He represented the Oilers in place of interim GM Keith Gretzky, in part to continue researching candidates for the open GM spot. It was a continuation of the process he began when Peter Chiarelli was fired in January.
“That’s what I’ve been doing for the last three and a half weeks – just phoning GMs, talking to them about their staffs, how they organize their staffs and potential candidates,” Nicholson said. “This is another great opportunity to be around them face-to-face. … It’s giving me lots of good information and there’s lots of good candidates out there.”
12. Nicholson said he hasn’t formally talked to any candidates yet, currently working strictly in the information gathering phase of the GM search. He felt that this was a process he skipped in hiring Chiarelli and didn’t want to repeat that strategy. That’s the advice he’s been getting from experienced managers around the league.
“Take your time and do your homework,” he said, relaying that advice. “Get the right fit for your team … we have a very intelligent hockey market. We really have to look at where our team is at. We’ve got a real young team – how do you communicate with players?”
Nicholson said good communication skills from the incoming GM are a priority. To him, it’s necessary to have that with the next generation of young players, who communicate differently than previous generations. He also felt it was important to have a strong ability to communicate in a hockey market like Edmonton.
There isn’t a hard timeline for the Oilers’ search and he said he wouldn’t let Seattle’s GM search rush his decision. One potential candidate, Vegas assistant GM Kelly McCrimmon, won’t be available for either franchise to interview until after the Golden Knights’ season. Vegas GM George McPhee confirmed that this week. So that takes some of the pressure off, since both Seattle and Edmonton are expected to have McCrimmon on their list.
“I haven’t set a date. Just trying to make sure I get the ground rules right. I have to get approval,” Nicholson said of when he’ll start reaching out to candidates. “(The Oilers need) approval to talk to candidates and working that through with each of their organizations. Sometime in the next couple weeks.”

"That’s what I’ve been doing for the last three and a half weeks – just phoning GMs, talking to them about their staffs, how they organize their staffs and potential candidates"

- So other GMs are teaching his moron on how to run an NHL team. He didn't even gather information on Chiarelli before hiring him. He hired him because of his name

- And also Stauffer on Oilers Now said "Bob is really hurt by how the eastern media talks about the Oilers" and Stauffer went off about the CBC interview with Nicholson mentioning how CBC employees push their own agenda and how he would LOVE to interview the head of CBC so candidly the way they interviewed Nicholson

I don’t know whether to laugh, cry, not care, or vomit

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
"11. The presence of Edmonton CEO Bob Nicholson at the GM meetings was an interesting twist. He represented the Oilers in place of interim GM Keith Gretzky, in part to continue researching candidates for the open GM spot. It was a continuation of the process he began when Peter Chiarelli was fired in January.
“That’s what I’ve been doing for the last three and a half weeks – just phoning GMs, talking to them about their staffs, how they organize their staffs and potential candidates,” Nicholson said. “This is another great opportunity to be around them face-to-face. … It’s giving me lots of good information and there’s lots of good candidates out there.”
12. Nicholson said he hasn’t formally talked to any candidates yet, currently working strictly in the information gathering phase of the GM search. He felt that this was a process he skipped in hiring Chiarelli and didn’t want to repeat that strategy. That’s the advice he’s been getting from experienced managers around the league.
“Take your time and do your homework,” he said, relaying that advice. “Get the right fit for your team … we have a very intelligent hockey market. We really have to look at where our team is at. We’ve got a real young team – how do you communicate with players?”
Nicholson said good communication skills from the incoming GM are a priority. To him, it’s necessary to have that with the next generation of young players, who communicate differently than previous generations. He also felt it was important to have a strong ability to communicate in a hockey market like Edmonton.
There isn’t a hard timeline for the Oilers’ search and he said he wouldn’t let Seattle’s GM search rush his decision. One potential candidate, Vegas assistant GM Kelly McCrimmon, won’t be available for either franchise to interview until after the Golden Knights’ season. Vegas GM George McPhee confirmed that this week. So that takes some of the pressure off, since both Seattle and Edmonton are expected to have McCrimmon on their list.
“I haven’t set a date. Just trying to make sure I get the ground rules right. I have to get approval,” Nicholson said of when he’ll start reaching out to candidates. “(The Oilers need) approval to talk to candidates and working that through with each of their organizations. Sometime in the next couple weeks.”

"That’s what I’ve been doing for the last three and a half weeks – just phoning GMs, talking to them about their staffs, how they organize their staffs and potential candidates"

- So other GMs are teaching his moron on how to run an NHL team. He didn't even gather information on Chiarelli before hiring him. He hired him because of his name

- And also Stauffer on Oilers Now said "Bob is really hurt by how the eastern media talks about the Oilers" and Stauffer went off about the CBC interview with Nicholson mentioning how CBC employees push their own agenda and how he would LOVE to interview the head of CBC so candidly the way they interviewed Nicholson

It's embarrassing for sure.

Reactions: TB12 and KYams17

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Bobby Nicks is the biggest phony possible. He built his recognition building stacked all star teams for Team Canada. Making truly bonehead decisions but got glossed over because of how good the teams were

I totally see how he picked Chiarelli. Chiarelli is a well known past cup winning GM. This is a perfect fit for Bob. He doesnt have to do any work to search for actual candidates. He hires the most well known guy and calls it a day

I have said for a year that our management with Chiarelli and Bobby Nicks was lazy. Chiarelli would sign mostly well known guys, or overpay our current players and call it a day. I am not shocked at all to hear Bob didnt do any due diligence

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

At first I thought this was an embarrassing look for Nicholson, but now I'm starting to understand it. Realistically when teams are looking at candidates they're looking at one's they are familiar with and don't need to go through this process that Nicholson is. It's not realistic that a CEO making a GM hire knows every team inside out. I don't see the harm in talking to GM's about how they organize the staff, asking about potential candidates.. this is no different than any job hiring process. You apply for a job, the employer asks for references and does their due diligence on you. Some people are questioning why teams would want to help the Oilers.. If you have someone in your staff who is deserving of an opportunity you're going to try to help them. It's not about helping the Oilers.

No issues with this from Nicholson.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
At first I thought this was an embarrassing look for Nicholson, but now I'm starting to understand it. Realistically when teams are looking at candidates they're looking at one's they are familiar with and don't need to go through this process that Nicholson is. It's not realistic that a CEO making a GM hire knows every team inside out. I don't see the harm in talking to GM's about how they organize the staff, asking about potential candidates.. this is no different than any job hiring process. You apply for a job, the employer asks for references and does their due diligence on you. Some people are questioning why teams would want to help the Oilers.. If you have someone in your staff who is deserving of an opportunity you're going to try to help them. It's not about helping the Oilers.

But don't you think Nicholson is smarter than what he did? It was lazy of him to hire just someone he knows. Guess who was doing that before we hired Nicholson? The Old Boys Club. Now Nicholson gets the hint that he actually has to WORK HARD, do his due diligence, his freaking homework to make the right hire? If he is so good at his job and he wants us to succeed, he should've started doing real time work from the beginning

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com

Except he helped cripple the franchise by not doing this the first time? I know that isn't what you are saying but it is frightening to think a guy all of a sudden gets an epiphany and is sharper now to do all the right things. Also, if anyone here thinks the candidate will be someone that can just clear out the mess that has taken 20 years to make, sadly we are all in for a disappointment.

When this guy is hired, the following will still be employed:

Craig MacTavish
Bob Green
Duane Sutter
Keith Gretzky
Bill Scott
Rick Carriere
Scott Howson

Some or all of these guys said to Trade a first and a second for Griff. Trade Hall, Trade Eberle, Sign Mikko, Trade Caggiula, Sign Russell, Sign Lucic....

The rebuild should start from within and Bob is not likely to address it.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019

No they would not have

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm far from a Nicholson fan but I don't see anything wrong with what he's doing. It seems like he's trying to rectify the mistake he made with the Chia hiring (going solely by name recognition) by now doing all the due diligence he needs to do to gather all the information he needs to make the next hire and taking his time in doing so.

The worst thing he could do is see someone experienced like Holland or Lombardi and say "Well, they won Cups so they must be the most qualified candidates". No no no, he needs to take his time and really explore all avenues. I see nothing wrong with this approach. This is the hiring that will ultimately shape his legacy so he can't screw it up.

With that said, this little run the team is on worries me in the sense that he might just circle back to Gretzky and think this team is close to where they need to be partly due to his work. That would be a dumb line of thinking but ya know....

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

More shade thrown at the previous cucumber. I mean incumbent.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Except he helped cripple the franchise by not doing this the first time? I know that isn't what you are saying but it is frightening to think a guy all of a sudden gets an epiphany and is sharper now to do all the right things. Also, if anyone here thinks the candidate will be someone that can just clear out the mess that has taken 20 years to make, sadly we are all in for a disappointment.

When this guy is hired, the following will still be employed:

Craig MacTavish
Bob Green
Duane Sutter
Keith Gretzky
Bill Scott
Rick Carriere
Scott Howson

Some or all of these guys said to Trade a first and a second for Griff. Trade Hall, Trade Eberle, Sign Mikko, Trade Caggiula, Sign Russell, Sign Lucic....

The rebuild should start from within and Bob is not likely to address it.
Well that I wouldn't disagree with. I think that is still up in the air until a new GM decides what to do with those people.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I doubt it, he would've been thrown to the wolves. Tampa has been very wise with him and he's playing a bottom pairing role.

How'd that go with Jones when we called him up? Guy was thrown to play far too many minutes and then struggled.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I'm far from a Nicholson fan but I don't see anything wrong with what he's doing. It seems like he's trying to rectify the mistake he made with the Chia hiring (going solely by name recognition) by now doing all the due diligence he needs to do to gather all the information he needs to make the next hire and taking his time in doing so.

The worst thing he could do is see someone experienced like Holland or Lombardi and say "Well, they won Cups so they must be the most qualified candidates". No no no, he needs to take his time and really explore all avenues. I see nothing wrong with this approach. This is the hiring that will ultimately shape his legacy so he can't screw it up.

With that said, this little run the team is on worries me in the sense that he might just circle back to Gretzky and think this team is close to where they need to be partly due to his work. That would be a dumb line of thinking but ya know....

Instead of allowing Nicholson "discover" the magic of due diligence, we should hire a President who actually knows how to, and will do, sufficient due diligence.

I put no weight into Bobs lip service about due diligence comment. Does anyone actually buy this? I mean we could probably find quotes from 2015 where do says they are do exhaustive searches, or hired Pete after lengthy discussions with other candidates. Bob makes Trump look like a honest person

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Instead of allowing Nicholson "discover" the magic of due diligence, we should hire a President who actually knows how to, and will do, sufficient due diligence.

I put no weight into Bobs lip service about due diligence comment. Does anyone actually buy this? I mean we could probably find quotes from 2015 where do says they are do exhaustive searches, or hired Pete after lengthy discussions with other candidates. Bob makes Trump look like a honest person

I wonder if he ever finished that forensic audit he promised.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Hunter's out

Hunter when he heard Oilers were interested in him....

giphy.gif

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

No it wouldnt have lol. The Oilers would have rushed Sergachev into the NHL like they tried to do with Bouchard (and did with JP and LD). They would have destroyed his confidence and left him for dead.

Meanwhile JP, had JP been taken by a team that would have left him in Europe or in the AHL for a full year, then actually properly developed him. He would have been a beast and Oiler fans would be moaning about passing up on the top line winger for a KHL bound D

Like if we had taken Ryan Murray or Galchenyuk or Reilly, all would have wound up as marginal NHLers had we put them through the same horsecrap "development" we did with Yakupov.

hellvetet

Oct 2, 2015
A question from a Finn with no attachments to Edmonton:

Would you Oilers fans entertain the idea of Jarmo Kekäläinen if CBJ cans him immediately after their season has ended?

Pros:
- a long career among NHL scouting with a solid track record
- no bull shit attitude
- team Finland will happily hire him to any position he desires if the obc does not let him do his job = Jarmo has an everlasting back up plan/exit strategy. What I mean by this, is that he most likely would not become a puppet.
- trade happy and imaginative in his trades

Cons:
- no bull shit attitude, likes his tortorellas and hard love approaches
- stubborn
- trade happy to the extent that a catastrophy might be just around the corner

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
A question from a Finn with no attachments to Edmonton:

Would you Oilers fans entertain the idea of Jarmo Kekäläinen if CBJ cans him immediately after their season has ended?

Pros:
- a long career among NHL scouting with a solid track record
- no bull **** attitude
- team Finland will happily hire him to any position he desires if the obc does not let him do his job = Jarmo has an everlasting back up plan/exit strategy. What I mean by this, is that he most likely would not become a puppet.
- trade happy and imaginative in his trades

Cons:
- no bull **** attitude, likes his tortorellas and hard love approaches
- stubborn
- trade happy to the extent that a catastrophy might be just around the corner
I think Kekalainen is a very good GM, I'm not sure why Columbus would let him go.

His drafting is outstanding.. from 2002-2013 the Blues continuously added roster players. The 2013 draft in Columbus was a bit rough for having 3 first rounders but not much to criticize IMO.

He made a ballsy trade for Seth Jones when he was unproven and it's completely turned them around.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
The problem with Nicholson doing all of what was listed above is that he's a few years too late.

So, what exactly was the 'forensic audit' if he essentially did no due diligence? A questionnaire with a 5-point Likert scale handed out to Lowe and Craig? I can see it now:

"How good of a job do you feel you are doing?" 1 2 3 4 5

Stauffer's comments basically imply the guy is at best clueless and at worst negligent of his duties, as he's essentially learning how to do his job a few years in.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes