Top GM Replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
One thing I know for sure about Hunter is that he understands the value of skill. London has always had high end talent under the Hunters. And during his time with Toronto they focused on skill.

Hunter as the GM and Knoblauch as the coach would substantially change the focus of this team from a plodder to an up-tempo skill oriented team.
I'm not sure he has a strong ability of identifying that skill when it comes to NHL level talent though. The Leafs' drafting record in his time there isn't that impressive. And I only give him part marks for his ability to procure talent in the OHL considering his team's competitive advantage.

Also I question how effective these managers and coaches ultimately are, moving from junior to the highest level. Directed more towards Knoblauch--would he even have the contacts at this point to bring in an effective NHL coaching staff?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
GM candidates the Oilers should interview according to TSN:

- Kelly McCrimmon
- Ron Hextall
- Tom Fitzgerald
- Chris Pronger
- Bill Guerin
- Mark Hunter
- Craig Button (LOL)
- Al Murray
Pronger is still married isn’t he? Hard pass for a lot of reasons but none bigger than that one.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Huh? We are gonna hire a GM based on what other teams think is best? This org is so clueless. They have no idea what they're looking for yet.

Takes me back to 2013 when MacT and Lowe bragged about how other teams told them that the Oilers are on the right track.

I guess to be fair to Nicholson, this is probably the same method he used to construct his Team Canada management groups. Just doing what he knows.

What should be taken from this is that the GM search has three phases to it. That’s at least two more phases than we’ve ever had before. #oilerpositives.

Reactions: EagerPug

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Not much about Bobby N leads me to think that he is the right man for the job. His Hockey Canada connections may end up being important but he isnt with HC any more.
He is an Oilers executive so I just dont understand why he would think that anybody on another NHL team is even remotely interested in 'helping' him.

Thats like Wile E Coyote taking the advice of a rival coyote on how to catch the Roadrunner.
The advice is almost assuredly going to be counter productive.
I was a big advocate for Nicholson coming here because of the connections he built through Hockey Canada. Those connections brought us Chiarelli and Mclellan without an interview process. Nicholson is a fraud and all the “skills” he has that landed the Oilers gig in the first place have been proven meaningless. There isn’t any reason to think he’s capable of fixing this.

Reactions: guymez and mullet

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I was a big advocate for Nicholson coming here because of the connections he built through Hockey Canada. Those connections brought us Chiarelli and Mclellan without an interview process. Nicholson is a fraud and all the “skills” he has that landed the Oilers gig in the first place have been proven meaningless. There isn’t any reason to think he’s capable of fixing this.

Agree 100%. Bob is as much of a problem as any of the OBC are. I have ZERO faith that they will select a competent GM.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
What should be taken from this is that the GM search has three phases to it. That’s at least two more phases than we’ve ever had before. #oilerpositives.

3 phases - search, denial, acceptance

Keith Gretzky is your GM :sarcasm:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'm not sure he has a strong ability of identifying that skill when it comes to NHL level talent though. The Leafs' drafting record in his time there isn't that impressive. And I only give him part marks for his ability to procure talent in the OHL considering his team's competitive advantage.

Also I question how effective these managers and coaches ultimately are, moving from junior to the highest level. Directed more towards Knoblauch--would he even have the contacts at this point to bring in an effective NHL coaching staff?

Hunter's primary involvement was in the 2015,2016 and 2017 drafts. It's hard to see how the Leafs did not draft well especially when they have Matthews and Marner as two of the first round picks. Matthews was a no-brainer of course but Marner was perhaps a bit more of a choice. But even if you reject those picks its hard to argue that Dermott, Bracco and Neilsen at 34, 61 and 65 were not excellent picks. I think you could also argue that there first 4 picks in 2016 were solid choices based on progress to date.

Frankly the experience-route has not served the Oilers all that well. I want people who are going to think about how a successful team in the NHL will look next year not in 2012. Given the potential recycle candidates I have seen I'd rather take a shot on some new ideas. Maybe Hunter/Knoblauch is not the right combo but I don't want more dinosaurs. Guerin is another guy I'd like to see them interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hunter's primary involvement was in the 2015,2016 and 2017 drafts. It's hard to see how the Leafs did not draft well especially when they have Matthews and Marner as two of the first round picks. Matthews was a no-brainer of course but Marner was perhaps a bit more of a choice. But even if you reject those picks its hard to argue that Dermott, Bracco and Neilsen at 34, 61 and 65 were not excellent picks. I think you could also argue that there first 4 picks in 2016 were not solid choices based on progress to date.

Frankly the experience-route has not served the Oilers all that well. I want people who are going to think about how a successful team in the NHL will look next year not in 2012. Given the potential recycle candidates I have seen I'd rather take a shot on some new ideas. Maybe Hunter/Knoblauch is not the right combo but I don't want more dinosaurs. Guerin is another guy I'd like to see them interview.
If not for the first two rounds of that 2015 draft, there wouldn't be a whole lot left for the Leafs to look forward to filling out their depth in the coming seasons. I see those drafts and see a lot of spent picks with very little NHL talent to show for it. Kudos to their current management turning a struggling Carl Grundstrom into something of immediate value. Obviously we're looking at a few drafts we're only a few years removed from, but there are a substantial number downward arrows. A decent couple goalies though.

That being said, I agree with the idea the Oilers would be best suited stating away from the dinosaur era candidates. I personally believe the Oilers would be better suited targeting someone with a deep scouting background--Al Murray being my preference.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If not for the first two rounds of that 2015 draft, there wouldn't be a whole lot left for the Leafs to look forward to filling out their depth in the coming seasons. I see those drafts and see a lot of spent picks with very little NHL talent to show for it. Kudos to their current management turning a struggling Carl Grundstrom into something of immediate value. Obviously we're looking at a few drafts we're only a few years removed from, but there are a substantial number downward arrows. A decent couple goalies though.

That being said, I agree with the idea the Oilers would be best suited stating away from the dinosaur era candidates. I personally believe the Oilers would be better suited targeting someone with a deep scouting background--Al Murray being my preference.
It's tough for me to defend the Leafs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But in reality my comments are about Hunter not the Buds. I think we are looking at some of these guys differently. BUt in the end I think we all want the same thing. Someone who actually know what he is doing. Murray would be an interesting name as well.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Hunter's primary involvement was in the 2015,2016 and 2017 drafts. It's hard to see how the Leafs did not draft well especially when they have Matthews and Marner as two of the first round picks. Matthews was a no-brainer of course but Marner was perhaps a bit more of a choice. But even if you reject those picks its hard to argue that Dermott, Bracco and Neilsen at 34, 61 and 65 were not excellent picks. I think you could also argue that there first 4 picks in 2016 were not solid choices based on progress to date.

Given the Hunter's success with the London Knights I'm not sure if they are experts at drafting or experts at developing young players, but it doesn't seem like they could have had the success they've had without being exceptionally good at one of those, or conversely good at both those things. There are obviously differences in drafting/developing players at the NHL level opposed to the OHL level and the kind of players that can succeed at that level versus the NHL level; I can't say that M. Hunter made the proper adjustments when they were picking up players for the Leafs, but where ever he goes the teams skill level tends to be rather high.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Given the Hunter's success with the London Knights I'm not sure if they are experts at drafting or experts at developing young players, but it doesn't seem like they could have had the success they've had without being exceptionally good at one of those, or conversely good at both those things. There are obviously differences in drafting/developing players at the NHL level opposed to the OHL level and the kind of players that can succeed at that level versus the NHL level; I can't say that M. Hunter made the proper adjustments when they were picking up players for the Leafs, but where ever he goes the teams skill level tends to be rather high.
In the end I want someone who at the very least places a big priority on skill. Sometimes this means taking some chances for high risk/ high reward players. For years the Oilers did not go after those types but instead tended to go with the "steady guy".

Reactions: Aerrol

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
In the end I want someone who at the very least places a big priority on skill. Sometimes this means taking some chances for high risk/ high reward players. For years the Oilers did not go after those types but instead tended to go with the "steady guy".
In all honesty, drafting was a strength of the Oilers' during the Chiarelli era. And it's been improved since Keith Gretzky was added to the staff. It'll ultimately be a disappointment when we see him move on if he doesn't end up retaining the GM role.

We took a number of 'higher risk' guys in the later rounds and they're just now beginning to pay off with the recent emergence of our farm system.

Another important facet of good scouting practices is the teams ability to find talent outside of the draft as well, which is why I'm keying in on Al Murray, whose staff has managed to find hidden gems like Jon Marchessault, Yanni Gourde and Alex Barre-Boulet through UFA signings.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
In all honesty, drafting was a strength of the Oilers' during the Chiarelli era. And it's been improved since Keith Gretzky was added to the staff. It'll ultimately be a disappointment when we see him move on if he doesn't end up retaining the GM role.

We took a number of 'higher risk' guys in the later rounds and they're just now beginning to pay off with the recent emergence of our farm system.

Another important facet of good scouting practices is the teams ability to find talent outside of the draft as well, which is why I'm keying in on Al Murray, whose staff has managed to find hidden gems like Jon Marchessault, Yanni Gourde and Alex Barre-Boulet through UFA signings.

Yes and no.

Your drafting is not great when you have golden oppurtunities to take Barzal/Connor/Chabot or Aho or Tkachuk or DeBrincat ... and you miss the bus all four times.

Some of the later drafting has gotten better but it's hard to claim "mission accomplished" right now. Every team has a Caleb Jones in their system.

Even Kailer Yamamoto is a bit of a question mark right now.

At this point though even if say Caleb Jones turns out to an OK player, the 2015 and 2016 drafts past the obvious McDavid pick have largely been a disaster for this franchise considering what they could have come out of there with.

Oct 15, 2017
I like where peopel are going with looking at Tampa, but how cold you not go after Pat Verbeek.

" NHL veteran PAT VERBEEK enters his ninth season with the Tampa Bay Lightning, his eighth as assistant general manager. He was hired by the Lightning as director of professional scouting on June 8, 2010 and then named assistant general manager on July 1, 2011. Verbeek oversees all of the team's professional scouting operations, aids in player procurement and reports directly to the general manager.
Before joining the Lightning, Verbeek, 54, spent four seasons as a pro scout with the Detroit Red Wings, assisting the management staff as the organization both built from within and made key acquisitions from outside to build a deep and talented roster. He scouted select teams at both the NHL and AHL levels, providing key information to the Detroit coaching and management staffs regarding potential trades and free agent acquisitions.
A native of Sarnia, Ontario, Verbeek played for five different teams during a 20-year NHL career. He appeared in 1,424 games with the New Jersey Devils, Hartford Whalers, New York Rangers, Dallas Stars and Red Wings, compiling 522 goals and 1,063 points. He is the only player in NHL history to total more than 500 goals and 2,500 career penalty minutes. Verbeek also won the Stanley Cup with Dallas in 1999.
Verbeek recently served as director of player personnel for Team North America at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey. During the summer of 2015, Verbeek served on the management team for Hockey Canada at the IIHF World Championships in the Czech Republic. Canada won the Gold Medal in dominating fashion, with a 6-1 win over Russia in the title game. It was Verbeek's first time on a Team Canada management team.
Verbeek was originally drafted by New Jersey in the third round, 43rd overall, of the 1982 NHL Entry Draft."

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I like where peopel are going with looking at Tampa, but how cold you not go after Pat Verbeek.

" NHL veteran PAT VERBEEK enters his ninth season with the Tampa Bay Lightning, his eighth as assistant general manager. He was hired by the Lightning as director of professional scouting on June 8, 2010 and then named assistant general manager on July 1, 2011. Verbeek oversees all of the team's professional scouting operations, aids in player procurement and reports directly to the general manager.
Before joining the Lightning, Verbeek, 54, spent four seasons as a pro scout with the Detroit Red Wings, assisting the management staff as the organization both built from within and made key acquisitions from outside to build a deep and talented roster. He scouted select teams at both the NHL and AHL levels, providing key information to the Detroit coaching and management staffs regarding potential trades and free agent acquisitions.
A native of Sarnia, Ontario, Verbeek played for five different teams during a 20-year NHL career. He appeared in 1,424 games with the New Jersey Devils, Hartford Whalers, New York Rangers, Dallas Stars and Red Wings, compiling 522 goals and 1,063 points. He is the only player in NHL history to total more than 500 goals and 2,500 career penalty minutes. Verbeek also won the Stanley Cup with Dallas in 1999.
Verbeek recently served as director of player personnel for Team North America at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey. During the summer of 2015, Verbeek served on the management team for Hockey Canada at the IIHF World Championships in the Czech Republic. Canada won the Gold Medal in dominating fashion, with a 6-1 win over Russia in the title game. It was Verbeek's first time on a Team Canada management team.
Verbeek was originally drafted by New Jersey in the third round, 43rd overall, of the 1982 NHL Entry Draft."
BN surely knows him?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
GM thread, but i'll make a coaching predict

Flyers will upgrade to Q, and the Oil will sign Gordon b/c of his limited success. Personally, not a big fan. He hasn't been bad at all, and the Flyers are playing fantastic, but his breakouts are not at all what McD needs

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I actually agree that the teams drafting has been much better. Chia did go after college free agents as well. I want that trend to continue. But at the pro level you need to continue the philosophy. Otherwise you undo any good. Part of that is picking a coach that will play skill rather than turn everyone into Ernie the Grinder.

Oct 15, 2008
I actually agree that the teams drafting has been much better. Chia did go after college free agents as well. I want that trend to continue. But at the pro level you need to continue the philosophy. Otherwise you undo any good. Part of that is picking a coach that will play skill rather than turn everyone into Ernie the Grinder.
As long as Mact is involved you will never see skill>grinding.

Reactions: Aerchon

forecheck

May 14, 2007
Hunter's primary involvement was in the 2015,2016 and 2017 drafts. It's hard to see how the Leafs did not draft well especially when they have Matthews and Marner as two of the first round picks. Matthews was a no-brainer of course but Marner was perhaps a bit more of a choice. But even if you reject those picks its hard to argue that Dermott, Bracco and Neilsen at 34, 61 and 65 were not excellent picks. I think you could also argue that there first 4 picks in 2016 were solid choices based on progress to date.

Hunter is more of a AGM/ Director of Scouting guy..in my opinion ..His talent evaluation is what he does best and this would be restricted in a traditional GM role.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Yes and no.

Your drafting is not great when you have golden oppurtunities to take Barzal/Connor/Chabot or Aho or Tkachuk or DeBrincat ... and you miss the bus all four times.
trading a 1st and 2nd rounder has literally nothing to do with drafting lol

and I don't remember too many people around here in 2016 being mad we didn't pick Tkachuk...99.9 % of Oiler fans were ecstatic we got Jesse

2016 Draft: 1st Pick: Jesse Puljujarvi

Even Kailer Yamamoto is a bit of a question mark right now.
why? who should they have picked instead?

At this point though even if say Caleb Jones turns out to an OK player, the 2015 and 2016 drafts past the obvious McDavid pick have largely been a disaster for this franchise considering what they could have come out of there with.
far too early to predicting "disaster" status from the pick we made in 2015 and 2016
holy hyperbole

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
As long as Mact is involved you will never see skill>grinding.
MacT for me is a test case for how the team moves forward. If he remains in a position of any influence then that is more proof that the team is totally tone deaf with respect its fans. The guy is 60 years old. He's not going to some how morph into a person who understands today's players or today's game. Time to move on was 5 years ago but to not acknowledge that now at least would be extremely disappointing. And to suggest that a guy who carries the title of Senior Vice President Hockey Operations is not complicit in where the team is right now is an insult to the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad