Top GM Replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
2 great points on Lowetides show today.

John Shannon reports that Bobby N will consult with the other NHL teams at the GM meetings regarding hiring a GM.

Point 1...why in the world would Bobby N think that the other 30 teams (teams that would like nothing more than to beat the Oilers badly) will help the Oilers in this process?

Point 2....why would Nicholson make public what he is doing?

How on earth can anybody feel confident that Bobby N will get this right?
Maybe somebody can convince me that this team and this process is in good hands because I am just not feeling it at all.
Booby Nicks just pretending like he knows what he's doing

worked when he was at Hockey Canada!

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

John Shannon reports that Bobby N will consult with the other NHL teams at the GM meetings regarding hiring a GM.

Point 1...why in the world would Bobby N think that the other 30 teams (teams that would like nothing more than to beat the Oilers badly) will help the Oilers in this process?

Maybe somebody can convince me that this team and this process is in good hands because I am just not feeling it at all.

That's gotta be a roundabout way of saying he's going to try to poach an AGM from someone and is seeking permission.

I hope.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Booby Nicks just pretending like he knows what he's doing

worked when he was at Hockey Canada!

Not much about Bobby N leads me to think that he is the right man for the job. His Hockey Canada connections may end up being important but he isnt with HC any more.
He is an Oilers executive so I just dont understand why he would think that anybody on another NHL team is even remotely interested in 'helping' him.

Thats like Wile E Coyote taking the advice of a rival coyote on how to catch the Roadrunner.
The advice is almost assuredly going to be counter productive.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Not much about Bobby N leads me to think that he is the right man for the job. His Hockey Canada connections may end up being important but he isnt with HC any more.
He is an Oilers executive so I just dont understand why he would think that anybody on another NHL team is even remotely interested in 'helping' him.

Thats like Wile E Coyote taking the advice of a rival coyote on how to catch the Roadrunner.
The advice is almost assuredly going to be counter productive.

They're going to recommend Chia again. :laugh:

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
" I beleive in Chiarelli's plan "

- Bob Nicholson

" We are conducting Internal Forensics and have concluded this is the plan we are moving ahead with "

-Bob Nicholson

" I believe the Oilers will make the playoffs. We are only a few key pieces away but the roster we have now is good enough to take us there "

-Bob Nicholson

" We were all in on Koskinen's 4.5 million a year contract as there are no goalies on Koskinens level we will be able to find in the Summer "

-Bob Nicholson

" There something in the water here in Edmonton "

-Bob Nicholson

"We need more character in the dressing room "

-Bob Nicholson

" Our key guys have to buy in "

-Bob Nicholson

" We are so close, we are in every game, its not a talent issue, its a character issue, guy have to play for one another "

-Bob Nicholson

Guy is such a troll.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
It would be such an Oiler thing to do for Nicholson to go to GM meetings and poach ideas.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley

Maybe somebody can convince me that this team and this process are in good hands because I am just not feeling it at all.

Fully convinced that Bob Nicholson knows very little about hockey. His interviews are dead giveaways.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I should be hired as GM. I will trade away McDavid for John Scott since he has the character that we need. Plus, he is an engineer, which means he could help design a water filtration system to fix the water in Edmonton!

Reactions: phillipmatchett

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Dreger says the Oilers would like to start speaking to candidates in the next 10-14 days. Their list is around 10 names right now and will be narrowed down. On the list:

Kelly McCrimmon
Dave Nonis
Keith Gretzky
Sean Burke
Mike Futa
Mark Hunter

George McPhee isn't going to let anyone speak to McCrimmon until the Golden Knights' season is over.

Reactions: MessierII

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
I think it's funny that the only person to mention Dave Nonis's name as a candidate is Darren Dreger (his cousin). Nonis has spectacularly failed twice as a GM already.

Haha I was coming in here to say the same thing. He also previously dropped his name as well, it's painfully obvious he's going out of his way to mention Nonis.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Dreger says the Oilers would like to start speaking to candidates in the next 10-14 days. Their list is around 10 names right now and will be narrowed down. On the list:

Kelly McCrimmon
Dave Nonis
Keith Gretzky
Sean Burke
Mike Futa
Mark Hunter

George McPhee isn't going to let anyone speak to McCrimmon until the Golden Knights' season is over.
If Sean Burke can manage the team and turn Koskinen into Rinne, sign me up.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
If Sean Burke can manage the team and turn Koskinen into Rinne, sign me up.

Doubt he'd have much hands on training with the goalie, but maybe he'd actually get us some decent goalie coaching.

Also thank God there's another reason other than Oilers incompetence that Nonis was mentioned... I was starting to be concerned the Oilers were seriously considering that failure.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Kelly McCrimmon
Dave Nonis
Keith Gretzky
Sean Burke
Mike Futa
Mark Hunter

Waiting that long to speak to McCrommon... Might be too long. Another long playoff run and the team might be in a weird spot. That said if they go that long wait route then there won't be too many changes in the off season/draft which means it'll be a year of the gm learning the roster.

That said I wouldn't hate if they hired someone earlier and just said no thanks to waiting for McCrimmon

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Waiting that long to speak to McCrommon... Might be too long. Another long playoff run and the team might be in a weird spot. That said if they go that long wait route then there won't be too many changes in the off season/draft which means it'll be a year of the gm learning the roster.

That said I wouldn't hate if they hired someone earlier and just said no thanks to waiting for McCrimmon

I can't think of any reason McPhee wouldn't let us speak to McCrimmon now other than he doesn't want McCrimmon to manage a division rival. Seems odd to me.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I can't think of any reason McPhee wouldn't let us speak to McCrimmon now other than he doesn't want McCrimmon to manage a division rival. Seems odd to me.
Keeping him till the season is over makes little sense. Only real managing between now and.. Then is... Calling players up? Just seems like they know how good he is and is hoping the Oilers won't wait.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Keeping him till the season is over makes little sense. Only real managing between now and.. Then is... Calling players up? Just seems like they know how good he is and is hoping the Oilers won't wait.

Still amateur scouting to be done. Planning for the draft. Planning for free agency. Scouting undrafted players. Working on player contracts etc.

Lots for an assistant GM to do until the season ends.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
" I beleive in Chiarelli's plan "

- Bob Nicholson

" We are conducting Internal Forensics and have concluded this is the plan we are moving ahead with "

-Bob Nicholson

" I believe the Oilers will make the playoffs. We are only a few key pieces away but the roster we have now is good enough to take us there "

-Bob Nicholson

" We were all in on Koskinen's 4.5 million a year contract as there are no goalies on Koskinens level we will be able to find in the Summer "

-Bob Nicholson

" There something in the water here in Edmonton "

-Bob Nicholson

"We need more character in the dressing room "

-Bob Nicholson

" Our key guys have to buy in "

-Bob Nicholson

" We are so close, we are in every game, its not a talent issue, its a character issue, guy have to play for one another "

-Bob Nicholson

Guy is such a troll.

Now that you mention it...

images

Reactions: Skar and oil4life97

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Still amateur scouting to be done. Planning for the draft. Planning for free agency. Scouting undrafted players. Working on player contracts etc.

Lots for an assistant GM to do until the season ends.
True but if they let him go at the end of the season, you have a rival gm with ALL that info

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Maybe I am too pessimistic these days but I just feel like Nicholson is picking popular names out of a hat. I just have no confidence in him to actually picking the right person to lead this team. I hope the new GM guts the hockey operations.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

He's being a dick. Previously he said he wouldn't stand in the way of McCrimmon becoming a GM.

I can't see McPhee ****-blocking McCrimmon like that. McCrimmon would be pretty choked as there aren't many GM jobs available right now. What my reality is GMGM saying "You have my permission to interview him but if he's the guy you eventually offer the job to and he accepts, the deal is you wait until our season is complete to make the announcement and hiring official."

I'm sure neither party would have a problem with that.

Edit: I saw Rishaug's tweet in the R & P thread...I'm quite surprised, GMGM has given the other teams a PFO.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Totally absurd that Hextall is not on that list

"Hextall said he took a three-stage approach toward trying to build a contender: clean up the salary-cap mess left behind by Holmgren, his predecessor; watch prospects grow as a team; make a big splash through free agency or a trade when the Flyers were close to "go time."

"Hextall was criticized for refusing to listen to scouts and advisers and had been accused of cutting off alumni access to the team."

"I can assure you, I was being aggressive," he said. "If we would have had something that made sense for us, short term and long term, we would have done it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad