Nov 11, 2011
the four major ones in Nova Scotia are:

1. Mitchell Balmas--Forward--Breton Sports (Cape Breton) 15 18 04 22
2. Brett Crossely--Forward--Pro Hockey Life (Cole Harbour) 14 09 07 16
3. Keith Getson--Forward--Western Hurricans 14 09 12 21
4. Alexander Arab--Forward--Bedford Blues 12 09 04 13

Balmas is 3rd in league scoring

How about O'Leary?

Do you have a read on players from PEI, NB and Nfld?

betweenthepipes55

Nov 11, 2011
Watched Arab play this past weekend. He looked very good for Bedford. Calm with the puck and makes really smart plays.

Nauss (TASA Bubba Rays) and Poirier (Nova Jr X-Men) looked pretty good from what I saw this past weekend as well for NS 98's

Some guys from NB to keep a watch on from what I have seen so far this year are Sam King (KV Vitos), Ben Reade (Moncton Hawks) and Ryan Kenny (Northern Blackhawks).

Hey Scoutman1 - did not see your comments on NB players until now. Agree they are all pretty strong players.

From PEI, I thought Chaisson and Hambly looked strong - both forwards and Hambly can play D as well.

From NS - I also like O'Leary

From NB - I agree with your choices

From Nfld - Maher forward and Murphy D-Man look good so far...

How about goalies?

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008
the four major ones in Nova Scotia are:

1. Mitchell Balmas--Forward--Breton Sports (Cape Breton) 15 18 04 22
2. Brett Crossely--Forward--Pro Hockey Life (Cole Harbour) 14 09 07 16
3. Keith Getson--Forward--Western Hurricans 14 09 12 21
4. Alexander Arab--Forward--Bedford Blues 12 09 04 13

Balmas is 3rd in league scoring

Watched all four of these guys this past weekend.

Balmas is a step above. He is definitely the top 98 I have seen in the maritimes. Uses his size and speed to his advantage and has a nose for the net.

Crossely looked good as well. Got some time on the point during PP's and moved the puck well. Game I saw was full of penalties and tough to get much of a read.

Getson looked good as well. Nice hands and very shifty

Arab was unspectacular. Played well but did not stand out much.

IslandScouter

Nov 22, 2011
Prince Edward Island
How about 97's from PEI?

97's from PEI were very weak IMO. Pei teams did very poorly,

'Top' 97's:

Max Morrison (Kings)
Brayden White (Matrix)

Dissappointed in Larter's (Pownal) play, was suppose to be the big player coming out of the islander for his age, but didn't stand out.

Top 98:

Alex Hambly (Pownal)
?? Pinkham (Matrix)

Hockey2011

Nov 7, 2011
The PEI 97's are not that strong. Although they do have a few players that would compare to the best of the other Atlantic provinces.

Larter (Pownal) certainly struggled a bit all right but when he is on he is very good.
Morrison (Kings) is a strong player....could work on conditioning though.

Evoy (CIH Voyaguers), Ronahan (Charlottetown) and Sanderson (CIH Voyaguers) looked pretty good.

Evoy has got speed and scoring ability but is a smaller player.
Ronahan and Sanderson are DMen.

Ronahan is a big player and a good skater, more of stay at home D.
Sanderson is a big player as well...skates extremely well and is able to jump into the play.

IslandScouter

Nov 22, 2011
Prince Edward Island
The PEI 97's are not that strong. Although they do have a few players that would compare to the best of the other Atlantic provinces.

Larter (Pownal) certainly struggled a bit all right but when he is on he is very good.
Morrison (Kings) is a strong player....could work on conditioning though.

Evoy (CIH Voyaguers), Ronahan (Charlottetown) and Sanderson (CIH Voyaguers) looked pretty good.

Evoy has got speed and scoring ability but is a smaller player.
Ronahan and Sanderson are DMen.

Ronahan is a big player and a good skater, more of stay at home D.
Sanderson is a big player as well...skates extremely well and is able to jump into the play.

IMO Evoy really dropped off from last year at the ACC, I felt he was PEI's best player as u-14 but then this year at u-15 he seemed to have lost a step.

Evoy, Ronohan(sp) and Sanderson werent in Dartmouth at the tournament so that is why I didnt comment on them. Just by taking a look at the Stats on PEI BAAA website looks like a lot of the league leaders didn't play POE, or at least werent on ANYONES radar

canada scout

Nov 28, 2011
nfld players

those players are from 2 years ago can we have a more update and accurate top players in nfld, including forwards, defence and goalies?

betweenthepipes55

Nov 11, 2011
Update on 98 Nfld Players

Hello Canada Scout,

I am just returning from overseas travel and just noticing your comment. I assume you were referencing the 98's in your comment as NL has a strong batch of 97's. I provide these added comments based on my observations and discussions with key hockey people in NL.

Top F are:

Jordon Maher he is an explosive and strong skater, fit, has great speed and an excellent shot. He has the ability to make the difference on the ice and influence play. Saw him at the Atlantic Showcase and he played strong and I also saw him at the ACC and his pressence on the ice was noticable.

Jesse Sutton - a good goal scorer, good speed and ability to find the back of the net. Can be clutch. His only strike against him is some weakness in skating and tends to avoid the dirty areas. He is considered among the top 98's according to my contacts but I did not see him stand out enough at the ACC to comment further. His name has come up in the past.

Tyler Planetta - strong power forward, has ability to influence play, very physical and can find the back of the net. I understand his fitness level may be questionable but considered a strong skater. I saw him at the ACC and thought his work ethic was excellent. Apparently this player has emerged from the ashes the past year and is making a good name for himself. If his fitness improves he will be a powerhouse. Someone to watch out for.

Blake Fudge - another top 98 in NL. I saw him at the ACC and noticed his strong work ethic, willingness to get dirty, can find the back of the net. A very hard worker that earned him the Hard Hat Award according to the website. He also has good size but he needs to work on his skating.

Top Def are:

Andrew Murphy - considered the best all round player (can play both F or D equally well), a very strong agile skater, excellent hockey sense. Very Unselfish! He is very explosive in the rush. Has the ability to influence the play on the ice. His size is his only knock at this time however I understand he plays like he is over 6' tall so not a major factor. I actually had the good fortune to watch him at the Atlantic Showcase and was very impressed. Size was not a factor when skating is beyond most everyone else. I also saw him at the ACC and he was very solid on the blueline. My contacts consider him likely the best 98 in NL and someone to watch out for in the future. His name comes up often in the Maritimes.

Goalies:

Evan Fitzpatrick - very skilled goalie with excelloent size as well. Has the ability to steal games from the opponent. He is considered among the best 98 (maybe in Atlantic) however I gather he lacks consistency at times. I watched him at the ACC and he was not his best there based on conversations with folks that know him.

Luke Bhatia - I did not know too much about him until I saw him at the ACC and he played amazingly but I do not know much more beyond that. My contacts say he has the ability to steal games and when hot he is very hard to score on. I understand he is someone to watch in the future.

I will be visiting NL next week and will provide a further update on 98's upon my return.

So hopefully that helps you understand better who are the top 98's. Not sure where your "players from 2 years ago comments came from" as these guys were only 1st year Pee Wee and as you know....no one looks at 1st year Pee Wee.

I will be giving an update on NS, NB and PEI over the next couple of weeks.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
I know he is not from NFLD but is Colby Tower a 1st or 2nd year bantam? I watched him over the weekend and he was the C for Nova and i'm pretty sure he is only first year? Am I right?

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
In case anyone was wondering about the progress of the newfoundland boys at shattuck, they are playing bantam tier 1:

Nathan Noel- GP 21 G 23 A 23 P 46 (3rd in team scoring)
Andrew Picco- GP 20 G 1 A 15 P 16

IslandScouter

Nov 22, 2011
Prince Edward Island
For those interested I follow the PEI bantam league regularly because I have a nephew in the league.

So far this year 98's that look good are:

Alex Hambly (Pownal)- IMO best player his age from the island, great speed, hands and shot. Only knock is his size. 7 goals leads first years

Colton Chaisson (Western)- Big power forward, especially for a first year kid. Centers there second line

Kyle Pinksen (Mid Isle) Decent size, good all around

Ryne MacIsaac (Charlottetown) Leads all first years in pts 18 in 15 games, great skill, too small and timid to be effective

Jesse Annear(Kings) Top defence for his age, smart with the puck

As far as the 97's go there are some suprises, top players I have noticed so far include:

Cole Hackett (Western)
Max Morrisson (Kings)
Jonathan Arsenault ( Ch'town)
Drew Gallant (Ch'town)
Morgan Mcdonald (Kings)
Ryan Steele (Pownal)

Going into the year everyone was talking about Larter (Pownal) in the games I have seen him play he hasnt done much

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
In case anyone was wondering about the progress of the newfoundland boys at shattuck, they are playing bantam tier 1:

Both these guys have 5 less games played then their teammates, and the games they had missed there were 40 goals scored by their team.

betweenthepipes55

Nov 11, 2011
Hello Proud PEI...I am writing from wonderful Vancouver. I guess you got it covered re PEI...and yes...all good from what I have seen of them over the past few months...

I had dinner with some folks from the East Coast and we were chatting hockey as usual. Since you are from PEI I will share this....I guess the Murphy boy from NL is not a NLer afterall. Thought you might be interested in knowing that his mother is a from your neck of the woods...beautiful PEI.....but he was actually born in my neck of the woods....New Brunswick (not sure where)...and they think he is moving to Nova Scotia next year....so I guess he has all of Atlantic covered...haha. It will be interesting to see who he plays with in Nova Scotia next year (if true)?

betweenthepipes55

Nov 11, 2011

I have had the good fortune to watch Nathan Noel a few times now (Atlantic Showcase, ACC twice, Moncton)...and he is just dynomite...he floats on his feet...and a joy to watch. He has great potential to go far in my view...

Picco is also a great D-Man and his size is an asset....

Brion Burry

May 11, 2011
the rink
For those interested I follow the PEI bantam league regularly because I have a nephew in the league.

So far this year 98's that look good are:

Alex Hambly (Pownal)- IMO best player his age from the island, great speed, hands and shot. Only knock is his size. 7 goals leads first years

Colton Chaisson (Western)- Big power forward, especially for a first year kid. Centers there second line

Kyle Pinksen (Mid Isle) Decent size, good all around

Ryne MacIsaac (Charlottetown) Leads all first years in pts 18 in 15 games, great skill, too small and timid to be effective

Jesse Annear(Kings) Top defence for his age, smart with the puck

As far as the 97's go there are some suprises, top players I have noticed so far include:

Cole Hackett (Western)
Max Morrisson (Kings)
Jonathan Arsenault ( Ch'town)
Drew Gallant (Ch'town)
Morgan Mcdonald (Kings)
Ryan Steele (Pownal)

Going into the year everyone was talking about Larter (Pownal) in the games I have seen him play he hasnt done much

one of the best 97 players from pei is playing in ontario

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad