Top born 97's prospects in NFLD

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008
cody mcphee is from charlottetown and playing minor midget at ontario hockey academy. so hes a 97 playing up an age group

The majority of the OHA Minor Midget team is from Atlantic Canada. I think Yves Sarault recruited pretty hard with the 97s in NB Bantam AAA last year. I think they have 8 NB kids and 2 PEI kids

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
Watched all four of these guys this past weekend.

Balmas is a step above. He is definitely the top 98 I have seen in the maritimes. Uses his size and speed to his advantage and has a nose for the net.

Crossely looked good as well. Got some time on the point during PP's and moved the puck well. Game I saw was full of penalties and tough to get much of a read.

Getson looked good as well. Nice hands and very shifty

Arab was unspectacular. Played well but did not stand out much.

Getson is simply put ... a beast for a 98. Extremely strong for his age. He plays AAA Ball in the summer and this year he hit a ~500 ft HR : 325 to the fence and 175 more past a playground on the other side.

Arab has discipline issues in his game

Mitchell Balmas is in a league of his own, hands down the best complete 98 in NS.

AtlanticScoutMan

Dec 10, 2011
You should take a look at Curtis Scales from Newfoundland, great 2 way player.

You should take a look at curtis scales from newfoundland, i think he is playing in ontario this year and doing very well. I was recently talking to his parents and i think his name will come up in the future.

IslandScouter

Nov 22, 2011
Prince Edward Island
The majority of the OHA Minor Midget team is from Atlantic Canada. I think Yves Sarault recruited pretty hard with the 97s in NB Bantam AAA last year. I think they have 8 NB kids and 2 PEI kids

How does that minor midge league compare to a maritime minor midget AAA, 97's would be technically second year bantam so they must have different age groups? or are they playing as under agers

ConcernedFather

Dec 11, 2011
Dear betweenthepipes55,

A friend brought to my attention a posting regarding my son, Andrew Murphy et al...interesting. I had to register to reply to you as I could not believe my eyes! What I do not like about this is there are several messages posted about various players without the writer having the balls to at least identify themselves....so makes me wonder what's up? Sounds like a biggest pile of bull that I have ever seen.... Furthermore, the comments do nothing really but paint a bullseye on a players back (and for you Dad's out there writing these comments about your son as if it was from some scout...think about it). That last thing we need is my son or any others for that matter to be a victim (target) of other players (and even parents) because you have painted him like someone to watch out for. Give me a break! It's laughable. We just went through a Facebook mess and now this BS. When you do come to NL...please come see me at the rink (ie identify yourself)...I want to know who you are and how you would know anything about these players...it concerns me. The only thing that I can interpret is you knowing nothing...and please refrain from writing about Andrew again...

Patrick Murphy

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Dear betweenthepipes55,

A friend brought to my attention a posting regarding my son, Andrew Murphy et al...interesting. I had to register to reply to you as I could not believe my eyes! What I do not like about this is there are several messages posted about various players without the writer having the balls to at least identify themselves....so makes me wonder what's up? Sounds like a biggest pile of bull that I have ever seen.... Furthermore, the comments do nothing really but paint a bullseye on a players back (and for you Dad's out there writing these comments about your son as if it was from some scout...think about it). That last thing we need is my son or any others for that matter to be a victim (target) of other players (and even parents) because you have painted him like someone to watch out for. Give me a break! It's laughable. We just went through a Facebook mess and now this BS. When you do come to NL...please come see me at the rink (ie identify yourself)...I want to know who you are and how you would know anything about these players...it concerns me. The only thing that I can interpret is you knowing nothing...and please refrain from writing about Andrew again...

Patrick Murphy

Unless I drastically misinterpreted something that was said, it looks like you're upset over praise of your son? Or is it the fact that there's any information on your son at all? He stated where and when he saw the players he was talking about play, so..It's a scout's job to find out this information, isn't it? Maybe your kid shouldn't play sports if you can't handle it.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I was waiting for that...Ding ding, round one...Seriously though, mad about a scout saying your son is one of the best and saying he will get targeted? The best player on any team always gets keyed on, and their response usually shows why they get special attention.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Dear betweenthepipes55,

Patrick Murphy

"Andrew Murphy - considered the best all round player (can play both F or D equally well), a very strong agile skater, excellent hockey sense. Very Unselfish! He is very explosive in the rush. Has the ability to influence the play on the ice. His size is his only knock at this time however I understand he plays like he is over 6' tall so not a major factor. I actually had the good fortune to watch him at the Atlantic Showcase and was very impressed. Size was not a factor when skating is beyond most everyone else. I also saw him at the ACC and he was very solid on the blueline. My contacts consider him likely the best 98 in NL and someone to watch out for in the future. His name comes up often in the Maritimes."

What ar you going on about? Your getting mad over a compliment...

Letsgo14

Dec 12, 2011
East coast
For those interested I follow the PEI bantam league regularly because I have a nephew in the league.

So far this year 98's that look good are:

Alex Hambly (Pownal)- IMO best player his age from the island, great speed, hands and shot. Only knock is his size. 7 goals leads first years

Colton Chaisson (Western)- Big power forward, especially for a first year kid. Centers there second line

Kyle Pinksen (Mid Isle) Decent size, good all around

Ryne MacIsaac (Charlottetown) Leads all first years in pts 18 in 15 games, great skill, too small and timid to be effective

Jesse Annear(Kings) Top defence for his age, smart with the puck

As far as the 97's go there are some suprises, top players I have noticed so far include:

Cole Hackett (Western)
Max Morrisson (Kings)
Jonathan Arsenault ( Ch'town)
Drew Gallant (Ch'town)
Morgan Mcdonald (Kings)
Ryan Steele (Pownal)

Going into the year everyone was talking about Larter (Pownal) in the games I have seen him play he hasnt done much

2 other 98's i think should also be there..

T.J Shea(Western) Very strong on the puck..good hand's..natural center..need's to grow

Brendan Shea(western) See's the ice very well..move's the puck well..good 2 way player

betweenthepipes55

Nov 11, 2011
Dear betweenthepipes55,

Patrick Murphy
Hi Mr. M,

I had to make some calls regarding your concerns because this is a first for me. I can certainly understand your point of view and as you can see we are only complementary. I did hear from sources about the Facebook incident and understand it was a false account set up in his name and became a source of concern. I also understand he became a bit of a target at your HPP and thereafter but so goes the battle. He's going to be a target all the time. By the way, we actually met before at the Montreal Meltdown. I was the guy who came up to you asking who #6 was and you said it was your son. We did have a nice chat. I was there for other reasons but happen to catch a few games to kill time between meetings...

To jog your memroy...I am a Business Consultant that works with Senior Executives re Strategic Buisiness Planning for large corporates globally. If you are recalling, I also do some work for sports teams re motivational sessions and do scouting for Prep Schools as well as the Q....does this ring a bell now? My plans have changed some but I will be in NL after the New Year and will give you a call. I know how to reach you and I have a good reason to chat...

Cheers!
TMac :)

betweenthepipes55

Nov 11, 2011
Unless I drastically misinterpreted something that was said, it looks like you're upset over praise of your son? Or is it the fact that there's any information on your son at all? He stated where and when he saw the players he was talking about play, so..It's a scout's job to find out this information, isn't it? Maybe your kid shouldn't play sports if you can't handle it.
Let it go please....have you ever seen him skate?

betweenthepipes55

Nov 11, 2011
By the way, I started using this site recently just to see what others are saying and to get leads for players... It is important to know what players are heading into their second year Bantam that have skills and talent. Second year Bantam is an important year. Atlantic Canada has a fine batch of talent...and I know there are more names that do not even get a mention...

Anyway, enough said...let's just move forward....

ConcernedFather

Dec 11, 2011
humm....I do vaguely recall that now that you have added some additional background on yourself...but I thought you were from Ontario, not New Brunswick? And you hit the nail right on the head as to why I am bothered...otherwise I would have said nothing...

I will just vanish....LOL!

betweenthepipes55

Nov 11, 2011
98 Team Atlantic - TOP PICKS

If I were to pick a true 1998 Atlantic Select Team made, here is a good selection (in no particular order):

Goalies:
Mathew Williams - Nova Scotia
Luke Bhatia - Newfoundland
Ethan Domokos - NB

Defense:
Elijah Francis - NB*
Allen Boutilier - NS
Luke Green - NS
Andrew Murphy - NL*
Graham Rutledge - NS
Morgan Nauss - NS

Forwards:
Ryan Kenny - NB
Sam King - NB
Noah Archibald - NS
Mitchell Balmas - NS
Keith Getson - NS
Michael O'Leary - NS
Alex Hambly - PEI*
Jordon Maher - NL
Brett Crossley - NS

* = can play forward or defense

Note: a team of very strong skaters with a good mixture of size, skills and toughness...

Others include:

Tardif - NB
Planetta - NL
H MacIntyre - PEI
C MacEachern - PEI
M Green - NS
Chaisson - PEI
Arab - NS
Bance - NS

This Team could win a Top Level Elite Tournament such as Toronto Prospects, Ronald MacDonald Elite, ProHockey Shootout, NAPS, etc....

What are your thoughts? Who am I missing?

Last edited:

IslandScouter

Nov 22, 2011
Prince Edward Island
Some PEI players that also be considered

And you would have more than 9 forwards on a team atlantic

Jesse Annear D
Ryne Macisaac F
Liam Jay G

betweenthepipes looking forward to your PEI scouting report similiar to NFLDS

betweenthepipes55

Nov 11, 2011
Some PEI players that also be considered

And you would have more than 9 forwards on a team atlantic

Jesse Annear D
Ryne Macisaac F
Liam Jay G

betweenthepipes looking forward to your PEI scouting report similiar to NFLDS
Unfortunately I did not have much on Annear so the reason he was not on my list just yet BUT that does not mean he should not be there.

You can easily add to the list but had in mind more of a spring team at this stage. Too early to forecast anything like an U17 Team...much can change in terms of fitness, skill and desire to want it more than the other guy...furthermore kids may decide the girls are more important than the hockey, rebell, get tattooed, amongst other things...and drop the hockey...BUT something tells me my selections are not in that category...

Next year is a critical year for these kids...second year Bantam...many forks in the road...

PEI Overview:

Chaisson - has great size and strong work Ethic. He can play very physical and has the ability to influence the play. Good skater and has speed. Good shot. I did note at the ACC he tired out as the games rolled on...so can work on fitness. He showed very well at the Atlantic Showcase in PEI...

Hambly - he is just a joy to watch. IMO he is the best all round player in PEI and one that can play both F or D equally well (similar to you know who, haha). Amazing skater, great decision maker, and terrific speed. Even though he is not overly big he makes up for it with his quickness and quick response time with a puck. Shifty!! He has the ability to infuence the play and I hear he is highly sought after by spring teams. I can see why. Definitely someone to watch out for in the future. His name comes up often in the Maritimes. He was very strong at the Atlantic Showcase in PEI.

H McIntyre - he is another top pick in my view as he can also influence the play, he is a great play maker and terrific skater. Keeps with the play well. Size is his only negative but that will change...he showed well at the Atlantic showcase in PEI.

Pinksen - I should know more about him as I did note he was at the ACC. I recall he is solid but never spent a great deal of time watching him as I did with others...only so much time available. His name has come up quite a bit so I will have to keep an eye on him next opportunity.

Riley Smith - I did have some notes on Smith. He is a strong player with good size and play very physical to his advantage. Very strong work ethic, and battles hard in the corners. My contacts say he needs to work on fitness which is consistent with him getting tired easily...could just be when I watche dhim...someone to watch out for if he continues to work hard at it...I understand his borther attends a Prep so wouldn't be surprised to see him follow suit...

MacEachern - I thought he played well at the ACC. His skating is considered to be very strong and he can carry the puck well. I understand he comes from an honest athletic background with his father being in the Olympics..., He seems very fit and has great speed. I hear he needs to work on his physical play...which I thought odd considering he never back down from taking or delivering any checks.

That's all I had on PEI (similar to NL only 4-6 players)...can only watch so many at a time...and I know there are many good players at the 98 age group...but I have intentions to watch several.

New Brunsick is similar to PEI/NL but Nova Scotia had a few more...will have to revert back a bit later...

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008
If I were to pick a true 1998 Atlantic Select Team made, here is a good selection (in no particular order):

Goalies:
Mathew Williams - Nova Scotia
Luke Bhatia - Newfoundland
Ethan Domokos - NB

Defense:
Elijah Francis - NB*
Allen Boutilier - NS
Luke Green - NS
Andrew Murphy - NL*
Graham Rutledge - NS
Morgan Nauss - NS

Forwards:
Ryan Kenny - NB
Sam King - NB
Noah Archibald - NS
Mitchell Balmas - NS
Keith Getson - NS
Michael O'Leary - NS
Alex Hambly - PEI*
Jordon Maher - NL
Brett Crossley - NS

* = can play forward or defense

Note: a team of very strong skaters with a good mixture of size, skills and toughness...

Others include:

Tardif - NB
Planetta - NL
H MacIntyre - PEI
C MacEachern - PEI
M Green - NS
Chaisson - PEI
Arab - NS
Bance - NS

This Team could win a Top Level Elite Tournament such as Toronto Prospects, Ronald MacDonald Elite, ProHockey Shootout, NAPS, etc....

What are your thoughts? Who am I missing?

From NB, don't know if any of these guys are good enough to replace anyone from your roster;

F - Ben Reade (Moncton) - Very well could be the best 98 forward in NB. Great all around player. Not any one thing that stands out but does a lot of the little things right.

F - Malcolm Arseneau (District 3) - Small but very quick. Plays bigger than he is. Great shot and can move the puck hard for a small guy.

F - Taylor Leblanc (Fredericton) - Good skating ability, willing to get physical with anybody. Drives the net well.

D - Isaac McGraw (Saint John) - Controls the inside of the ice very well. Takes care of the dirty areas. Sees the ice well.

D - Jaden Simoneau (District 3) - Good skater and great acceleration. Reads the play well and jumps in offensively.

Curious to know if you have any reports on NB and NS. Would love to read them after the great job you have done on NL and PEI. Insight is much appreciated.

IslandScouter

Nov 22, 2011
Prince Edward Island
Good read betweenthepipes55,

If Hambly can put on some size he is the next big talent out of PEI, he is one of the best players in the league as a first year BAAA.

Chaisson would be my next favorite.

Did you get a chance to see any of the 97's from PEI.

Larter is struggling on paper this year, but has played a number of games with the Major Midgets and looks to fit in perfectly as an underager. so I have him as the top 97.

betweenthepipes55

Nov 11, 2011
From NB, don't know if any of these guys are good enough to replace anyone from your roster;

F - Ben Reade (Moncton) - Very well could be the best 98 forward in NB. Great all around player. Not any one thing that stands out but does a lot of the little things right.

F - Malcolm Arseneau (District 3) - Small but very quick. Plays bigger than he is. Great shot and can move the puck hard for a small guy.

F - Taylor Leblanc (Fredericton) - Good skating ability, willing to get physical with anybody. Drives the net well.

D - Isaac McGraw (Saint John) - Controls the inside of the ice very well. Takes care of the dirty areas. Sees the ice well.

D - Jaden Simoneau (District 3) - Good skater and great acceleration. Reads the play well and jumps in offensively.

Curious to know if you have any reports on NB and NS. Would love to read them after the great job you have done on NL and PEI. Insight is much appreciated.

I do have reports on NB and NS but going to be out of country for a few days and no time to write (but plenty of notes, LOL!). I will get back to you in a week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->