Top 50 prospect

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Enjoyed reading, thank you.

Not just this list, but can't help but feel Matt Boldy is being slept on a little after his D+1. Ok, he had 10 or so games to adjust in the NCAA, but then was a PPG as a freshman for the remainder of the year. Without a doubt, a creative, two-way, first line wing in my eyes. I think he'll dominate this season when it starts up for BC.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Not sure what you see in Liljegren. I don't think he's anything special. I think he's a bottom six pairing defenseman, and it's been slowly setting in stone the more I watch him. I think he's a good prospect to have in a pinch, but I don't see the top-four status he was purported to have when he was drafted -- let alone the top billing as a first overall pick he was slated to be a year before the draft.

Check out Liljegren’s draft+3 AHL stats and compare to other recent first round picks. Liljegren is on track to be a top pairing defenceman in his prime.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Check out Liljegren’s draft+3 AHL stats and compare to other recent first round picks. Liljegren is on track to be a top pairing defenceman in his prime.
I’m just not seeing it. Who are the comparisons, both good and bad?

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Brannstrom is a smurf defenceman at 5’9 (175cm), and not fast enough to compensate for his lack of size. His ceiling at the NHL level is really limited as a result.

that's your opinion. You don't need size to be an impact on defense these days. The Senators never needed to rush Brannstrom in the lineup. Him getting lots of minutes in the ahl has benefited his game.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
that's your opinion. You don't need size to be an impact on defense these days. The Senators never needed to rush Brannstrom in the lineup. Him getting lots of minutes in the ahl has benefited his game.

It’s not an opinion, it’s a fact. 5’9 180 lbs is very small for a defenseman. Brannstrom can’t skate like Hughes to make up for his lack of size either, and has lower hockey IQ as well. Hughes being an an example of an impact smaller defenseman, but even he is 5’10 at least.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Enjoyed reading, thank you.

Not just this list, but can't help but feel Matt Boldy is being slept on a little after his D+1. Ok, he had 10 or so games to adjust in the NCAA, but then was a PPG as a freshman for the remainder of the year. Without a doubt, a creative, two-way, first line wing in my eyes. I think he'll dominate this season when it starts up for BC.
He was also being used as a centre in the 1st 10 or so games I believe. When they moved him back to the wing, where he probably belongs, he took off.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Just curious why Robertson is rated so low?

So I dont get "Biased Leafs fan" replies, I would have him on par with Sandin and a tier above Liljegren

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Its tough to judge by AHL stats. I don't think he is a top pairing guy. Middle pairing more likely to me.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
It’s not an opinion, it’s a fact. 5’9 180 lbs is very small for a defenseman. Brannstrom can’t skate like Hughes to make up for his lack of size either, and has lower hockey IQ as well. Hughes being an an example of an impact smaller defenseman, but even he is 5’10 at least.

Brannstrom has a decent i.q for the game. I never once compared him to Quinn Hughes but thank you.

Brannstrom could be a late developer in the nhl as not many 18 or 19 year old defenceman play in the nhl right off the bat or should we say hockey stick? Playing him with the Senators was unnecessary as they were a bottom team so the time in the ahl was more beneficial as he received more playing time as well. Brannstrom will have no problem making the Sens out of camp I imagine with his talent level and i.q level.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I think ill stick to my own evaluation rather than someone who probably hasnt watched Merkley ever.
Ive seen Merkley plenty of times. He is AWFUL defensively. If he makes the NHL itll be as a bottom pairing, sheltered, PPQB.

I'm sure him being the Sharks only notable prospect had no effect on your evaluation of him...

Reactions: Seventyx7

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Ive seen Merkley plenty of times. He is AWFUL defensively. If he makes the NHL itll be as a bottom pairing, sheltered, PPQB.

I'm sure him being the Sharks only notable prospect had no effect on your evaluation of him...
Of course im biased, just like you are probably biased towards the wings prospects. However I have read a lot of prospect guys and scouts on this kind of stuff and all seem to agree that Merkley has worked on his flaws and gotten better while remaining one of the most offensively gifted prospects out there. Not saying hes number 1, but he is not miles behind a guy like Broberg.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
I guess we are all just going to ignore the elephant in the room that he has Stutzle over Laf?

I guess he was trying to be edgy there.

Think Lafrenière will be better sooner but the upside of Stuztle is really something...Mix of Mackinnon,Pasternak, and Panarin . He utilise the ice like no one...Crossover,backward skating(west-est), dynamic stikchandling, scan the ice, keep the puck, create a shooting line... He able to done that type of play in situation that most of player will dump the puck or lose it

Laf had a high end IQ but more linear in his game. Need less time to be good, but I'm like more skills set of Stuztle than maturity of Laf. My favorite prospect since Quinn Hughes

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
I don’t get how Foudy, a 1st rounder who has shown flashes in the NHL, is not top 50.

Lack of seeing for Marchenko. My small view of him was not convincing enough to put him here..
I like the Big body with amazing type of package in his highlight but i need to watch him more

I don't think Liam Foudy have top 6 potential. Very good third center with high pace game and intensity. Capable of playing lot of minute but I don't think he will end up with great offensive number. You can't argue that Joe Veleno or Ryan Poehling it's that type of prospect too, I will agree with you but I like these player since long time. I think Joe Veleno had a better hockey sense than Foudy, but he had to be more confident and able to make the right play at the right time to SCORING goal.

Poehling had a very very difficult year, but with my experience, it's a error to change your view after one bad year. I still love his positioning in the game, the way he can protect the puck and I tought it's skating will turned out OK(That's not the case for now)

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Last thing...

I watch the player play. I do projection.

If a player had a bad year...So what? Don't make judgement too early, don't change your opinion too early.

Yeah Laf is designate to be the best play of his draft class since 2-3 year. But that it not important for now

In 3 year, who will be the better player? How is his skating? is his push in the right place? how is his posture? Can he skate in third period like he skate in the first? Can he use punch? Can he use Backward skating? Can he use outside punch? Can he use edging? Can he use crossover? Can he create speed in tight area? Can he make some combo of full type of skating?

His shot. How he score his goal? He change his angle or not? Is understand the movement of the goalie? Do he shoot with his stick flex or with his wrist?

The most important THING : HOW HE TAKE INFO? How he can read and react. Do he know where the space is? Is head watching where? The inside head, the puck, in front? Where????

Thats why I love prospect like Quinn Hughes. Because he understands the small subtlety of skating, how he can create space where I want to go. He can manipulate the guy in front of him with his skating and how he understand the game

That why I love Cole Caufield. Because he know how the goalie work. He know the space, he understand the angle of the game. He understand that if he change leg for shooting, the goalie will have to adjust for the opposite shot, so I know that if he wait enough, he will create a big hole on the first post.

Why I love Barrett Hayton? Because he always loaded with the puck. ALWAYS. He know that he is a threat when he has the puck because he is ready to shoot or pass the puck. He freeze the play

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
So don't come here to talk to me about stats or where I supposed to rank him because he had a great month in his league.

Come here to say why you love this player of this player. Talk to me about how he act on the ice, if he a plan when he shoot at the net, of if he use combo when he is skating etc etc etc

My list is nos ACCURATE. 100%. But I want fact and observation if you want to discuss about my choice.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Of course im biased, just like you are probably biased towards the wings prospects. However I have read a lot of prospect guys and scouts on this kind of stuff and all seem to agree that Merkley has worked on his flaws and gotten better while remaining one of the most offensively gifted prospects out there. Not saying hes number 1, but he is not miles behind a guy like Broberg.
Merkley has twice the talent Broberg has.....

Reactions: themelkman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad