Top 5 players in the 2000s decade

Who are your top 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
do you really not comprehend how playing 18 more (goalie) games than another is more valuable/impressive towards Vezina votes?

You actually think Turco maintains his SV% if he plays 73 games?
Who knows, he may or may not, probably not though. But maybe playing 18 less games could’ve boosted Brodeurs stats as he would’ve been more rested. But just generally playing more games doesn’t make you a better goalie.

I mean Brodeur is clearly the better goalie, you won’t hear me argue otherwise. But I think GP in this scenario isn’t a great argument.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Who knows, he may or may not, probably not though. But maybe playing 18 less games could’ve boosted Brodeurs stats as he would’ve been more rested. But just generally playing more games doesn’t make you a better goalie.

I mean Brodeur is clearly the better goalie, you won’t hear me argue otherwise. But I think GP in this scenario isn’t a great argument.
when it comes to voting for the Vezina, I guarantee GP is part of the equation, as it clearly was in 03. maybe not if theyre only 5-10 games apart, but 18 is significant.

Reactions: ricky0034

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
when it comes to voting for the Vezina, I guarantee GP is part of the equation, as it clearly was in 03. maybe not if theyre only 5-10 games apart, but 18 is significant.
I mean GP definitely matters, like obviously some dude who played 5 games with a 1.98 and a .930 won’t get any votes. But both were bona fide starters and one had significantly better stats. Brodeur playing 18 more games shouldn’t offset that.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I feel like Lidstrom, Pronger and Thornton are shoo-ins.

Took Crosby and Ovechkin after that.

Felt terrible leaving Sakic and Jagr.

And still hurts to not pick Geno.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Pronger has no argument at being over Lidstrom.

I don't know dude. Lidstrom won 6 Norris trophies that decade, Pronger won 1.

Pronger02.jpg

Lidstrom produced more and was on better teams, but Prongs is the most dominant Dman since Orr.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
1. Datsyuk
2. Ovechkin
3. Crosby
4. Luongo
5. Thornton

Last edited:

Selyanin

#StammerTime
May 2, 2014
The North
The Red Wings in this era were essentially Lidstrom on D. There is literally no argument for Pronger over Lidstrom.
He just gave you his argument that Pronger won the hart. Considering you have Crosby over Iginla for one hart you should propably consider that a pretty good argument.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He just gave you his argument that Pronger won the hart. Considering you have Crosby over Iginla for one hart you should propably consider that a pretty good argument.

Crosby over Iginla is much different than a player having 6 best defenseman trophies to 1.

Plus you can’t include Pronger’s Flyers run in this sample. So Lidstrom is much more dominate playoff wise too.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Best D = Pronger, close second Lidstrom, obviously
Best G = Brodeur

Top 3 forwards = Joe, Sid, Ovi,

Even with his memorable playoff run in 2006, I really don't see the argument for Pronger over Lidstrom. Aside from his win in 2000 he only had 2 other seasons where he was nominated. Sure he also took home the Hart but he won by a hair and probably doesn't win if Jagr plays a full season.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Lidstrom, Pronger, Thornton, Brodeur and somebody else.

I don't agree with lists putting Crosby or Ovechkin on this list. But then again, I think that trophy counting is silly and that seems to be the only argument in favour of doing it. At that point, you might as well just pick a Jagr or a Sakic because they produced nearly as much in twice as many games as Crosby in a much more difficult period to put up points.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
In 2003 and 2007? yes. Career wise? Well obviously not.

Luongo was pretty clearly better than Brodeur in 2004 as well. But the Panthers didn't make the playoffs, so Luongo didn't get nearly as much consideration for the Vezina trophy as he deserved. He was easily the most valuable goalie in the NHL that year.

(Before someone says "How could he have been that valuable if his team didn't make the playoffs?", looking at how many goals the Panthers scored and how many shots they allowed, no goalie in NHL history could have dragged that team to the postseason. The goalie would have to average a save percentage in the low-to-mid 940's over 72 games to bring that team to the 8th spot - something no goalie has ever approached).

All that being said - I also voted for Brodeur in the top five.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad