Top 5 players in the 2000s decade

Who are your top 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Lidstrom and Brodeur are my only two locks, then I went with Pronger, Crosby and Ovechkin. Neidermayer, Datsyuk, Forsberg and Thornton and Jagr would probably be my top-10

Reactions: slapKing

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Not to mention Iginla with more than Jagr!

Jagr had two great seasons in the entire decade, one of which he sulked for half the year before Lemieux returned. He dogged it in Washington and left before the decade was done. Iginla has more awards, better award finishes, better totals, and the best playoff run, and his per game numbers aren't that far off.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Jagr had two great seasons in the entire decade, one of which he sulked for half the year before Lemieux returned. He dogged it in Washington and left before the decade was done. Iginla has more awards, better award finishes, better totals, and the best playoff run, and his per game numbers aren't that far off.

Yeah I don't get why people are voting for Jagr.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
For simplicity I’m going to ignore goalies and say Crosby, Ovechkin, Iginla, Thornton and Lidstrom. With Lidstrom being head and shoulders above anyone else.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
I wanna win? Ovi/Crosby/Pronger/Brodeur/Lidstrom in no order but its awkward with the first two not playing half the decade.

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
For the op, like to give my thoughts as well.

I voted for Brodeur, Lidstrom, Iginla, Thornton, and Ovechkin. Lidstrom and Brodeur because they were elite for both halves of the decade. Thornton and Iginla had their share of hardware, and both solid both halves. Also the top 2 scores this decade.

Of the guys who had only 1 great half decade, I decided to go with ovie. Young Ovie back in the day was an absolute monster.

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
Also, this is just my opinion. Everyone has different opinions. It's great because people having the same opinions can be boring. but the fact that Lidstrom doesn't have at least a near 100 consensus is startling. This man was the player of the decade, and I think most agree with me there. Lidstrom didn't have the highest peak, but a solid high peak nonetheless. His prime/consistency was legendary. He was successful both individual and team wise in both halves of the decade.

as far as I'm concerned, he should have at least 90% of the votes.

my 2 cents though.

Reactions: trentmccleary

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
You have to have Lidstrom, Brodeur, Thornton and Pronger imo. They are locks. They were all completely dominant for the entire decade and had their best years in that period.

Sakic, Forsberg, Jagr miss because their truly best years were before the decade started.

St. Louis had a great peak but not good enough the entire decade when you stack him up against others. Same with Kovy, Dats, and Zets.

Malkin, Crosby, OV are out as they just didn’t play enough but OV would be the closest.

To me the last spot came down to Alf and Iggy. This decade was essentially the peaks of their careers and they were both excellent in this stretch. I went Iggy but it’s honestly a toss up. I think Alfredsson is criminally underrated in general.

Heater, Nieds, and Luongo are all right there too

Last edited:

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Good to see Iginla getting at least a little bit of love. Scored with the best of them and was one of the toughest, most intense star players throughout the decade. Never had a #1 centre to play with until his last couple of years.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Thornton: Comfortable margin on points over the decade - 80 more than Iginla. Hart, Art Ross.

Iginla: Comfortable margin on goals (40) plus he was second in points. Pearson, Richard, Ross.

Lidstrom: 6 Norris trophies

Ovechkin: Calder, 2 Harts, 2 Pearsons, Art Ross, 2 Rockets. Highest GPG by a pretty good margin. Highest primary PPG. 2nd only to Crosby (by .03) in PPG. Significant lead in playoff PPG (1.43 vs 1.29 for Crosby). Huge lead in playoff GPG (.71 vs .49 for 2nd place).

Brodeur: 4 Vezinas

This is actually a pretty clear cut 5 top players. Others had 1 MVP or one nice year but it's hard to justify any of them. hm to Jagr.

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
BTW these "best of the decade" accolades are extremely arbitrary. It puts a huge bias towards players who entered the NHL or entered their prime in an 00 or 01 season over guys who did so in an 06 or 05 season. We're basically punishing or crediting players for when they were born, which is dumb.

Reactions: sanscosm

Jorma Heart

Sep 5, 2009
Luongo
Thornton
Lidström
Iginla
Pronger

those new generation wussies didn't play first half of the decade so I automatically cut them off. Also Luongo > Brodeur

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
How the f*** do Crosby and Ovechkin have nearly twice as many votes as Thornton and Brodeur, when they only played half the decade...

Lidstrom, Thornton, and Marty are the locks, here. The rest is a crapshoot because Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin/Datsyuk are obviously great, but only played half the decade, (Datsyuk played more but at a reduced role) while Iginla, Pronger, St. Louis, etc. played the full decade.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
BTW these "best of the decade" accolades are extremely arbitrary. It puts a huge bias towards players who entered the NHL or entered their prime in an 00 or 01 season over guys who did so in an 06 or 05 season. We're basically punishing or crediting players for when they were born, which is dumb.

By this logic, Lidstrom is one of the best players in the 2010s... After all, he played 2 seasons, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00