Top 5 players in the 2000s decade

Who are your top 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Just my opinion but poll would have been better with 6 forwards, 4 D-men and 1 goalie

Jagr - Thornton - Iginla
Kovalchuk - Sakic - Alfredsson

Lidstrom - Gonchar
Pronger - Niedermayer

Brodeur

I should have said 6 D-men as I want to have Zubov in there
HM for goalies : Luongo, Vokoun, Giguere

Last edited:
Reactions: slapKing

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Probably. I tried to be a little lean on who to put in, but looking at the results, a few names probably should have not been included.

I meant if you asked to vote for 6 forwards, 4 D-men and 1 goalie

Shouldn't have included players with significantly less games played too

It's constructive criticism!

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
I don't get why Crosby and Ovechkin shouldn't be eligible in the top 5 players of the 2000's ? They played 4 seasons, which is roughly half the decade. They racked up well enough hardware in that short amount of time (compare to their peers) to earn a spot. It's like saying Lemieux shouldn't be in the top 5 player of the 90's because he only played 339 games, the equivalent of 4 full seasons.

1. Lidstrom
2. Brodeur
3. Ovechkin
4. Crosby
5. Thornton

Reactions: slapKing

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
He won 1 Stanley Cup during that time.

& two of the Vezinas are debatable; he arguably wasn't the best goalie in 2003 or 2007.
03 he won quite easily over Turco (131-59), and was 3rd in Hart voting, so Im not sure about your argument there.... 07 he won by a hair over Lu. So whether he was 1st or 2nd, he was still dominant that decade.

Vezina voting 2001-10: 1,1,1,1,2,3,3,5 ... no one came remotely close.

and as per the OP,

Hmm, I guess for me anyway, it would be 1999/2000 (because 2nd half of season + playoffs was in the 2000 year) to 2008/2009.

Edit: but I when I meant the 2000s, I meant strictly the decade from Jan. 1st 2000 to Dec 31st 2009.

so thats 2 Cups.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
03 he won quite easily over Turco (131-59), and was 3rd in Hart voting, so Im not sure about your argument there.... 07 he won by a hair over Lu. So whether he was 1st or 2nd, he was still dominant that decade.

Vezina voting 2001-10: 1,1,1,1,2,3,3,5 ... no one came remotely close.

and as per the OP,

so thats 2 Cups.

Turco and Luongo were better.

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008
At a first glance it looks like there are about 10 ”locks” to that list.

Lidstrom, Crosby, OV, Brodeur, Malkin, Forsberg, Pronger, Jagr,..

Pretty hard cut to make...

Forsberg, Crosby, OV, Malkin, Pronger would be my choice.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
How is Chara not getting votes? I'm not saying he should be top 5, but 7 seems low

I mean if you don't think he's top 5 either, why should he be getting any really? I think some people might be forgetting his time with the Sens a bit, but even still, he had a slower start to the decade, so guys like Thornton and Iginla had both fuller decades and higher peaks and guys like Ovechkin and Crosby have the even higher peaks.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Look at the stats... Turco was better (and didn't have the Norris winner playing in front of him).

Rinne and Vasi both played less than 60 GP when they won.
When Rinne and Vasi won, no one else played 73 games or had the equivalent of having won 41 games (no SO wins in 03). The voting wasnt close for a reason, probably knowing Tippett was playing the trap and Turco's stats were inflated. Similar to Lehner 2 seasons ago amongst others.

whatever the case, point is that he was the most dominant goalie for the whole decade, and no one came close. Diminish his accomplishments all you want.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Ahh yes because GP is a great metric to base who is a better player.

It's harder to maintain numbers as a goalie when you're playing every night because if you hit a rough patch or get overly fatigued, you're not getting the time off to rest and work out some kinks in your game. It's one of the reasons we're seeing fewer and fewer workhorse goalies these days as the backups have become much better to the point a worn out starter isn't a better option for the most part. Turco's numbers dropped significantly the following year as he played over 70 games himself.

There's also value in playing more games at a high level compared to whoever your replacement would be. It's not like Crosby got the Lindsay in 2011 despite him clearly being the best per game player. That's not getting into the flaws in straight goalie stats without looking at shot quality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad