Top 5 players in the 2000s decade

Who are your top 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
The 2000s is a weird decade. You kind of have a group of players in the first half of the decade, and a group in the 2nd half, and very few who were good in both halves. It's interesting because there are many guys who you can make the argument for being top 5. A perfect case of what you value more, peak or longevity.

Vote for who you think were the best five in that decade. Players are listed by last name.

Edit: Heatley added.

Last edited:
Reactions: SotasicA

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
The 2000s is a weird decade. You kind of have a group of players in the first half of the decade, and a group in the 2nd half, and very few who were good in both halves. It's interesting because there are many guys who you can make the argument for being top 5. A perfect case of what you value more, peak or longevity.

Vote for who you think were the best five in that decade. Players are listed by last name.

I tried to go for guys who were solid throughout, but you are right, lots of transition in this decade.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Thornton, Iginla, Scott Niedermayer and Marty Brodeur.

Heatley was a beast, too. He isn't even nominated. I went with Hossa instead.

Reactions: slapKing

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Just a reminder to all that Brodeur won 4 VEZINAS between 02-08, not to mention 2 Cups.

Vezina voting 2001-10: 1,1,1,1,2,3,3,5 ... no one came remotely close.

Should be a lock for this poll.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Edit: Heatley added.

Exactly which years are you talking about because it does make a slight difference.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
This is hard..... Thornton and Lidstrom are locks to me. Two of the top players who had top years across the entire decade. Jagr was a top player through the whole decade also, but missed a few years. He would be an easy lock like the first two if he hadn't decided to get a little homesick, but he only missed two years so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

The last two spots are tricky to me. Ovechkin and Crosby had the best seasons of all players. Ovechkin was a little better for a few years there, but then Crosby took over. But they only played half the decade. Then you have Datsyuk, who wasn't far behind, and he played more. I think it's some combo of 2 of those 3. In the end I left off Datsyuk, because as much as he played the extra few years prior to the lockout year, they weren't the Datsyuk you think of, they were a lesser version of him. Had he played in those few years before the lockout like the player he became after, I might take one of OV or Crosby off. I don't know which, they're close.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Sid
Ovi
Lidstrom
Brodeur... 4 Vezinas, people
Thornton
Didn't even notice Brodeur.. I don't know, that's hard to say, I almost don't think he should be mixed in a poll with skaters. He isn't out of place, that's for sure, if you include goalies.

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
they want a season start and end

ie 99/00 or 2000/01 to start the decade

Hmm, I guess for me anyway, it would be 1999/2000 (because 2nd half of season + playoffs was in the 2000 year) to 2008/2009.

Edit: but I when I meant the 2000s, I meant strictly the decade from Jan. 1st 2000 to Dec 31st 2009.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad