Top 5 centers in the NHL?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hey remember that bet you made where you thought it was inconceivable that 6 Leafs would score over 50 points?

Still haven't paid up for that one eh?

For like the fiftieth time, Dopefish knows what's up and is fully on board with what's up.

I also like how your post had zero to do with what I said. I think there's a word for that. Starts with a 'T'.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Sidney Crosby?

Matthews has no business being mentioned in this thread. He's not better than any of Getzlaf, Bergeron, Toews, Seguin, McDavid, Barkov, Kopitar, Tavares, Crosby, Malkin, Scheifele or Backstrom.

While I would call placing Matthews as a top 5 center in the NHL right now premature, I would also say there are a few debatables on that list you posted.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Are you trying to call Guentzel "Hyman-level"? Or Sheary?

"What other center played with rookies or Hyman-level players?"

Important part you missed.

Yet matthews was the 11th in Hart voting and the 4th highest centre in that category and one of only two centres to hit 40 goals....
I dont have Matthews in the top 5 but its not outlandish to say he is.

And that's completely irrelevant because he's not better than the guys I listed.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
"What other center played with rookies or Hyman-level players?"

Important part you missed.

And that's completely irrelevant because he's not better than the guys I listed.

Well that's highly subjective....i mean it must be nice thinking your always right even when your not :laugh::laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well that's highly subjective....i mean it must be nice thinking your always right even when your not :laugh::laugh:

Well Matthews was behind all of McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos (forgot him on my list), Malkin, Backstrom, Schiefele, Getzlaf, Eichel (he's on Matthews' level), Seguin, Tavares and Barkov in PPG.

Yeah, I'd say Matthews is closer to the 20th best center than the 5th best center. Unless you think Eichel has a serious case over any of the guys I listed above, Matthews doesn't have a case here. 1-3 are obvious with Crosby, Malkin and McDavid (not in order). What argument does Matthews have over say Getzlaf to be in one of those 2 spots? What about Barkov? What about Backstrom? Seguin? Schiefele?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Matthews was 11th in hart voting and the 4th centre in Hart voting. Pretty sure that give him just as much right as any other centre for being top 5

And the people who voted for him could easily have been Leafs homers. If your argument for Matthews being there is getting like 3 votes for the Hart, you don't have a real argument for Matthews being there.

I mean, Malkin had 3 more points while playing in 20 less games than Matthews did last season, yet Matthews still got more votes for the all-star team than Malkin did. Malkin finished last year with a 44 goal and 95 point pace, which is 4 goals and 26 points better than Matthews, yet Matthews still got more votes for the all-star team.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
not really its not like it was a one-off vote, people legitimately think he was a really good player and you could argue that he should have placed higher too.

They do but there's so much more that goes into the Hart than just best player especially down the list like that. He helped turn the Leafs around from a bottom feeder which is part of the value. And he also played every game. He had more Hart votes than Malkin because Malkin was hurt and Sid was the most valuable on the Pens. But Malkin is clearly the better player.

I'd point to his 5th place finish in All Star center voting as bigger proof, but again, he finished above an injured Malkin, as well as an injured Getzlaf who both produced at better clips and then went off in the playoffs. The thing is being 5th in your only season makes it hard to put him above guys who've finished much higher in recent years and are still in their primes. It's not ridiculous to have him there but it seems really premature. He's in a pack of 8-10 guys after the top 3 but usually a young payer needs to distinguish himself to be put up high that quickly

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
And the people who voted for him could easily have been Leafs homers. If your argument for Matthews being there is getting like 3 votes for the Hart, you don't have a real argument for Matthews being there.

I mean, Malkin had 3 more points while playing in 20 less games than Matthews did last season, yet Matthews still got more votes for the all-star team than Malkin did.

How about 40 goals and leading the league in even strength goals? Is that a good enough argument?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
How about 40 goals and leading the league in even strength goals? Is that a good enough argument?

Not really, considering Matthews getting 7-10 more goals than another center doesn't compensate for him getting outscored by 10+ points by a lot of guys or going up against guys with a longer track record of success.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Not really, considering Matthews getting 7-10 more goals than another center doesn't compensate for him getting outscored by 10+ points by a lot of guys or going up against guys with a longer track record of success.

Gotta have those secondary assists to be a top of the line centre :handclap:

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Matthews was 11th in hart voting and the 4th centre in Hart voting. Pretty sure that give him just as much right as any other centre for being top 5

Leafs fans are in their prime right now. First Matthews>McDavid and now this??

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Gotta have those secondary assists to be a top line centre :handclap:

I get it, you're a Leafs fan. You're going to try to justify it any way you can because you like the Leafs. But let's be honest, you know this is a crap argument. Like come on. This is obviously not what I said, you're just creating strawman BS because you know you don't have a legitimate argument here.

If secondary assists were so easy to get, why did Matthews only have 29 assists last year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad