Top 5 centers in the NHL?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It's hilarious that there is somebody arguing that Matthews' pity Hart votes are an argument in his favor. They're completely irrelevant. How desperate can you be.

You could be desperate enough to call them irrelevant pity votes even though you have no clue who voted for him or why. There are more logical arguments for why the 11th place hart finalist can still not be a top 5 center

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
You could be desperate enough to call them irrelevant pity votes even though you have no clue who voted for him or why. There are more logical arguments for why the 11th place hart finalist can still not be a top 5 center

It's just a pretty random appeal to authority. 7 writers thought that he somewhere between the 3rd to 5th most valuable (not best) player in the league. 8 of those same writers thought Jared Spurgeon was the 3rd-5th best defenseman in the league last year. Is that an adequate argument for him as a top 5 defenseman?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It's just a pretty random appeal to authority. 7 writers thought that he somewhere between the 3rd to 5th most valuable (not best) player in the league. 8 of those same writers thought Jared Spurgeon was the 3rd-5th best defenseman in the league last year. Is that an adequate argument for him as a top 5 defenseman?
No. That doesn't make his 5th place hart votes solely out of pity and bias though. Maybe it means that the league's best ES goal scorer helped the 8th place team sneak into the playoffs and that's value to some people. I think that's pretty fair to say that and still not consider him a top 5 center. Don't you?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
No. That doesn't make his 5th place hart votes solely out of pity and bias though. Maybe it means that the league's best ES goal scorer helped the 8th place team sneak into the playoffs and that's value to some people. I think that's pretty fair to say that and still not consider him a top 5 center. Don't you?

No, I wouldn't say pity or necessarily bias. There's a decent argument for his value being higher than other players due to the Leafs turnaround. I think it's tough to make a good case for him in the Top 5 of a Hart ballot though, so it's probably fair to question why he'd be on there. I do think some writers put players they don't necessarily believe are the best but deserve some nod to their great seasons, knowing that the other writers will still take the most deserving. It's hard to justify the Spurgeon type votes otherwise.

Alivesi

Feb 1, 2012
Ontario
No, I wouldn't say pity or necessarily bias. There's a decent argument for his value being higher than other players due to the Leafs turnaround. I think it's tough to make a good case for him in the Top 5 of a Hart ballot though, so it's probably fair to question why he'd be on there. I do think some writers put players they don't necessarily believe are the best but deserve some nod to their great seasons, knowing that the other writers will still take the most deserving. It's hard to justify the Spurgeon type votes otherwise.

You mean, you don't think Marchand deserved a #1 vote for the Hart this year?! For shame :shakehead

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
You mean, you don't think Marchand deserved a #1 vote for the Hart this year?! For shame :shakehead

Sarcasm aside, the real question is if the writer who gave that vote actually believed he was #1. I'm really not sure that's the case

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I can't believe I'm seeing so much Stamkos in here. His goals (or at least goals per game due to injuries) are money, but he's such a flawed player outside of that compared to a lot of other top centers.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
I can't believe I'm seeing so much Stamkos in here. His goals (or at least goals per game due to injuries) are money, but he's such a flawed player outside of that compared to a lot of other top centers.

its not surprising. if you sort last years center he's right near the top in PPG. thats as simply as most of these lists are

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Hey, Matthews band-wagoners...
He will be a top 5 center in the NHL, maybe in 2 years or so, but statistically he is no where near that yet.

The only statistic where he placed in the top 5 was goals.

In Points per game played he ranked 13th.
In Assists he ranked 49th.
In Plus/Minus he ranked 60th.

If you were to be making a list of the 5 centers with the highest potential ceiling he would be #2 for me behind only McDavid(It's scary how much better this kid may get)

Why are you using plus/minus to support an argument?

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Crosby
Malkin
Mcdavid
Getzlaf
Backstrom

This.

GTFO of here with this Matthews stuff. God this is gonna be a fun year.

I also love how the people who put Matthews in the top five then make a hm with five to seven guys and forget Eichel who finished eleventh in points per game among forwards st the age of 20 coming off ankle surgery.

Literally bafffes me....that's 11th on PPG among forwards not just centres.....but he isn't a runner up but somehow Matthews who played one year and got 69 pts is somehow a lock in some people's top four or five.

JOKE

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
This.

GTFO of here with this Matthews stuff. God this is gonna be a fun year.

I also love how the people who put Matthews in the top five then make a hm with five to seven guys and forget Eichel who finished eleventh in points per game among forwards st the age of 20 coming off ankle surgery.

Literally bafffes me....that's 11th on PPG among forwards not just centres.....but he isn't a runner up but somehow Matthews who played one year and got 69 pts is somehow a lock in some people's top four or five.

JOKE
It will be a fun year, but probably not for the same reasons you're expecting

Matthews is not a top 5 center for his year last year, but I wouldn't be shocked if he is in the conversation as soon as next year. Eichel not so much

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
if you had to choose the 5 best centers in the NHL who would it be?

1. crosby
2. mcdavid
3. tavares
4. malkin
5. toews

yep thats in order
Tavares above Malkin??/

yep thats bad

Crosby
McDavid
Malkin
Backstrom
Getzlaf

HM - Seguin, Carter, Matthews, Tavares, Pavelski

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007

Matthews is not a top 5 center for his year last year, but I wouldn't be shocked if he is in the conversation as soon as next year. Eichel not so much

why? Eichel and Matthews are in the same tier and are very comparable. don't be ignorant.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Now that's a shock. Eichel will have a better career than Matthews, book it.

Yeah shocking that I take the guy who is probably going to lap Eichel in goals already next year and outscored his rookie season by 14 points

I said Eichel will be on the same tier in the long run, but obviously that's just homer bias talking since eichel is guaranteed to be better

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
if you had to choose the 5 best centers in the NHL who would it be?

1. crosby
2. mcdavid
3. tavares
4. malkin
5. toews

yep thats in order

Neither Tavares nor Toews belong on this list. Getzlaf should definitely be on. Maybe Scheifele and Draisaitl too. After Crosby, Malkin and MacDavid, there is not much to choose between a whole bunch of players (Tavares, Seguin, Stamkos, Johansen, Backstrom, Mathews, Carter are all in the same tier as Draisaitl, Getzlaf, Scheifele). Toews at this point is probably one tier below.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Mother****ers act like they forgot about Kopitar. The guy has a bad season on a pretty crappy team and he's not even an honorable mention? He won the Selke last year. He'll be back next year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Eichel is better than Matthews right now, so why would it be crazy for Eichel to be in the conversation next year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad