Prospect Info: Top 20 DRW Prospect (Including 2020 Draft)

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I really don't consider Zadina, Cholo, Svech, or Smith "prospects" anymore.

Hell, I have a hard time seeing anyone who's played 2 seasons of "pro" hockey as a prospect, irrespective of the league, but especially considering the AHL. Example: Cholo has played over a season's worth of NHL games, so can he really be a "prospect" as much as a "player under 25?"

Fun side-note: He played for Chilliwack, just like another draft darling. :naughty:
Raymond is no longer prospect? It's been 3rd season so far as a pro. Seider same

Lap0f

Apr 21, 2019
Don't know about the Pietrangelo or Hedman comparables for Seider as that might be a bit too high although you won't hear me complain if he ends up developing up to that point ;)

I think a good comparision would be a mix of Seth Jones and Colton Parayko with a mean streak.
He'll play big minutes in all situations and get 35-40 points most years and might hit 50 once or twice.

All in all, for me he definitely projects as a #1 or #2.

Reactions: Pavels Dog

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Don't know about the Pietrangelo or Hedman comparables for Seider as that might be a bit too high although you won't hear me complain if he ends up developing up to that point ;)

I think a good comparision would be a mix of Seth Jones and Colton Parayko with a mean streak.
He'll play big minutes in all situations and get 35-40 points most years and might hit 50 once or twice.

All in all, for me he definitely projects as a #1 or #2.

Agreed,

Though to me his comparable for best case is Ryan Suter

Strong, hits, plays 28mins a game in all situations, not flashy but gets the job done, flirts with 50pts once or twice but is more of a reliable 35-40pt dman

Reactions: Lap0f

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If we still consider sending Cholowski to AHL, more than icing in NHL, then he is not NHL regular. He is that middle-ground guy, a "developing project". Not a prospect, but not NHL regular either.

We need term to describe these kind of guys. Rasmussen is same thing. He could be NHL regular very soon, but we don't know yet.

A) NHL regular
B) ??? (not NHL regular) (not a prospect)
C) prospect

When we start doing another poll, I'd suggest something like a max of four years out from their draft date and less than 40 games played in the NHL in one season, or a combined 80 games in two seasons. So, Rasmussen would be out because he played more than 40 games in one season. Cholowski would be out because he's played more than 40 games in one season and 80 games in two seasons combined. Zadina, however, still a prospect. Also, no one from the 2015 draft would still be eligible regardless of games played (and this is the last year for 2016).

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Raymond is no longer prospect? It's been 3rd season so far as a pro. Seider same

I suppose I should have clarified that with "two professional seasons post-draft," because I absolutely see your point.

So basically, anyone going into playing their third pro season post-draft is where I start to get a little fuzzy on the whole "prospect" title.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Reactions: Realgud

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Agreed,

Though to me his comparable for best case is Ryan Suter

Strong, hits, plays 28mins a game in all situations, not flashy but gets the job done, flirts with 50pts once or twice but is more of a reliable 35-40pt dman

Suter doesnt hit though, if anything he plays the closest to Lidstrom as anyone in the league right now. Just really strong defensively with his positioning and stick. I think impact wise and statistically Suter might be a good comparison but Seider is much more physical

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Suter doesnt hit though, if anything he plays the closest to Lidstrom as anyone in the league right now. Just really strong defensively with his positioning and stick. I think impact wise and statistically Suter might be a good comparison but Seider is much more physical

Suter played the body a fair bit as a young player from what I recall

But you're right today he is more positional

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
These future kids are gonna be better than their past comparisons.

Better than Öhlund (Seider) in skill and point-scoring, more physical than Suter.

More of Victor Hedman with lesser shot, but could not be the best of his generation, because some other kids could be revolutionary better.

I think his nearest comparison for Seider is Vladimir Konstantinov. He had a weak shot, but was tough as nails, made those punishing checks and could log huge mites as a great skater. Great passing too. Always involved in scrums. Skilled pain-in-the ass shut-down defenceman. Nightmare for opposite team.

Most selling Red Wings jersey on the next decade.

Last edited:

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
These future kids are gonna be better than their past comparisons.

Better than Öhlund (Seider) in skill and point-scoring, more physical than Suter.

More of Victor Hedman with lesser shot, but could not be the best of his generation, because some other kids could be revolutionary better.

I think his nearest comparison for Seider is Vladimir Konstantinov. He had a weak shot, but was tough as nails, made those punishing checks and could log huge mites as a great skater. Great passing too. Always involved in scrums. Skilled pain-in-the ass shut-down defenceman. Nightmare for opposite team.

Most selling Red Wings jersey on the next decade.
Konstantinov didn’t have Seider’s size.

I’m pretty sure Ohlund projected to be more offensive-minded than he ended up being after the eye injury.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Eww.

Don't you bring that evil in here.

There was a time in NHL, when it had Chris Pronger, Scott Stevens, Derian Hatcher, Chris Chelios and Vladimir Konstantinov as the mean bastards of the defensive end.

Moritz has someting from the old days on his style of play. It seems that it just comes naturally from him. He is always there punishing guys, going in-your-face. Loved that thing how he went after Kirby Dach at Traverse City. Or that hitting in AHL against AHL-vets as a teenager.

I want Seider to to very very mean and evil... against the opposite players. Seems to be, like no other team has this kind of player on their prospects. Skill guy with a mean element. Usually they are crap 3rd pair guys like Gudas. Maybe Ristolainen is something same, but not that much. Seider can go 25 minutes in a battle, like this old days mean bastards to play against.

Mortiz Seider could be on his own kind, when the new era, his era, will start.

Most loved player in Detroit for a while. He'll pull the Pizza house 100% full, when the era will start.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
There was a time in NHL, when it had Chris Pronger, Scott Stevens, Derian Hatcher, Chris Chelios and Vladimir Konstantinov as the mean bastards of the defensive end.

Moritz has someting from the old days on his style of play. It seems that it just comes naturally from him. He is always there punishing guys, going in-your-face. Loved that thing how he went after Kirby Dach at Traverse City. Or that hitting in AHL against AHL-vets as a teenager.

I want Seider to to very very mean and evil... against the opposite players. Seems to be, like no other team has this kind of player on their prospects. Skill guy with a mean element. Usually they are crap 3rd pair guys like Gudas. Maybe Ristolainen is something same, but not that much. Seider can go 25 minutes in a battle, like this old days mean bastards to play against.

Mortiz Seider could be on his own kind, when the new era, his era, will start.

Most loved player in Detroit for a while. He'll pull the Pizza house 100% full, when the era will start.

The Hatchers were mean, but were completely overrated both offensively and defensively. Kevin was a liability in his own zone throughout his career, and Derian did more water skiing during the DPE than almost anyone I remember watching during that time.

I think Mo will be better than either of them overall. Not as good offensively as Kevin statistically (It's hard to beat those late 80s and early 90s numbers) but overall better defensively than Derian while still having that physical edge.

Like I said in a previous post, I believe that Seider at minimum is going to be a Mattias Ohlund caliber defenseman, who was also a big, mean bastard and a top 15-20 defenseman in the league in his prime. I'd have taken Ohlund on my team over either Hatcher brother any day of the week.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
It's amazing how much more skilled and swedish our prospect pool has gotten in just two years

I love it

I like it as well, but I also think it's a byproduct of Yzerman relying on Hakan more than the Tyler Wright era people. Since 2018 there's been a notable difference in the team's drafting philosophy from previous years. Yzerman is looking to hit a homerun with every one of his early picks, going for the high skill guys rather than the, "Has grit and character" guys that Holland preferred to mine for.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Eww.

Don't you bring that evil in here.

Lol.

Yeah it would be horrible if the wings had a guy who was good enough to captain a cup winning team, wear a letter in the NHL for 12 seasons, play in the olympics and be one of the meanest players in the game. If he has a similar impact to either Hatcher brother the wings would be ecstatic.

The Hatcher brothers have 5 top 7 norris finishes between them and you dont think that would be good for Seider lol? Come on

Reactions: Winger98

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Excited to track these players this year, I think it will give us a much better idea of how to rank them all.

Is college hockey looking like a full go? We have quite a few players slated to play there this year.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
im really not understanding how people are placing veleno below rasmussen.

potential top 6 guy versus a bottom 6 big man. veleno has shown nothing but improvements since being drafted while IMO ras hasnt and actually has continued to show hes injury prone.

to each their own.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
im really not understanding how people are placing veleno below rasmussen.

potential top 6 guy versus a bottom 6 big man. veleno has shown nothing but improvements since being drafted while IMO ras hasnt and actually has continued to show hes injury prone.

to each their own.

Ras was better than Veleno playing for the same team last year. Veleno played the same position, but behind Ras on the depth chart last year.

You are playing favorites.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Ras was better than Veleno playing for the same team last year. Veleno played the same position, but behind Ras on the depth chart last year.

You are playing favorites.

no im really not. im playing the fact that id personally rank veleno ahead of ras because i think veleno has a better chance at being an impact player in the NHL while Ras doesnt.

i personally see veleno as a middle 6 5on5 or a top 6 guy in temrs of ice time while i dont see ras as much more then a brian boyle clone. sorry if you disagree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad