Prospect Info: Top 20 DRW Prospect (Including 2020 Draft)

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
How do you guys rank the Wings top 20 prospect after the 2020 draft? Ras, Zadina, Cholo, and Lindstrom can still be considered prospect for this. Normally I'd take out Cholo, but he is definitely not assured a spot at this point. I'm considering Svech graduated due to age and situation, and I consider Brome a transfer.

Mine
1. Mo Seider
2. Lucas Raymond
3. Filip Zadina
4. Jonatan Berggren
5. Michael Rasmussem
6. Joseph Veleno
7. Theodor Niederbach
8. William Wallinder
9. Albert Johansson
10. Jared McIsaac
11. Dennis Cholowski
12. Gustav Lindstrom
13. Antti Tuomisto
14. Elmer Soderblom
15. Robert Mastrosimone
16. Kiril Tyutyayev
17. Otto Kivenmaki
18. Patrik Holway
19. Albin Grewe
20. Filip Larsson

Mine is based on a mix of potential and likely hood to make the NHL. Mo has done nothing but consistently prove that he has #1 potential and that outweighs an elite winger to me in Raymond. Raymond could surpass him sometime soon, but right now I think the #1 prospect ball is in Mo's court.

Zadina and Berggren have fantastic potential. I think they have top 6 winger written all over them, but maybe no potential star like Raymond does. Ras is almost an NHL lock, just don't know if it will be top or bottom 6. He will be a pain to play against, and I think a valuable part of the team. He might not live up to his draft spot, but we'll see. Big guys take longer to develop.

The next group in Veleno, Niederbach, Wallinder, Johansson all have great potential but also solid bust potential too. Of that group Veleno is probably the safest bet, to make the team but it was only be as a speed 3rd/4th liner.

The next 3 dmen I've kind of meh'd on. I could see them all as NHLer's still but probably bottom pair. McIssac has never developed the d game I hoped he would. Cholo is a mess from the mental side of the game. Gus is probably a solid bet as a 6/7 guy, but lacks any real potential beyond that.

The rest all have potential but major gaps in their game that could easily not see them in the NHL at all.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
1. Seider
2. Raymond
3. Zadina
4. Berggren
5. Veleno
6. Johansson
7. Cholowski
8. Rasmussen
9. McIsaac
10. Mastrosimone
11. Bednar
12. Niederbach
13. Svechnikov
14. Wallinder
15. Cotton
16. Tuomisto
17. Hanas
18. Smith
19. Viro
20. Lindstrom
21. Phillips
22. Soderblom
23. Pearson
24. Grewe
25. Berglund
26. Tyutyaev
27. Petruzzelli
28. Barton
29. Larsson
30. Sebrango
31. Kivenmaki

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I don’t understand how some of you have Mo at #1. Raymond and Zadina have higher upsides as impact players. Seider might develop into a #2, but it’s more likely he projects as a #3 guy. I can understand if you have Seider over Zadina if you’ve started to sour on Zadina for some reason, but Raymond is the best prospect in the organization with a bullet.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Not ranking goaltenders or Ras/Cholo/Lindstrom

1. Lucas Raymond
2. Moritz Seider
3. Filip Zadina
4. Jonatan Berggren
5. Joe Veleno
6. Albert Johansson
7. Robert Mastrosimone
8. William Wallinder
9. Theodor Niederbach
10. Antti Tuomisto
11. Eemil Viro
12. Jared McIsaac
13. Elmer Soderblom
14. Ethan Phillips
15. Cross Hanas
16. Sam Stange
17. Alex Cotton
18. Albin Grewe
19. Givani Smith
20. Otto Kivenmaki

Reactions: hkydave04

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I don’t understand how some of you have Mo at #1. Raymond and Zadina have higher upsides as impact players. Seider might develop into a #2, but it’s more likely he projects as a #3 guy. I can understand if you have Seider over Zadina if you’ve started to sour on Zadina for some reason, but Raymond is the best prospect in the organization with a bullet.

You don't see how a 6'4 right shot defensmen who is excellent defensively a strong skater and developing his offensive projects more than a #3?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
You don't see how a 6'4 right shot defensmen who is excellent defensively a strong skater and developing his offensive projects more than a #3?
I mean, it’s an optimistic forecast. He’s going to have to develop his offense a lot to be a legit top pairing guy in this league. And even if he doesn’t, if he’s an elite defensive player, he’ll be a #2 at best.Let’s not be blinded by his size.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Seider projects as a 25+ minute a night 2-way defender with a meanstreak. They'll have higher point totals, but higher upside? I don't know, man. He's likely the best drafted defensive prospect not in the NHL right now. The kid was turning out dominant defensive performances in the AHL as an 18 year old.

Anyway, here's my list.

1. Mo Seider
2. Filip Zadina
3. Lucas Raymond
4. Jonatan Berggren
5. Joseph Veleno
6. Albert Johansson
7. Michael Rasmussen
8. Jared McIsaac
9. William Wallinder
10. Theodor Niederbach
11. Robert Mastrosimone
12. Elmer Soderblom
13. Antti Tuomisto
14. Emil Viro
15. Givani Smith
16. Cross Hanas
17. Chase Pearson
18. Otto Kivenmaki
19. Kaspar Kotkansalo
20. Ethan Phillips (My darkhorse to make it as a pesky 3rd/4th line PKer in the draper mold.)

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
1. Lucas Raymond
2. Filip Zadina
3. Moritz Seider
4. Michael Rasmussen
5. Joe Veleno
6. Jared McIsaac
7. Gustav Lindstrom
8. Jonatan Berggren
9. Antti Tuomisto
10. William Wallinder

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
He's likely the best drafted defensive prospect not in the NHL right now.

This is the stuff I mean. He’s not. We are setting ourselves up for massive disappointment if we assume these things about Seider. Could he develop into a #1 or even a top pairing guy, yes? But that is if everything goes as planned.

Reactions: njx9

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
I mean, it’s an optimistic forecast. He’s going to have to develop his offense a lot to be a legit top pairing guy in this league. And even if he doesn’t, if he’s an elite defensive player, he’ll be a #2 at best.Let’s not be blinded by his size.
When you say "develop his offensive game" do you mean goal scoring? A contributor in the offensive zone? Assist guy? I thought Seider was very good at feeding the goal scorers on his teams, some times I thought he did it too much to where he should have taken a shot, but I think that will come sooner than we think.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Recency bias. New toys are better than old toys.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

This is the stuff I mean. He’s not. We are setting ourselves up for massive disappointment if we assume these things about Seider. Could he develop into a #1 or even a top pairing guy, yes? But that is if everything goes as planned.

People are just much higher on him then you are. I think that answers the question plain and simple.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

Vlasic, Seabrook, Slavin top pairing guys no offense.

Seider uses his size and is physical so yah his size matters. He isn't a marshmallow like Ericsson was.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

I don't disagree with you. I was just curious who you would peg as the best d prospect not in the NHL.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

In the last 3 drafts, (2018, 2019, and 2020) which defensive prospect not playing in the NHL is ranked higher than him? The only one that comes close is Bowen Byram, taken 4th overall in the same draft year. Even then it's debatable if Byram is better after a shaky WJC U20 and a subpar D+1 that was only saved by his hot streak during the last 20 games of the season.

Fact is this; Seider was often playing 22+ minutes a night as an 18 year old rookie in a men's league! He started out the season fairly strong and only got better as the season progressed. He was the best defenseman not just for Germany, but in the whole WJC U20 tournament while playing in the toughest grouping.

The kid is incredibly strong on the ice and bowls over grown ass men, makes the smart heads-up hockey plays that Detroit defenseman forgot how to make since Lidstrom retired, has great hand-eye coordination and was regularly breaking up plays heading into the defensive zone with his stick in the neutral zone, is a great passer, and has a seeing eye wrister. The only thing his game truly lacks is a slapshot.

J15

Mar 18, 2009
Then who is? It’s Seider and Byram and then everyone else. That view is held pretty much universally across the league, not just by Detroit fans. Is he a guaranteed #1 D? Nope, the truth is there isn’t a single D prospect in the world who is, but at this point he’s a close to it as you can hope to get.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
1-Seider
2-Raymond
3-Zadina
4-Veleno
5-Berggren
6-Rasmussen
7-Johansson
8-Neiderbach
9-Wallinder
10-Mcissac

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
you'd think Seider put up the best season in the history of the AHL with the way people talk about him sometimes

He did well, there's no denying that, especially given his age. But in the end he was still 14th in rookie defense ppg. So not world burning by any stretch.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Smallish winger vs 25-minute a night D.
Easy.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
you'd think Seider put up the best season in the history of the AHL with the way people talk about him sometimes

I don't think the offense will ever be fantastic.
But I think he's going to be a monster defensively. Modern day Langway type. Langway won a Norris. Pronger without as much offense.
Takes all the hard minutes at 5 on 5. Kills the penalties.

Reactions: ShippinItDaily

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

And isn't that your argument for Raymond or Zadina?
Don't they have to have everything develop as planned to be worth your #1 ranking?

End of the day, it's easier to find a 5'11 or 6'0 offensive winger than a 6'5 all-situation defenseman.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He did well, there's no denying that, especially given his age. But in the end he was still 14th in rookie defense ppg. So not world burning by any stretch.

Again, points are only a very small portion of the story. He was the 2nd highest scoring defenseman on a pretty crappy Griffins squad.

That team scored 177 GF in 63 games. 2.809 GPG.

J15

Mar 18, 2009
1- Zadina
2- Seider
3- Raymond
4- Berggren
5- Veleno
6- Johansson
7- Wallinder
8- Rasmussen
9- McIsaac
10- Niederbach

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Copying mine from another thread. Not counting Zadina. Have a feeling people are going to shoot Grewe up their lists after a year in the OHL (assuming they have a season). He isn't going to need to add a lot of offense to be a better version of Smith. Also was tempted to put Seider ahead of Raymond because an anchor at D is usually more valuable than wing and I am really high on Seider being that anchor. Overall, lots of good D prospects but still need that goalie of the future and a center.

Guys you build around:
Raymond-W
Seider-D

Solid prospects:
Veleno-C
Johannson-D
Rasmussen-C/W
Wallinder-D
Berggren-W

Fringe regulars down the road:
McIssac-D
Lindstrom-D