Prospect Info: Top 20 DRW Prospect (Including 2020 Draft)

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I don’t understand how some of you have Mo at #1. Raymond and Zadina have higher upsides as impact players. Seider might develop into a #2, but it’s more likely he projects as a #3 guy. I can understand if you have Seider over Zadina if you’ve started to sour on Zadina for some reason, but Raymond is the best prospect in the organization with a bullet.
I’m sorry but this is clueless. A #3? The guy was a beast in the AHL at 18.. he just stepped into the SHL after not playing a game for 6 months and looked like a man against boys.
The way he skates, the way he thinks the game, handles the puck, his strenght and physical play, his size, defensive awareness.. he for sure has #1D upside. This is a special prospect.

I’m GUESSING you are focused too much on numbers. And he’ll not do offensively what Quinn Hughes did. But he’ll do more defensively than most. Think Hedman/Pietrangelo type impact.
you'd think Seider put up the best season in the history of the AHL with the way people talk about him sometimes
For his age, he pretty much did.. granted there are few 18 year old D playing in the AHL, but he scored very well compared to them and was a force defensively and physically.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Think Hedman/Pietrangelo type impact.

Over his last 500 games, Hedman is producing at an 82 game rate of 14.5 goals and 63.5 points. Over his last 300 games, Pietrangelo is at an 82 game rate of 16 goals and 53.5 points.

You’re literally just saying “think about Moritz Seider as a Norris Trophy winner.” It’s quite the unrealistic notion to be touting around as the likely outcome. I love Seider as a prospect, but you’re just setting him up with a low probability outcome as the expectation.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Over his last 500 games, Hedman is producing at an 82 game rate of 14.5 goals and 63.5 points. Over his last 300 games, Pietrangelo is at an 82 game rate of 16 goals and 53.5 points.

You’re literally just saying “think about Moritz Seider as a Norris Trophy winner.” It’s quite the unrealistic notion to be touting around as the likely outcome. I love Seider as a prospect, but you’re just setting him up with a low probability outcome as the expectation.
The Hedman comparison is accurate if you look at his 1st 258gp (4 seasons)/89pts= 28.28 pts/82gp.

After that Hedman took off, but that's 5 years from now, too far out to be projecting Seider's offense.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
The Hedman comparison is accurate if you look at his 1st 258gp (4 seasons)/89pts= 28.28 pts/82gp.

After that Hedman took off, but that's 5 years from now, too far out to be projecting Seider's offense.

If it’s too far out to be projecting that Seider’s offense will develop, then Hedman isn’t a good comparable to bring up.

Bringing up Hedman’s name should not be done if we are limiting him to who he was in his first few seasons. Hedman has developed to be essentially THE premier defenseman in the league. The odds that Seider does similar are minimal. The odds that Seider is a perennial Norris contender is minimal. That comparison is setting expectations at a level so high that he’s almost guaranteed to not achieve them.

Now conversely, if you do want to compare Seider to early career Hedman, then I think you’re just proving Cyborg correct. He’s a top 4 defenseman who can play minutes, but that’s really it.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

And why do we not think Seider can develop into that? Realistically? I'm all ears for a well articulated argument for why he's realistically only a #3, when that's basically what he likely is TODAY.

What is a #3 D-man in people's eyes?

I mean, it's hard to compare when we are talking about Pietro and Hedman at their absolute peaks, when they're playing on two of the most dominant teams in the league. And I don't want to say that's the expectation, but that kind of d-man, that kind of all-situations play, that style of d-man is what Seider is trending strongly towards. Not as a "if he gets better at X, Y and Z, and improves A, B and C..." but as a "if he just keeps doing what he's doing" type projection. Maybe he never scores 60+ points, maybe. But defensively I'd take him over Hedman at the same age, physically I don't think I've ever seen an 18-19 year old look so dominant. Mobility wise he's elite for such a big guy. He's got hands and he thinks the game at a high level. Get on the hype train people!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And why do we not think Seider can develop into that? Realistically? I'm all ears for a well articulated argument for why he's realistically only a #3, when that's basically what he likely is TODAY.

Because most defenseman don't become that? Even most guys who are drafted top 10.

A guy who has played 0 NHL games is basically a #3 TODAY.... interesting.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Because most defenseman don't become that? Even most guys who are drafted top 10.

A guy who has played 0 NHL games is basically a #3 TODAY.... interesting.
How many d-men look as good at 18-19?

I understand we all have PTSD from failed prospects in the past but we have to try and move past that. I'm sure he will need a bit of adjustment time and all of that, but my #3 today assessment is based on his skillset and ability today, and the fact he has looked fantastic playing against men and dominant playing against juniors. Niklas Hjalmarsson was one of the league's best #3D for a while. I will take a permaban if Seider doesn't become better than Hjalmarsson. Hell I will take a permaban if he's not better than peak Hjalmarsson 2 years from now.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How many d-men look as good at 18-19?

I understand we all have PTSD from failed prospects in the past but we have to try and move past that. I'm sure he will need a bit of adjustment time and all of that, but my #3 today assessment is based on his skillset and ability today, and the fact he has looked fantastic playing against men and dominant playing against juniors.

I don't know, I feel like guys like Hanifin/Lindholm/Trouba all looked super promising at 19 as well, but didn't hit that Hedman/Pieterangelo level. Even Ekblad did not look like that kind of guy for like the first 5 years of career, before having somewhat of a breakthrough this last year, that is hopefully sustainable.

Niklas Hjalmarsson was one of the league's best #3D for a while. I will take a permaban if Seider doesn't become better than Hjalmarsson. Hell I will take a permaban if he's not better than peak Hjalmarsson 2 years from now.

Lol, I'm with you on that. I think Seider will/can definitely be better than that. I am optimistic about him, I do think he will be our best defenseman in quite a long time.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Seider at #1 of the group is a perfectly reasonable ranking. The guy has impressed at every step of his progression, and has the upside of a defenseman this team desperately needs. No, he is not guaranteed to be an impact player, and no he has a long way to go to even reach the level of guys like Hedman or Pietrangelo or even Suter. But are any of our other prospects guaranteed to be elite talents?

The fact is we have a couple of very promising prospects in the cupboard, and that is something we have not seen for some time.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

What do you think is more likely as of right now with everything we've seen? Is Seider projecting more like a number one, all situations dman or is he projecting more like your typical number 3 dman in the league?

Its lofty expectations and I dont think he'll be as good as Hedman obviously.But right now hes definitely projecting more like a Hedman all situations type D than a number 3 guy with everything we've seen.

Reactions: Winger98

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If I read that guys post correctly, hes saying best defensive prospect as in best defensively. In that case I dont think theres an argument for anyone above Seider right now. All things considered, youre splitting hairs between Byram and Seider right now as best dman prospect not in the NHL.

He could develop into a top pairing guy pretty easily. He skates really well, hits, is great defensively. If the offense comes around a bit he could be a number one. Realistically, how he is defensively, if he is putting up 30-40 points consistently he would be considered a number one D man by most people

On the polls section of HFboards, theyre doing a series of polls for best prospects in the league after the draft. The wings have 3 of the top 11, so its definitely not worth putting a sad face like that lol. Theyre the only team to have 3 top 11
Can you send me this i can't find it

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Using HF rating system where #s show peak potential (9 =elite level, 8 =very good/borderline first line or #2 d, 7 = top 6 potential, 6= bottom 6 and third pairing, anything else fringes/4th line 7th dman) and the letters representing likelihood and how far they can drop (a C for Raymond for example shows his floor is likely a 7)

Tier 1 Gamebreakers
1. Raymond ( 9, C)
2. Seider ( 8.5, B)

Tier 2 top line Potential/ top pair
3. Zadina (8.5, C)

tier 3 top 6 and top 4 pairing upside
4. Berggren (7.5, c)
5. Veleno (7, B)
6. Rasmussen (6.5 A)
7. Johanssen (7.5 C)
8. Wallinder (8 D)
9. Niderbach (7.5 D)
10. McIssac (8, D)
11. Tuomisto (8.5, F)

Tier 4 Middle 6 and bottom 4 peak
12. Mastrosimone (6.5 C)
13. Soderblom (7.5, D)
14. Cotton (7 D)
15. Viro (6, B)
16. Cholowski (7, D)

tier 5 3rd pairing and bottom 6 potential
17. Lindstrom (6.5, B)
18. Sabrango unsure
18 Grewe (6.5 D)
19. Svechnikov (5.5 B)
20. Hannas (7, F)

HM Kiril Tyuatev (huge upside but unlikely to reach, Stange, Kivenmaki, Moore

didn’t include goalies because I really don’t know how to value them comparably. Again, the #s are what I think are best case scenario. I think every player listed has the potential to be at the very least a regular NHLer, just the likelihood of all or even half panning out isn’t high).

Last edited:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Raymond, Seider

Zadina

Rasmussen, Bergreen, Veleno, Johansson

Mastersemone, Viro, Lindstrom, Mcissac. Kivenmaki Soderblom Tuomisto, Wallinder

Philips, Grewe, Tyutyayev, Cotton, Sebrango

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I really don't consider Zadina, Cholo, Svech, or Smith "prospects" anymore.

Hell, I have a hard time seeing anyone who's played 2 seasons of "pro" hockey as a prospect, irrespective of the league, but especially considering the AHL. Example: Cholo has played over a season's worth of NHL games, so can he really be a "prospect" as much as a "player under 25?"

Fun side-note: He played for Chilliwack, just like another draft darling. :naughty:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Hell, I have a hard time seeing anyone who's played 2 seasons of "pro" hockey as a prospect, irrespective of the league, but especially considering the AHL. Example: Cholo has played over a season's worth of NHL games, so can he really be a "prospect" as much as a "player under 25?"

Fun side-note: He played for Chilliwack, just like another draft darling. :naughty:

We should have some Group name for players who are something between NHL regular and prospect. Zadina, Cholo, Svechnikov, Smith are exactly this, guys who have not yet played more in NHL than they did in AHL. YZerman has said that he sees Zadina already as NHL regular, but not about others.

Reactions: RedMenace

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Me, 2 years isn't that long, especially when you get limited playing time on a garbage team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Me, 2 years isn't that long, especially when you get limited playing time on a garbage team.

If we still consider sending Cholowski to AHL, more than icing in NHL, then he is not NHL regular. He is that middle-ground guy, a "developing project". Not a prospect, but not NHL regular either.

We need term to describe these kind of guys. Rasmussen is same thing. He could be NHL regular very soon, but we don't know yet.

A) NHL regular
B) ??? (not NHL regular) (not a prospect)
C) prospect

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
you'd think Seider put up the best season in the history of the AHL with the way people talk about him sometimes
Well, he actually had the second best statistical season in AHL history for a D+1 defenseman
upload_2020-10-18_8-54-31.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad