Top 1995 Prospects (2013 NHL Draft)

Puck Steal Master*

People never argued that granlund was going to be 1st overall contender maybe top 5 and if we make rerank today he's close being top 5. Pulkkinen was considered first overall contender 2 or 3 season before the draft but he got injured and struggled to dominate at jr. A level or even play at fel. I don't think any fin considered armia as 1st overall contender in my eyes he was top 20 pick and i liked salomäki 2nd rounder more. So i don't agree with your statements excepts for pulkkinen who was considered 1st overall contender after u-17 hockey challenge at NA where he was as good as hall. People from na thougt he gonna be contender. Barkov has broke several records at FEL already and will be youngest player ever for team Finland at wjc. Granlund and pulkkinen were extremely skilled tiny players Barkov is as talented but big player 6'3 atleast at this point maybe even 6'4. Could end up 6'5 and he's not lanky he's stocky. Still not buying your argument that monahan and mackinnon are the only 1st overall contenders because they play at NA.

Well I believe Mackinnon to be in the same class prospect as Steven Stamkos. Scoutman1 also believes this aswell. Said after Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin that Mackinnon is the most talented prospect he has scouted after them. And so far he is living up to his billing in the QMJHL so far.

Barkov must be a generational talent if he's more talented than Nathan Mackinnon.

I think it's a safe bet that Mackinnon goes 1st overall. A Canadian went 1st overall the last 4 straight years. Can't argue with a proven track record like that from Canada.

Just be glad you have Granlund, Armia and Barkov for the future.

Like I have said before, playing in a mens league is overrated around these parts. Hall, Seguin, Tavares, Skinner, Giroux, Crosby, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Stamkos all played against 16,17,18 year old kids and it didn't affect their transition to becoming bonifide NHLer's.

Last edited by a moderator:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Well I believe Mackinnon to be in the same class prospect as Steven Stamkos. Scoutman1 also believes this aswell. Said after Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin that Mackinnon is the most tlaneted prospect he has scouted after them. And so far he is living up to his billing in the QMJHL so far.

Barkov must be a generational talent if he's more talented than Nathan Mackinnon.

I think it's a safe bet that Mackinnon goes 1st overall. A Canadian went 1st overall the last 4 straight years. Can't argue with a proven track record like that from Canada.

Barkov has been best ever player in fel as 16 year old. Breaking several records. League which have produced Teemu selanne and Jari kurri. I can't argue with you because i haven't seen enough of monahan or mackinnon but i highly doubt that you have seen any barkov. Scoutman1 didnt have barkov in top 30 just because i doubt he has ever watched him play. Stating that barkov isn't 1st overall contender without even seeing actual player isnt very smart. If you want to Compare stats monahan had 3pts in 5 games at ivan hlinka barkov had 7pts in 5 and he's about year younger. Comparing stats isn't very smart but barkov was considered one of the best players of the tournament and the hockey news ranked him as an top center despite that he was underager. I say it again i'm just arguing with you that barkov should be 1st overall contender not about that who is best because i have limited views from mackinnon(u-17 challenge) monahan(ivan hlinka).

Puck Steal Master*

Barkov has been best ever player in fel as 16 year old. Breaking several records. League which have produced Teemu selanne and Jari kurri. I can't argue with you because i haven't seen enough of monahan or mackinnon but i highly doubt that you have seen any barkov. Scoutman1 didnt have barkov in top 30 just because i doubt he has ever watched him play. Stating that barkov isn't 1st overall contender without even seeing actual player isnt very smart. If you want to Compare stats monahan had 3pts in 5 games at ivan hlinka barkov had 7pts in 5 and he's about year younger. Comparing stats isn't very smart but barkov was considered one of the best players of the tournament and the hockey news ranked him as an top center despite that he was underager. I say it again i'm just arguing with you that barkov should be 1st overall contender not about that who is best because i have limited views from mackinnon(u-17 challenge) monahan(ivan hlinka).

Sidney Crosby and Steven Stamkos never broke and records coming out of junior but that didn't stop Crosby from going on to become the consensus best player in the world or stop Stamkos from tying Crosby with 51 goals.

Small tournaments like the Hlinka mean nothing. Pulkinnen matched Alex Ovechkins outpout in the U-18's in 2010 and no person with half a brain would compare the 2.

Hell Jonathan Toews was named best forward at the 2010 Olympics when Canada won gold. He won tournament best forward honor over the consensus best player in the world. Doesn't mean I would take Toews over Crosby though.

Cody Hodgson was named the world Junior championships top forward when Canada won gold in 2009 over John Tavares, out produced him and everything. Doesn't mean I would take Hodgson over Tavares. get my drift?

And by all accounts Monahan was very impressive in Canada's repeat for gold at the Hlinka tournament this year. Was Canada's shutdown forward.

Same goes for your little "Barkov outproduced Monahan" comparison.

Anyways this argument will be settled soon enough.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Sidney Crosby and Steven Stamkos never broke and records coming out of junior but that didn't stop Crosby from going on to become the consensus best player in the world or stop Stamkos from tying Crosby with 51 goals.

Small tournaments like the Hlinka mean nothing. Pulkinnen matched Alex Ovechkins outpout in the U-18's in 2010 and no person with half a brain would compare the 2.

Hell Jonathan Toews was named best forward at the 2010 Olympics when Canada won gold. He won tournament best forward honor over the consensus best player in the world. Doesn't mean I would take Toews over Crosby though.

Cody Hodgson was named the world Junior championships top forward when Canada won gold in 2009 over John Tavares, out produced him and everything. Doesn't mean I would take Hodgson over Tavares. get my drift?

And by all accounts Monahan was very impressive in Canada's repeat for gold at the Hlinka tournament this year. Was Canada's shutdown forward.

Same goes for your little "Barkov outproduced Monahan" comparison.

Anyways this argument will be settled soon enough.

International tournaments are the only events where we can compare the players from europe and NA. There have been long history of underrated europeans because they played their predraft career in europe. Forsberg, selanne, jagr all was drafted lower than they should.

Everyone talked about crosby when he was 11-12 as an extraordinary prospect. I don't doubt that mackinnon is stamkos like prospect. But stamkos developed alot since he got drafted. It was rajala who broke the ovy record. Ovy was underager back then and ivan is best vs best u-18 wc isn't. International tournaments are great measurements for clutchness and mentally tough players will step ahead. Toews is conn smythe winner afterall i rather take conn smythe player(toews) than rocket player in my team. There is very long way that mackinnon ends up stamkos like barkov has long way end up as bigger pavel datsyuk. No doubt they all are great prospects but i don't buy your statement that barkov doesen't have chance to be contender because he is playing in europe in one of the toughest leagues in the world.

Last edited:

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Well I believe Mackinnon to be in the same class prospect as Steven Stamkos. Scoutman1 also believes this aswell. Said after Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin that Mackinnon is the most talented prospect he has scouted after them. And so far he is living up to his billing in the QMJHL so far.

Like I have said before, playing in a mens league is overrated around these parts. Hall, Seguin, Tavares, Skinner, Giroux, Crosby, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Stamkos all played against 16,17,18 year old kids and it didn't affect their transition to becoming bonifide NHLer's.

Just a condescending post full of jibberish.

No one is suggesting that Barkov will go 1st overall. We are simply stating that 2 years away, it looks plausible. Clearly Monahan and Mackinnon (And others) look exciting prospects who are capable of being taken 1st overall. However, Barkov himself can be considered a Finnish phenom and at this point. A player at 16 playing very well in a men's league, who lacks any real flaws in his game and can be considered a very high end talent. What is so absurd about suggesting he is a contender?

Canadian's go 1st overall the majority of the time because they produce the best prospects. However, it doesn't mean in any given draft, that it is the guaranteed outcome. The track record of a nation has little bearing on a #1 overall outcome ; simply the best player available will be taken. This could Mackinnon, it could be Barkov. No need to be so closeminded on a draft that is nearly 2 years away ; you only set yourself up to appear foolish.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Mackinnon and Monahan are in the same class as Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, RNH. Playing in a men's league means nothing. Magnus Paajarvi played in a mens league and people thought he was going to easily outproduce Hall and Eberle but nope.
Playing in a men's league does mean something. It requires already a high level of playing, since the competition is way tougher than in any junior league (Now I'm talking about FEL, SEL, NLA etc.)

And there's no need to get all defensive, nobody ever said that a men's league makes for an easier adjustment to the NHL. The only difference is that being a top-6 player in the FEL for example is more remarkable than being a top-6 player in juniors, just because junior-aged players most often don't make the senior team, and if they do, not the top lines.

And your perception is skewed, since there is a lot more talent coming from NA than there is from say Sweden or Finland. Mostly there's only a handful of draft eligible players every year playing solid minutes, and none of NA prospects play in pro-leagues before the draft.

Playing in a mens league is highly overrated on these boards. Taylor Hall played against kids, Steven Stamkos played against kids, John tavares played against kids, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins played against kids, Tyler Seguin played against kids, Jeff Skinner played against kids, Matt Duchene played against kids. Sidney Crosby played against kids. All have made the transition to the NHL.

And again, why take Sasha Barkov when you can have the North American(s) that projects to be just as good if not better and will never threaten to bolt overseas because they already live in North America, hmm?
Why would he bolt overseas? Thy guy is Finnish, not Russian
Unless your implying that Barkov is light years ahead of Nathan Mackinnon which is laughable at best.

I don't know why it's such a crazy proposition that 1st overall could be someone not Canadian. Barkov isn't light years ahead, I don't even know if he is even with him at this point. All I know that there has NEVER been a guy in the FEL who has done the same things that Barkov is doing right now. And after all we have produced a handful of top-4 draft picks.

And I'm not even saying he should be a contender for 1st overall since I haven't seen any of MacKinnon and whoever, I'm just quite astonished that a lot of Canadian posters here seem very sensitive about the subject that a European could go 1st overall instead of a Canadian.

Just be glad you have Granlund, Armia and Barkov for the future
What is that supposed to mean? "Just be glad you have these guys and don't try to invade our pedestal of having 1st overall"?

It's funny that you act insulted that somebody suggests that your boy might not be the one going 1st

Last edited:

aigledefeu

Oct 30, 2011
quebec
I don't know why it's such a crazy proposition that 1st overall could be someone not Canadian. Barkov isn't light years ahead, I don't even know if he is even with him at this point. All I know that there has NEVER been a guy in the FEL who has done the same things that Barkov is doing right now. And after all we have produced a handful of top-4 draft picks.

And I'm not even saying he should be a contender for 1st overall since I haven't seen any of MacKinnon and whoever, I'm just quite astonished that a lot of Canadian posters here seem very sensitive about the subject that a European could go 1st overall instead of a Canadian.

What is that supposed to mean? "Just be glad you have these guys and don't try to invade our pedestal of having 1st overall"?

It's funny that you act insulted that somebody suggests that your boy might not be the one going 1st

Well, I am Canadian and I think Barkov could fight fort a 1st spot draft. 2013 look like a creazy year, could be the best draft since 2003, will see. And i don't think European player are overrated. I believe that lots of people only look in US-CAN for the top prospect, but a LOT of star players are Euro. Yes, there is lots of CAN No1, but they are not always No1 talent. If we take the 2006 draft, wich of you would take Erik Johnson and Jordan Stall before Nicklas Backstrom? Believe it or not, Backstrom played in Sweden before NHL! Then, his first year on NHL he did very well for a first year on a smaller surface...69 pts, then 88, and 101.

So guys, don't underrate Barkov..and don't forget Ristoleinen, Soberg, Ikonen and Dano who could all fight for top 15 spot on the Draft.

Puck Steal Master*

No one is suggesting that Barkov will go 1st overall. We are simply stating that 2 years away, it looks plausible. Clearly Monahan and Mackinnon (And others) look exciting prospects who are capable of being taken 1st overall. However, Barkov himself can be considered a Finnish phenom and at this point. A player at 16 playing very well in a men's league, who lacks any real flaws in his game and can be considered a very high end talent. What is so absurd about suggesting he is a contender?

Canadian's go 1st overall the majority of the time because they produce the best prospects. However, it doesn't mean in any given draft, that it is the guaranteed outcome. The track record of a nation has little bearing on a #1 overall outcome ; simply the best player available will be taken. This could Mackinnon, it could be Barkov. No need to be so closeminded on a draft that is nearly 2 years away ; you only set yourself up to appear foolish.

He's a contender. Nothing more.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Cammarata committed to University of Minnesota for 2013-14

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Not saying he will be a top pick by any means but does anybody have any information/opinion on 16 year old defenseman Matt Murphy from Val D'or? Seemed to be getting a lot of ice time when I watched them on Sunday and was more then holding his own out there.

Kind of an obscure comparison but he reminded me a lot of Kevin Marshall(minus the PIM totals) who was a 2nd round draft pick for the Flyers back in 2007.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Not saying he will be a top pick by any means but does anybody have any information/opinion on 16 year old defenseman Matt Murphy from Val D'or? Seemed to be getting a lot of ice time when I watched them on Sunday and was more then holding his own out there.

Kind of an obscure comparison but he reminded me a lot of Kevin Marshall(minus the PIM totals) who was a 2nd round draft pick for the Flyers back in 2007.

He was a +2 in that game and was the 4th overall pick in the qmjhl draft last year. He was also the only underager on team atlantic besides mackinnon last year at the world u17. He should be team atlantics top d this year.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Not much love for Skellefteås Lukas Wallmark in this thread, he is doing very well in Superelit right now (better than Söberg for example). He will be one of the youngest in his draftyear and look like a very promising center. Last year he was the mvp of TV-pucken the big tournaments for 15-year olds, he then continues to have the best season a 15-year old ever have had in the j-18 league. This year he is doing great in the j-20 and played in Ivan Hlinka as a underager.

Questionmarks for him is that he is a tad bit on the small side and that his skating isn't top notch, otherwise a very interesting prospect.

He is a guy that should be on the radar.

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
Not much love for Skellefteås Lukas Wallmark in this thread, he is doing very well in Superelit right now (better than Söberg for example). He will be one of the youngest in his draftyear and look like a very promising center. Last year he was the mvp of TV-pucken the big tournaments for 15-year olds, he then continues to have the best season a 15-year old ever have had in the j-18 league. This year he is doing great in the j-20 and played in Ivan Hlinka as a underager.

Questionmarks for him is that he is a tad bit on the small side and that his skating isn't top notch, otherwise a very interesting prospect.

He is a guy that should be on the radar.
And not to mention that he had the end of last season ruined when he broke his shinbone. Nice to see him back on track. :handclap:

bberry

Nov 16, 2010
Angelo Esposito has a few words he would like to share about labelling the next one. Sean Couturier will speak after him.

(I am not saying Couturier isn't good but he was pegged to be consensus #1 overall, generational type player for a few years.)

Dgill

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
www.metroho.com
Angelo Esposito has a few words he would like to share about labelling the next one. Sean Couturier will speak after him.

(I am not saying Couturier isn't good but he was pegged to be consensus #1 overall, generational type player for a few years.)

I have never heard for 'a few years' that Couturier was a 'generational type talent'.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I guess we'll see what happens next year. Right now if I was making a list for top 5 next year...

1 - Sean Monahan
2 - Nathan MacKinnon
3 - Aleksander Barkov Jr.
4 - Seth Jones
5 - Curtis Lazar

It's a long ways away, but that's just based on what is going on right now. I think Monahan deserves his hype -- he was great last year as a rookie 16 year old and now he's really dominating. I know it's very hard to tell if he can continue his current pace, but if he keeps it up he'll have a better pre-draft year than Yakupov did. On top of that he's strong on the faceoff and plays well defensively. Just the complete package.

I could see this list being pretty close to how the draft goes...as of now a lot can happen in the next year and a half as well and a couple of other guys are knocking on the top 5 as well.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I have never heard for 'a few years' that Couturier was a 'generational type talent'.

True.

Rookie season:

Couturier: 9 goals and 22 assists in 58 games

MacKinnon: 10 goals and 20 assists in 19 games

Don't tell me Sean was younger as an excuse, that's only a 3 months difference...

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com

i dont know if he was "generational type talent" but he had his own thread on hf at 13-14 years old :sarcasm:

True.

Rookie season:

Couturier: 9 goals and 22 assists in 58 games

MacKinnon: 10 goals and 20 assists in 19 games

Don't tell me Sean was younger as an excuse, that's only a 3 months difference...

He also played for stack team in Drumondville (top2 team in the chl). so clearly didnt play 20+min like MacKinnon. But MacKinnon is the best 16yo since Crosby in the Q without a doubt

Last edited:

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

I have to agree here and lets remember the MPS comp.

MPS was on a Swedish elite team Barkov is the best player on his team and already good defensively and has done excellent at every place and tournament that he has played at.

Now Sweden is better than the Finnish league but Barkov is the best player on his team and his skills will show at this years world jrs.

Will he dominate there no but we will all get a glimpse of his skillset.

He is a very legit top 5 guy in a very good top end draft IMO.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Monohan is in his second season... let's remember that guys...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad