Top 15 NHL Teams by Points %

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
They are top of the division and have not even been healthy? They will only improve as they get healthy.

Yes they will have a a skid like every team, but if somebody does catch them, that team will also have a skid after lol

So what makes you think they will not finish on top?
I just think there's teams in the division being undersold as complete garbage, and I don't think the gap is insurmountable, nor do I think a couple of teams couldn't still get hot and help them stumble along the way. I think it's entirely possible Calgary takes a couple in a row. Same with Winnipeg. Any mention of Edmonton from me is seen as homerism, but I think they could just as easily take the next two. People are still saying it's a two man team but it's just not. The depth and bottom six has been playing great the last few weeks and are absolutely picking up any slack from the top 6. Obviously Mike Smith ain't winning no Vezina, but him and Koski have posted respectable numbers over the last 12 games and that's good enough in my opinion.

I regret making the initial comment that I did, in that I didn't provide any reasoning and that was stupid, along with the timing given how last night's game went. But I also see a lot of folks talking like it's over, and there's still 30 some odd games left. I see the .773 points percentage and I'm honestly really impressed this far, adding to my disdain. But I'm also surprised by it, and because teams like the Flames and Canucks are struggling more than I think people expected, especially Calgary, and given some of the solid talent they both have I don't see it as unreasonable to expect the Leafs to slow down a bit if those teams get hot, allowing a still relatively narrow gap to close.

And I'm ridiculously optimistic given even the most dire of circumstances in sports. Maybe it does border on delusion:dunno: But like they say, it ain't over til it's over, and we're a long ways from over.

TLDR; in response to the OP, I'm surprised by the Leafs and Panthers, and I don't think Toronto will continue to tear like they have for the reasons stated above.

Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I just think there's teams in the division being undersold as complete garbage, and I don't think the gap is insurmountable, nor do I think a couple of teams couldn't still get hot and help them stumble along the way. I think it's entirely possible Calgary takes a couple in a row. Same with Winnipeg. Any mention of Edmonton from me is seen as homerism, but I think they could just as easily take the next two. People are still saying it's a two man team but it's just not. The depth and bottom six has been playing great the last few weeks and are absolutely picking up any slack from the top 6. Obviously Mike Smith ain't winning no Vezina, but him and Koski have posted respectable numbers over the last 12 games and that's good enough in my opinion.

I regret making the initial comment that I did, in that I didn't provide any reasoning and that was stupid, along with the timing given how last night's game went. But I also see a lot of folks talking like it's over, and there's still 30 some odd games left. I see the .773 points percentage and I'm honestly really impressed this far, adding to my disdain. But I'm also surprised by it, and because teams like the Flames and Canucks are struggling more than I think people expected, especially Calgary, and given some of the solid talent they both have I don't see it as unreasonable to expect the Leafs to slow down a bit if those teams get hot, allowing a still relatively narrow gap to close.

And I'm ridiculously optimistic given even the most dire of circumstances in sports. Maybe it does border on delusion:dunno: But like they say, it ain't over til it's over, and we're a long ways from over.

TLDR; in response to the OP, I'm surprised by the Leafs and Panthers, and I don't think Toronto will continue to tear like they have for the reasons stated above.

Anyone talking like its over is just being silly. Still almost half a season to go and some teams with many head to head left. I mean take Toronto/Winnipeg. If one team won the rest of those games, that's an 18 point spread.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013

I know we won't fully agree but I respect what you said and I think there is validity in parts of it, especially the part with the season not being over and that others teams could catch fire.

And nothing wrong with cheering for your team to win and believing in them.

Reactions: GOilers88

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I know we won't fully agree but I respect what you said and I think there is validity in parts of it, especially the part with the season not being over and that others teams could catch fire.

And nothing wrong with cheering for your team to win and believing in them.
Cheers.

Reactions: TopChedder

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
That's a fair assessment and I admit then that I should have been more specific. Though I can't think of many other reasons why someone might say that other than they believe there's still lots of time for things to change, or they're a straight up troll, which I don't believe to have ever been or tried to be.
You've called Leafs fans cockroaches...kinda troll-y

Reactions: Another AZ

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
All we heard before was the Atlantic sucks yet they are feasting pretty good versus the rest of the league. Yes still a couple bottom feeders, as with every division.
You heard the Atlantic sucked.....except for Boston and Tampa and the inconsistent Leafs.

Covid removed B & T.....leaving the Leafs who no longer had to play 2 teams better than them. So of course they rose to the top.

People said the Atlantic sucked because there were only 3 good teams compared to 4-6 in some other divisions.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Toronto's top line looks good, I'm not exactly sure what to make of the rest of the team.
Tampa Bay are annoyingly good right now.
Vegas are such a weird mixture of good players.
Florida are the "it" team right now.
Flyers are unimpressive winners.
Jets are good enough to make it hard for other teams, not sure they can go that far.
Carolina are a fun disruptor team but I don't believe in them.
I need to see more of the Wild.
Boston look about what you'd expect.
Washington are doing good enough, it's all about the playoffs for them.
Colorado look like they are in regular season mode. I expect a step up by playoff time.
Oilers look like they are transitioning into what they should be.
Pittsburgh look like the fading giant that they are.
Islanders are the Islanders.
Chicago have done well but their March schedule looks tough.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Look, I am a Leafs fan but that is an absurd level of overconfidence in a team that has yet to make anything of a deep playoff run in recent years. Winnipeg made a conference finals run in recent years and despite being a bit more depleted this season, is definitely battle tested and has some elite talent, and even Edmonton despite being top-heavy does have two of the absolute best players in the NHL on their roster. The Leafs are favourites right now for sure, but lets not act like they are absolute locks to come out of the division because that just isn’t true (although not having to go through Tampa and Boston to get to the conference finals is definitely a big opportunity for them).
He didn't say the Leafs might not win, he guaranteed the Leafs were going to lose the division. Big difference and why he's getting heat.

Reactions: axlrose87

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
It's interesting to me that a lot of people have Florida in their top surprise category.
To me, they have been underachieving the last few seasons. They probably have less talent than they've had the last few seasons, it's just that they started playing the right way. With hard work, basically.
If they would have played this hard the last few seasons they would have been even better in the standings than this season, IMO.
But the problem is though, I don't think they will go deep in the playoffs. Unless of course if they improve a lot more.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
You heard the Atlantic sucked.....except for Boston and Tampa and the inconsistent Leafs.

Covid removed B & T.....leaving the Leafs who no longer had to play 2 teams better than them. So of course they rose to the top.

People said the Atlantic sucked because there were only 3 good teams compared to 4-6 in some other divisions.
...and here the Atlantic is toying with you.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Anyone talking like its over is just being silly. Still almost half a season to go and some teams with many head to head left. I mean take Toronto/Winnipeg. If one team won the rest of those games, that's an 18 point spread.

You're right except there's *more* than half the season to go.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
League wide standings are completely useless this season......

IMO the Leafs are very far from a serious cup contender but still have a decent chance at winning the cup because they realistically only need to beat 2 higher end teams to win it all this year due to their joke of a division while others have to go through a gauntlet due to the unbalanced divisions.
Very unique season.
We are basically watching 4 mini leagues and comparing teams between leagues is basically useless.

That said. I wouldn't be surprised if they get taken out by a team like the Jets if Hellebuyck runs hot in the least bit even though they really shouldn't.

Reactions: Another AZ

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
He didn't say the Leafs might not win, he guaranteed the Leafs were going to lose the division. Big difference and why he's getting heat.
I don't believe the Leafs finish atop the North and I'm surprised by the Panthers.

Please show me where I guaranteed the Leafs wouldn't win the division? In fact, the only guarantee that has even remotely been implied has been by folks like yourself that seem to think the Leafs have the division locked up.

Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
???

Boston is good regardless what division.

Buffalo is shit regardless what division.

Both from the Atlantic.

Tampa is good regardless of what division.

Toronto is good regardless of what division.

Florida finally performing to expectation.

Atlantic still toying with the rest.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
League wide standings are completely useless this season......

IMO the Leafs are very far from a serious cup contender but still have a decent chance at winning the cup because they realistically only need to beat 2 higher end teams to win it all this year due to their joke of a division while others have to go through a gauntlet due to the unbalanced divisions.
Very unique season.
We are basically watching 4 mini leagues and comparing teams between leagues is basically useless.

That said. I wouldn't be surprised if they get taken out by a team like the Jets if Hellebuyck runs hot in the least bit even though they really shouldn't.

So basically they are getting the benefit that many other teams got in previous years? Cool.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
almost
[ˈôlˌmōst]
ADVERB
  1. not quite; very nearly.
Not quite is not exactly. Basically you're presuming the negative side of "very nearly".

Anyhoo, neither here nor there.
That's actually what almost means. I know not everyone here is a native English speaker and I hate these semantic arguments, but your phrasing to any native speaker reads strictly as 'less than'. Not quite and very nearly also typically have the connotation of being short of a goal, although "very nearly" less so. That's why this disagreement.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Flyers being 5th despite Couturier missing 10 games, COVID issues, and Hart off to a mediocre start is a little surprising.

The biggest surprise about the Flyers, is the rate that JvR is scoring at. Great for him, and congrats to Flyers fans.

Florida being so high up, and Minnesota as well. I would have though Buffalo would have progressed a little, but they've just been a tire fire franchise.

Reactions: Rebels57

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
The division and currently leading the league runs hand in hand though which is why I think they aren't a lock. If they fall in the league standings it's because they're losing solely to division rivals.
Truth of the matter is they are the only team that is definitely a playoff team in that division.
I do think Winnipeg is pretty solid and I would bet the house that they will finish 2nd.
I would also bet the house that Ottawa will finish last.
In regards to spots 3-6..... pick names out of a hat. None of those teams are playoff quality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad