Top 15 NHL Teams by Points %

mehavecable

Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Look, I am a Leafs fan but that is an absurd level of overconfidence in a team that has yet to make anything of a deep playoff run in recent years. Winnipeg made a conference finals run in recent years and despite being a bit more depleted this season, is definitely battle tested and has some elite talent, and even Edmonton despite being top-heavy does have two of the absolute best players in the NHL on their roster. The Leafs are favourites right now for sure, but lets not act like they are absolute locks to come out of the division because that just isn’t true (although not having to go through Tampa and Boston to get to the conference finals is definitely a big opportunity for them).

Good post.

As a Leaf fan, I wish more of my brethren were this level headed.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Oh I get it now. You're just an upset Oilers fan cause the Leafs beat you last night.

It doesn't matter who wins that division and who comes out of the playoffs in that division. They're going to get run over by the other top teams in the league. Whether that's Toronto, Edmonton, or Winnipeg none of them are legit cup contenders.
While I agree that playing against extremely weak opponents all season long (Winnipeg is an exception) is not setting them up for playoff success, the leafs are a much improved roster this season.
They can now definitely compete with the top teams this year.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
The Leafs have played in the epitome of a weak division for years. Couple good teams yes but 3 bad bad teams that helped pad their stats.

Oh so I must have imagined the part where year after year they got to face a top 5 team in the first round despite being top 6 or so themselves?

Remember, this is what is being held against the Leafs this year:

"they realistically only need to beat 2 higher end teams to win it all this year due to their joke of a division while others have to go through a gauntlet due to the unbalanced divisions."

Geeee....sound familiar?

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
What? Nobody argued they will stay at the top of the league. You brought up they won’t stay at the top of the North Division and when fans of other teams disagreed with you, you changed the argument... hahaha

You are right that anything can happen, but they have a winning record against all other North Division teams...
“Anything can happen” should not be allowed as a supporting argument. It just shows that the person’s opinion is not well thought out.

Reactions: Another AZ

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Oh so I must have imagined the part where year after year they got to face a top 5 team in the first round despite being top 6 or so themselves?

Remember, this is what is being held against the Leafs this year:

"they realistically only need to beat 2 higher end teams to win it all this year due to their joke of a division while others have to go through a gauntlet due to the unbalanced divisions."

Geeee....sound familiar?

Would the Leafs have even made the playoffs and have to play Boston if they hadn't had Buffalo, Detroit, and Ottawa to beat up on and pad points?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This has next to no value IMO. Points % as a tool because a team has played fewer games is really unreliable because of the extra stress required to win the make up games. A team with 3 games in hand has had more rest of its games and are fresher than the teams that have played more games. The team with games in hand are going to face a compressed schedule to make up the shortfall and those games are harder to win. Meanwhile the teams having played more games have faced a compressed schedule and will therefore be fresher for the games they have coming.

Then of course there is the limited division only schedule that provides no comparison what so other with the teams in the other divisions

Reactions: OrangePMD

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Would the Leafs have even made the playoffs and have to play Boston if they hadn't had Buffalo, Detroit, and Ottawa to beat up on and pad points?

Easily. Do other divisions also have to remove their wins against weaker opponents or is that just something the Leafs have to do.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Would good teams be in the playoffs if they didn't have bad teams to play against?

I guess there could be a hypothetical league with perfect parity, but I've yet to see one.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
Pleasantly surprised by how well the Wild are playing. I think we've always had one of the best D groups in the league, so I'm not too surprised by that part of our game. The surprise is we now have two lines playing with pace and creativity that I've never seen from Wild forwards. While biased, I think the Wild have the best 3rd line in the NHL in Greenway-Eriksson Ek-Foligno (Take a look at this line's xGoals%). Also Dubnyk-Stalock were dreadful the last couple years, so having Talbot-Kahkonen has been a huge upgrade.

Should be a very interesting team to watch if they get their PP figured out.

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
“Anything can happen” should not be allowed as a supporting argument. It just shows that the person’s opinion is not well thought out.
It's a good thing my reasoning is that they only have a 6 point lead with over half a season to go then, instead of just "anything can happen".

The only arguments that aren't well thought out are the ones who are acting like the division is locked up and the only good team is the Leafs. If that isn't blind homerism I honestly don't know what is.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Yes.

If you remove their games against those 3 teams and extrapolate their points percentage versus the rest, they make the playoffs every year in the same seed.

Now you ask that question and do the math on the other teams.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Kind of surprised St Louis isn’t there, and that NYI is so low.

St. Louis is really feeling the loss of Pietro and Binnington isnt quite the same Binner from a couple of years ago.

The Isles are pretty much where they should be. Did a comparison the other day on different records since Keefe took over as coach of the Leafs and heres Leafs vs. Isles:

Leafs: 43-19-7 (.674, 4th in the NHL)
Isles: 30-26-13 (.529, 21st in the NHL)

People always seemed shocked by this for some reason but everyone seems to have forgotten the biggest collapse in the standings last year was the Isles and its doubtful they even would have made the playoffs last year. Good bounce back in the playoffs after the break though and they've certainly been better than how they finished the season last year.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Yes.

If you remove their games against those 3 teams and extrapolate their points percentage versus the rest, they make the playoffs every year in the same seed.

Now you ask that question and do the math on the other teams.

Except if those three teams had been decent you would have had to fight with them for 3rd and 4th.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Easily. Do other divisions also have to remove their wins against weaker opponents or is that just something the Leafs have to do.

What is a weaker opponent? Might be that the Sens are good but that the top of that division is so strong. Might be another division is evenly matched top to bottom but at a lower level of quality. Who knows with this schedule. You just cant draw conclusions this season

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
St. Louis is really feeling the loss of Pietro and Binnington isnt quite the same Binner from a couple of years ago.

1/3 of the blues starting roster is on IR. certainly miss pietro but parayko being sidelined is much more of the impact this season. blues are trudging along on par or sometimes subpar relying on a lot of depth just to fill the roster out.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
The Leafs have played in the epitome of a weak division for years. Couple good teams yes but 3 bad bad teams that helped pad their stats.

Kind of a funny post considering Toronto has had by far the toughest oppnents in the playoffs the last 4 years. Their first 3 years they faced a cup favourite and dominant team.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
1/3 of the blues starting roster is on IR. certainly miss pietro but parayko being sidelined is much more of the impact this season. blues are trudging along on par or sometimes subpar relying on a lot of depth just to fill the roster out.

Whats going on with the Wild? Havnt caught any of their games (didnt think I had to) but they seem to have found some offence to go with that D....or is it that they havnt played the Blues yet? ;)

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
It's a good thing my reasoning is that they only have a 6 point lead with over half a season to go then, instead of just "anything can happen".

The only arguments that aren't well thought out are the ones who are acting like the division is locked up and the only good team is the Leafs. If that isn't blind homerism I honestly don't know what is.
Stating it’s “only a 6 point lead” when you look at the context is silly. 6 points is the largest lead any division leader has in the league right now. Every other division is separated by 1 game or less. Pro rate that 6 point lead out to a full season and you’re looking at a 22 point lead. And there is a reason for that: top to bottom the Leafs are just a different class of team from the rest of that division. They’re out scoring their opponents by an average of over 1 goal per game. The Leafs have top offensive talent challenged only by Edmonton, great forward depth (better than Edmonton) good enough goaltending, and their defensive group really isn’t an issue as long as they’re playing within the North division.

Is the division a lock? No. But to say that you don’t think that the best team in the division is going to win the division because they’re “only 6 points ahead of their division” isn’t an argument. You’re just sticking your finger up in the air to see which way the wind is blowing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->