Top 15 NHL Teams by Points %

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
Over half a season left dude. But yeah, it's over. Done. Locked up. Just start the playoffs tomorrow. Never has a professional sports team ever lost a few games in a row. Absolutely crazy idea. How the f*** do you even justify how a team could possibly stumble a bit? Am I supposed to provide some in depth analytics that prove next week the Leafs will lose 2 games? Or if a team gets hot, do the stats prove that the team will stay hot, justifying the opinion that nobody can catch them?

You're essentially saying they won't stumble at all because of how the first 20 games have gone, and telling me I need to provide some proof that shows us they will stumble with 35 games left? How the f*** would someone even do that? Montreal started out red hot. Guess what, they stumbled. If you don't think it's at all possible for the Leafs to do the same then that's your opinion, and you're welcome to it. I won't ask you to justify it.

Good grief.
Disingenuous straw man argument. I literally said no, the division isn’t a lock. But if you’re going to just throw a blanket statement out there that the best team in the division is not going to win the division, you should back it up rather than going to ‘anything can happen’. Which is the basis of your entire argument.

Yes the Leafs are going to lose games. So aren’t other teams. But the best team in the division should be expected to lose fewer games. So you suggesting that the Leafs are going to lose a few games doesn’t add any value to your opinion.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
Disingenuous straw man argument. I literally said no, the division isn’t a lock. But if you’re going to just throw a blanket statement out there that the best team in the division is not going to win the division, you should back it up rather than going to ‘anything can happen’. Which is the basis of your entire argument.

Yes the Leafs are going to lose games. So aren’t other teams. But the best team in the division should be expected to lose fewer games. So you suggesting that the Leafs are going to lose a few games doesn’t add any value to your opinion.
Your entire premise is that what has happened so far indicates nothing will change over the next 35 games because stats. That's like saying McDavid pacing for 140 points after 10 games is a more likely possibility than not hitting 140 points over the remaining 70 games because I can't prove he'll cool off.

Like I said, the Oilers could very well win tonight and tomorrow and all of a sudden the Leafs are up by a single game. If in that situation you still think it unlikely anyone has a chance to catch them I really don't know what to tell you. You say I have no proof to back up my opinion, but I don't even know how I or anyone else could possibly do so. Much like the only reasoning you have is that they've done really well so far, so that won't change at all. Every team in the North has had a rough patch except the Leafs, and they've only played their biggest competition once so far. I think they will have one, though I cannot provide stats for you to show this will happen. That's why I said initially that "I don't believe" instead of "they won't". A point a lot of quick to anger people seem to conveniently have skipped.

I gave a detailed post as to why I have the opinion I do. If you don't want to read it that's fine. There's quite literally nothing I can say or do beyond sitting back and watching the second HALF of the season play out. Real emphasis on the HALF, which is why "things could happen" is also perfectly reasonably part of my opinion given the relatively small points separating the three top teams.

I love how "they're the best team in a trash division and nobody can challenge them" is acceptable at this point in the season and "things could very likely change because I don't think that's true" is unacceptable. A 6 point lead with 35 to go is acceptable facts to back up the first line of thought, and completely invalidates the second line of thought? I don't believe that's how it works.

Last edited:

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
It's subjective but certainly no one envisioned Chicago was going to do this well after considering that Toews, Dach and Nylander would be out all year, one of their goalies was a rookie and the other two are retread castaways, at least 5 rookies play every games, sometimes 6 and a couple times 7 rookies suited up a game, plus there are 2 2nd year players with less than 100 NHL games.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018

You’re complaining at this poster for saying it’s not guaranteed the leafs win the division because he’s not providing statistical proof of it, something that doesn’t exist. Yet you’re providing no statistical proof of the opposite. The leafs have been the best team in the division so far, that’s clear. But there doesn’t need to be any statistical evidence for someone to have an opinion that that may not continue. And definitely not this much back and forth, especially when you agree it’s not a lock.

Reactions: GOilers88

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
You’re complaining at this poster for saying it’s not guaranteed the leafs win the division because he’s not providing statistical proof of it, something that doesn’t exist. Yet you’re providing no statistical proof of the opposite. The leafs have been the best team in the division so far, that’s clear. But there doesn’t need to be any statistical evidence for someone to have an opinion that that may not continue. And definitely not this much back and forth, especially when you agree it’s not a lock.
I absolutely regret the timing of my initial post. It was pretty stupid and I knew I'd be mobbed for it and sure I deserve it and I'll eat it. But I'm blown away by how outlandish people think it is that the Leafs could possibly slump with more than half a season left. Like it's the most insane, batshit crazy, delusional thing anyone could possibly say based on the mountains of data that prove the lead they currently have is totally insurmountable.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I absolutely regret the timing of my initial post. It was pretty stupid and I knew I'd be mobbed for it and sure I deserve it and I'll eat it. But I'm blown away by how outlandish people think it is that the Leafs could possibly slump with more than half a season left. Like it's the most insane, batshit crazy, delusional thing anyone could possibly say based on the mountains of data that prove the lead they currently have is totally insurmountable.
I do think it’s likely they win the division at this point, but yeah it’s far from a guarantee especially with all the games being inter division. Annoying that you can’t say your opinion without being mobbed for it because it’s not pro leaf enough.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I do think it’s likely they win the division at this point, but yeah it’s far from a guarantee especially with all the games being inter division. Annoying that you can’t say your opinion without being mobbed for it because it’s not pro leaf enough.

Should people not discuss their opinions on the topic? Are we limiting what people can respond to? Or is their a limit on who can respond? I didnt see anyone being unreasonable (although I have a bunch Leaf fans on ignore, so could have missed some), just not agreeing with the OPs stance based on what ifs and maybes. I wouldn't call that mobbing.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
All 3 FLA and CAR games have gone to OT/SO, been a hard fought 3 games so far.
CAR is only team FLA doesn't have a winning record against in the Central.
Happy to take a break from the buzzsaw defense of DAL and CAR for a while.
Looks like TB will take 1st and then the two teams above for 2nd or 3rd.

Don't know if CHI will keep up this pace but they can definitely lock down 4th if DAL and NSH don't wake up.
CBJ looks like Torts has possibly lost the room?
Watched some of their two games with NSH and wasn't impressed.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Should people not discuss their opinions on the topic? Are we limiting what people can respond to? Or is their a limit on who can respond? I didnt see anyone being unreasonable (although I have a bunch Leaf fans on ignore, so could have missed some), just not agreeing with the OPs stance based on what ifs and maybes. I wouldn't call that mobbing.
Absolutely people should be able to discuss their opinions, even the poster I’m agreeing with but he was told he needed that he needs statistical proof for the opinion that he thinks the leafs will fall off a bit at some point several times, and no there is no limit to who may respond, but if the one poster will repeat himself over and over without providing any statistical evidence himself, all while actually agreeing with the first poster, then yes it’s a little redundant and unnecessary

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Oh I get it now. You're just an upset Oilers fan cause the Leafs beat you last night.

It doesn't matter who wins that division and who comes out of the playoffs in that division. They're going to get run over by the other top teams in the league. Whether that's Toronto, Edmonton, or Winnipeg none of them are legit cup contenders.
and just when i thought you were making progress pierce.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad