Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time - Round 2, Vote 7

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Yeah, Brodeur is an easy one/#1 here...I don't think it's particularly close either...it's a little bit of a crime, let's call it a petty misdemeanor, that he wasn't put in last round...I also had him in my top 20 in my prelim and I hate goalies in this thing...not top 30 for him is a tough way to go...

Larry Robinson is a guy that I think should get a long, long look despite being new to this...he's a strong early candidate for my top 3, he was an absolute force out there...

I'm actually anti-Ted Lindsay, relatively speaking, in the same way that I didn't care as much for Maurice Richard as much as the rest of the group...Lindsay just plays this hard working, but not overly intelligent game it seems like...incomplete player, forced into the NHL early because he came in during some pretty weak times (mid to late 40's)...he's got a boatload of AS teams, but the combination of him being on the best line in hockey and facing a boatload of zeroes for LW competition until Dickie Moore came along makes me wary of that given what I've seen of him...

Actually the 1940s probably saw the greatest number of changes in the structure of hockey throughout the NHL and Canada. Multiple rule changes generated by the Center Red Line. 1945 NHL/CAHA agreement. Structure for youth hockey starting from the pre-teen level with the bonus of quality coaches.

Many of the players entering the NHL had to recycle their skills. Some became polished,others like Ted Lindsay remained raw.

Another point about Lindsay, most skaters thru the O6 era were multi-sport athletes. Lindsay was a hockey player.

Last edited:

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
- Cook has a great chance to make it. Remained a strong contributor until he was 40 during a time when players generally declined at a younger age... I wonder if part of that longevity can be attributed to getting a late start to professional hockey? Maybe less wear and tear on the body?
Two-sided coin, that one. Cook lost development/production years corresponding to playing ages 19-20-21-22-23. (The age 23 year seems to be after discharge. Maybe he needed time to re-adjust to "civilian life"[?]) It's not quite the same as the in-service loss of playing time that you see with the likes of Milt Schmidt or Roy Conacher- but still... whoa.

Cook doesn't have as much of a blatantly obvious case for breveting as Makarov did last round- but it's in the ballpark.

Now we officially got into my 60s...
Not there yet with me- although one of the recent arrivals got me into the '50s.

When the high-name recognition Goaltender who possibly wasn't even the best Goaltender of his era gets nominated, THEN we'll be into MY 60s.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
We got in my late 40ies last round. The new candidates range from late 20ies to early 40ies.

The good thing is, everyone can move.

Reactions: ted2019

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
All valid points. I do wonder how much was Trottier's offensive numbers tied to Bossy himself? He went from 72 to 123 points when Bossy joined the team, and his production tapered off long before Bossy's did. Bossy wasn't completely absent from Hart ballots himself.

Oh, no doubt that Bossy was a better offensive player in a vacuum.

I think he certainly helped increase Trottier's production. But a goal scorer like Mike also needed a pivot who could maximize his talents, which Trots did.

But even still, Trots was getting more adulation in postseason things like the Hart, which show value. And his record there is quite a bit better than Bossy.

This is exactly what I was being long winded about with Jagr. You can put up big numbers in one zone but that doesn't mean you're a better hockey player. I don't even care if you have the best flair in the world doing it. Hockey is about more than just filling the net and that's Bossy's only real asset in a setting like this.

Trottier scored plenty (offense isn't much lower than Bossy's) but, as I said yesterday, he brings so much more to the table as a hockey player.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Yeah, Brodeur is an easy one/#1 here...I don't think it's particularly close either...it's a little bit of a crime, let's call it a petty misdemeanor, that he wasn't put in last round...I also had him in my top 20 in my prelim and I hate goalies in this thing...not top 30 for him is a tough way to go...

Larry Robinson is a guy that I think should get a long, long look despite being new to this...he's a strong early candidate for my top 3, he was an absolute force out there...

I'm actually anti-Ted Lindsay, relatively speaking, in the same way that I didn't care as much for Maurice Richard as much as the rest of the group...Lindsay just plays this hard working, but not overly intelligent game it seems like...incomplete player, forced into the NHL early because he came in during some pretty weak times (mid to late 40's)...he's got a boatload of AS teams, but the combination of him being on the best line in hockey and facing a boatload of zeroes for LW competition until Dickie Moore came along makes me wary of that given what I've seen of him...

Ted Lindsay's competition at LW was lack luster at best. Here are the list of players that were 1st or 2nd team LW AS during the 1947/48 to 1958-59 seasons
Real Chevrefils
Bert Olmstead
Gaye Stewart
Tony Leswick
Roy Conacher
Sid Smith
Ed Sandford
Danny Lewicki
Camille Henry
Alex Delvecchio
Dickie Moore

Several players had either career seasons or were had 2 to 3 year peaks in their game.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Also, does Yzerman's poor post season AS record hurt him?

Maybe a little but one has to remember that in the late 80's and early 90's he was automatically going to finish 3rd or worse because of Mario and Wayne.

His AS record from 88 to 93 was 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6.

No shame in finishing behind 99 and 66. Without those 2 playing he'd look a lot better on the surface in terms of AS voting.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Actually the 1940s probably saw the greatest number of changes in the structure of hockey throughout the NHL and Canada.....

Many of the players entering the NHL had to recycle their skills. Some became polished,others like Ted Lindsay remained raw.

Another point about Lindsay, most skaters thru the O6 era were multi-sport athletes. Lindsay was a hockey player.

Yeah, Ted basically born to it as his father had played professionally (Goalie) with the old Renfrew Millionaires which when combined with environment growing up in Kirkland Lake (Gold mining town) during the Great Depression not a lot of other sport options, hockey King.... every other house with a backyard rink, schools & parks with usually 2 or 3 rinks, winters arriving early, leaving late. Cold snaps? Try 40-60 below though the avg around -10, -15.... Hardscrabble town with the mine there the largest in the British Empire, most productive operating 24/7-365.

Ted's first pair of oversized skates were hand-me-downs from a neighbor, taking to the game like a proverbial Duck, skating to & from school etc... his father scraped together the $4.75 required to buy the then more popular "Red Horner" model put out by CCM, the Leafs hardrock Captain at the time... Kirkland Lake picked up radio signals from both Toronto & Detroit, Lindsays' favorite players being Black Jack Stewart & Jimmy Orlando... which of course speaks volumes in & of itself but important to remember that that type of player, style of game & play, thats the way it was, what was required & demanded, expected of players, by the Scouts & Coaches, fans... Lindsay at just 5'8" & 150lbs pound for pound probably the toughest little MOFO the games ever seen before or since. No fear.

So ya, he was "raw" alrighty. As raw as a crosscheck to the teeth. He and fellow Kirkland Laker Gus Mortson heading to St.Mikes, "borrowed" by Oshawa for the Memorial Cup, winning, signing a "no-demotion to the minors" one-way contract with Detroit, a first for a Rookie.... the rest as they say... history. 4 Cups. Art Ross winner. 9X All Star....

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Larry Robinson played less than half of Montreal's PP (49) and PK (45) time.

Guy Lapointe played a good bit more on special teams at 64% on the PP and 53% on the kill.

Serge Savard was used more on the kill as well at a team high 58%.

Savard and Robinson tied for most usage at even strength, not surprising given they played together often as far as I recall. Lapointe was just 1% less than those two.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I actually like Yzerman over all of Bossy, Lindsay, Robinson, and Trottier, but I expect I’ll be in the minority there.
I think Yzerman is VASTLY underrated by some of the comments I've read. However, I still have Big Bird and Trottier ahead of him... at this point.

Yzerman could do it all as a center man. He could score, he could set up plays. And, as was proven, he could play elite defense and lead. He's penalized by having his best offensive years during the Red Wings rebuild era, which meant his big numbers were overshadowed by a lack of team success (after all, he couldn't do it all by himself).

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Also, does Yzerman's poor post season AS record hurt him?

I think what hurts him the most is that Young Yzerman and Old Yzerman were never simultaneously embodied by Steve Yzerman.

That fictionnal Steve Yzerman would've been about on par with Trottier (take out some grit and add a bit of goalscoring, and would probably end up on top due to better longevity). But it never existed.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
All valid points. I do wonder how much was Trottier's offensive numbers tied to Bossy himself? He went from 72 to 123 points when Bossy joined the team, and his production tapered off long before Bossy's did. Bossy wasn't completely absent from Hart ballots himself.
Eh - he had 95 points his rookie season with no Bossy though. They benefited from each other, but I don't think Trottier *relied* on Bossy for his offense.

Note - I do think that Potvin had a huge impact on their offense though.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Larry Robinson played less than half of Montreal's PP (49) and PK (45) time.

Guy Lapointe played a good bit more on special teams at 64% on the PP and 53% on the kill.

Serge Savard was used more on the kill as well at a team high 58%.

Savard and Robinson tied for most usage at even strength, not surprising given they played together often as far as I recall. Lapointe was just 1% less than those two.

I see Guy Lapointe as very underrated. Just sayin'...…..

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I think what hurts him the most is that Young Yzerman and Old Yzerman were never simultaneously embodied by Steve Yzerman.

That fictionnal Steve Yzerman would've been about on par with Trottier (take out some grit and add a bit of goalscoring). But it never existed.

Great way to summarize Stevie. I loved him as a player, but I remember more of the 2nd half of his career.

But his career was sort of split in two in terms of on ice product. Early on you had an offensive star, playing on some really bad Detroit teams. They needed him to play a certain way so to speak because they had little else but post 30 you saw him transform into a more two way C. His scoring sagged but he took to Bowman's coaching and became a Selke quality C and the Wings became a quasi dynasty of sorts in the late 90's.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
On a separate note... I guess I'm a little surprised that there was no call for Kharlamov to be included around this time, nor is there any outrage or even question marks that his name has still not come up. I'm not saying that it's wrong, but am I wrong to be surprised?

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
On a separate note... I guess I'm a little surprised that there was no call for Kharlamov to be included around this time, nor is there any outrage or even question marks that his name has still not come up. I'm not saying that it's wrong, but am I wrong to be surprised?

#30 and #35 respectively on the former top 100 and the top 70 lists from the past. Makarov's stock has really risen since then, though. Kharlamov's lost his position as the greatest Soviet forward of all time.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

We aren't quite there for wingers.
In the Wingers project, Kharlamov finished 13th.

Bill Cook, Mike Bossy and Ted Lindsay, available this round, finished respectively 7th, 8th and 10th.
The player ranked 9th was Alex Ovechkin, who did add quite a bit between the Wingers project and this one.

Wingers ranked 11th (Charlie Conacher) and 12th (Bernard Geoffrion) aren't available for voting, and while Conacher wouldn't look THAT bad in this group, it would still feel a bit early... And I know for a fact that I'm probably the highest on Conacher in this whole project.

Hence why, I suppose, no one is surprised.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland

I'm not surprised in the sense that in recent years the trend here on THOH has been that Kharlamov is considered somewhat overrated.

Personally, I think he had a terrific peak (approx. 1972-76), and that hasn't been overrated much, but his prime was indeed shorter (it ended after that first car accident in 1976) than with many other Soviet players. His domestic numbers are quite underwhelming too - easily the worst among his forward line. So, 'on paper' he doesn't look that special. For what it's worth, I think Kharlamov is the next best Soviet forward/player after Makarov and Fetisov (along with Firsov, I hope they become available together!).

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
We aren't quite there for wingers.
In the Wingers project, Kharlamov finished 13th.

Bill Cook, Mike Bossy and Ted Lindsay, available this round, finished respectively 7th, 8th and 10th.
The player ranked 9th was Alex Ovechkin, who did add quite a bit between the Wingers project and this one.

Wingers ranked 11th (Charlie Conacher) and 12th (Bernard Geoffrion) aren't available for voting, and while Conacher wouldn't look THAT bad in this group, it would still feel a bit early.

Hence why, I suppose, no one is surprised.
I was looking at it more as the Soviet hierarchy, instead of winger hierarchy. I'm a little surprised that Kharlamov isn't ranked closer to Makarov.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
In an effort to avoid surprise votes, I am posting this so people can see my thought process and tell me why I'm wrong. Or in a far less likely scenario, why I'm right. In the process, maybe we learn something, or make an argument that needs to be made, or come up with funny insults for Mike. Maybe that helps somehow.

Where people stand on my ballot as of now:
  • Bill Cook
Low. As a regular season performer he is akin to Bossy, with a longevity advantage. In the playoffs, he has the worst showings here. Even when his Bread Line centre was knocking it out of the park, Cook's scoring numbers are average in the postseason. Closer to Marcel Dionne than Mike Bossy in that regard. Of course, I had Frank Boucher pegged above Cook coming in. Whereas everyone else here has had very strong or dominant playoff runs, Bill Cook stood beside a guy who had a couple. In short, someone is going to have to convince me that his playoffs aren't a reason to drop him to the bottom of the round with Ted.
  • Bryan Trottier
  • Mike Bossy
Middle. Had Trottier over Bossy last round, but I think I'm flipping. I don't know if Trottier adds a lot compared to Bossy in his extra time. He's stronger defensively, but I don't know if that shows up in numbers. In his limited time, Bossy seemed to do more to help the post-dynasty Isles try to get back to the mountain top, while Trottier's defensive skills weren't actually stopping the other team from scoring goals late in the Isles run. There is a difference between valuing defensive play because it's effectively preventing goals, and liking defensive play because you like it. The -6 in 1987 against the Flyers and the -9 with 0 goals on-ice-for in 1988 look pretty bad if the guy's supposed to be a defensive stalwart.
  • Cyclone Taylor
  • Newsy Lalonde
Probably the last guys who can claim to be the best player in the world for a good stretch of time, but you can reasonably convince me to put them anywhere. They won lots of scoring titles, but I suppose there were more to go around. Taylor won 5 PCHA scoring titles after becoming a centre/rover. Before any of that, as an ECAHA All-Star defender, he earned a cool nickname and was a member of the 1909 Stanley Cup Champions in Ottawa. Lalonde outscored a young linemate named Bill Cook in the WCHL in his mid 30s to win a 7th league scoring title across 4 leagues (also PCHA, and counting NHA and NHL as separate). Currently thinking middle-to-high, with an edge to Cyclone's goal scoring in the 1915 and 1918 Finals over Newsy whacking Nighbor in the face with his stick in 1917 and a great run cut short by the Spanish Flu in 1919.
  • Joe Sakic
High. Long period of sustained very-goodness offensively, with strong two-way play on the back end of his career. With the 2000-01 Hart year, Smythe calibre playoffs which Forsberg missed the last half of, and a 2002 Olympics run, he might be able to claim he's the best in the world, albeit for a short time. The most consistent playoff performer of the bunch, with peak years that are as prolific as Bossy and Trottier during the Isles dynasty, and you don't even need to adjust for Sakic's lower scoring era.
  • Larry Robinson
Middle. I like Robinson. He does everything. Good offensively, tying Lafleur for the playoff points lead in one of Lafleur's best years, but just a little behind the guys who have already gone. Big, tough defender who could throw checks and spent relatively little time in the box for a player of that type. Even as a King was very good positionally and hard for most to get around (albeit as a King, not giving away the puck through the middle of his own zone made him unique). Checks boxes for prime, longevity, playoffs.
  • Martin Brodeur
High. I believe I had him in my Top 2 two rounds in a row. Super longevity. His trophy case fills a truck in that Enterprise commercial even though Hasek's MVP years cost him a pair of Vezinas and a pair of years of being a Hart finalist (fine, maybe those don't need a truck). Probably had a greater number of impactful playoff series than Bobby Clarke did by the year 2000. And I hear he kept going for a while after that.
  • Steve Yzerman
Below Sakic. That probably has been covered a lot, though perhaps should be reiterated. Thinking above Trottier. Beats Trottier on longevity. Brought a lot of the same intangibles later on in his career. Yzerman was more of an independent variable in point production, and demonstrated that he could produce with linemates of varying quality. In a round with representation from arguably the 2nd best players from the Bread Line, Production Line, and Trio Grande, it should be noted that Steve Yzerman posted a Pearson-winning campaign with Gerard Gallant and Paul Maclean.
  • Ted Lindsay
Low. I imagine is the consensus is Ted behind Sawchuk?
  • Terry Sawchuk
Low. He had an elite run from 1951-55 that's in the same ballpark as the best from anybody else. Then a long run as mostly average, when average was pretty good, with the bonus chance that he might help you steal a playoff series (in the 1960s, he was in net for three 4th-place teams and a 3rd-place team that made the Finals). A good example of save percentage being influenced by the team in front of a goaltender.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Good idea. And as you expected, it's easiest/most interesting to focus on where we disagree.

In an effort to avoid surprise votes, I am posting this so people can see my thought process and tell me why I'm wrong. Or in a far less likely scenario, why I'm right. In the process, maybe we learn something, or make an argument that needs to be made, or come up with funny insults for Mike. Maybe that helps somehow.

Where people stand on my ballot as of now:
  • Bill Cook
Low. As a regular season performer he is akin to Bossy, with a longevity advantage. In the playoffs, he has the worst showings here. Even when his Bread Line centre was knocking it out of the park, Cook's scoring numbers are average in the postseason. Closer to Marcel Dionne than Mike Bossy in that regard. Of course, I had Frank Boucher pegged above Cook coming in. Whereas everyone else here has had very strong or dominant playoff runs, Bill Cook stood beside a guy who had a couple. In short, someone is going to have to convince me that his playoffs aren't a reason to drop him to the bottom of the round with Ted.

I don't see it. How many times does Bossy lead the hockey world in scoring? Even pretending Gretzky didn't exist? Cook did it 3-4 times, depending on what you think of the first year he led the WCHL in scoring.

Also, Cook was one of the most physical players of his era and a great leader. Like, more noteworthy than Trottier in both those regards. What did Bossy bring other than offense?
Middle. I like Robinson. He does everything. Good offensively, tying Lafleur for the playoff points lead in one of Lafleur's best years, but just a little behind the guys who have already gone. Big, tough defender who could throw checks and spent relatively little time in the box for a player of that type. Even as a King was very good positionally and hard for most to get around (albeit as a King, not giving away the puck through the middle of his own zone made him unique). Checks boxes for prime, longevity, playoffs.

I'll tell you one thing Robinson didn't do - QB the PP at an elite level. His PP numbers are more like Chris Chelios than they are like any of the defensemen who have been added so far. I realize that he was stuck behind Guy Lapointe on the Montreal PP while the Big 4 were together, but still, at no point in his career, did Robinson show he was an elite PP player.

• Ted Lindsay
  • Low. I imagine is the consensus is Ted behind Sawchuk?
I'm not sure Lindsay should be below Sawchuk. Lindsay actually has some noteworthy accomplishments (including his Art Ross) before Detroit was a superteam. I could go either way there.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad