Top 10 Toughest Bruins

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
So, I'm flipping through the Maxim mag that came in the mail today, Toughest Athletes article...fitting...there's Milan Lucic...

Maxim has been pretty good to the Bruins of late, they've had articles on Thornton and Seidenberg over the past year too...

Oh dear, Habs fans aren't going to like that. :laugh:

I'll have to check it out at Barnes and Noble. What's the issue date?

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Oh dear, Habs fans aren't going to like that. :laugh:

I'll have to check it out at Barnes and Noble. What's the issue date?

October 2014.

I think the Seids and Thornton one was when Maxim was giving athletes/celebrities $500 each month and telling them to go spend it in their cities. So, naturally, they went to the North End and stuff...

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
October 2014.

I think the Seids and Thornton one was when Maxim was giving athletes/celebrities $500 each month and telling them to go spend it in their cities. So, naturally, they went to the North End and stuff...

I recall hearing something about that.

Thanks. I'll check it out on Saturday. That's B&N day for my son and me. :)

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
Tough is such a tough word to define in hockey, and Gary Doak and Bobby Orr laid down in front of Bobby Hull's shot without today's equipment and no helmets. Nuts. And for Orr to play through so many actual surgeries ... once "tough" gets beyond fistic prowess (Orr was pretty solid there, too) he absolutely is among their 10 toughest. Making the list is impossible, I get that. Modern-era fighters?

In no particular order ...
Jonathan
O'Reilly
Edestrand
Orr
Sanderson
Carleton
Byers
Shawn Thornton
Chara
Jay Miller

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Tough is such a tough word to define in hockey, and Gary Doak and Bobby Orr laid down in front of Bobby Hull's shot without today's equipment and no helmets. Nuts. And for Orr to play through so many actual surgeries ... once "tough" gets beyond fistic prowess (Orr was pretty solid there, too) he absolutely is among their 10 toughest. Making the list is impossible, I get that. Modern-era fighters?

Jonathan
O'Reilly
Edestrand
Orr
Sanderson
Carleton
Byers
Shawn Thornton
Chara
Jay Miller

Edestrand was well known for beating up Orr but other than that?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Jonathan
O'Reilly
Edestrand
Orr
Sanderson
Carleton
Byers
Shawn Thornton
Chara
Jay Miller
Carlelton over Cashman- Carlton on the list? missing that Mick; also, Neely was not a bad fighter- forget the end of the line guy who fought Wendell Clark; he fought to hurt. Nothing staged there.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Cam Neely
Gregory Campbell
Wayne Cashman
Jay Miller
John Wensink
Shawn Thornton
Stan Jonathan
Milan Lucic

Top two still to come, but thoughts so far? I'm not a B's fan so I was unfamiliar with Miller and Wensick, but to me Thornton always felt the toughest, especially because of the "I'll let you pick which hand I beat the fudge out of you with" line.

Have to say this list is missing the guy that should be number one

Eddie Shore

But here's mine and in no order:

Jay Miller
Terry O'Reilly
Stan Jonathan
Ted Green
Cam Neely
Nevin Markwart
Fern Flaman
Jon Weinsink
Chris Nilan
Wayne Cashman

HM:

Shawn Thornton
Brent Hughes
Lyndon Byers
Andrei Navarov
Krsysztov Oliwa
Z Chara
Milan Lucic

Campbell should not be on anyone's list.

Last edited:

member 96824

I'm surprised to see Thornton get more love than a guy like PJ Stock

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

Eddie Shore

Jay Miller
Terry O'Reilly
Stan Jonathan
Ted Green
Cam Neely
Nevin Markwart
Fern Flaman
Jon Weinsink
Chris Nilan
Wayne Cashman

HM:

Shawn Thornton
Brent Hughes
Lyndon Byers
Andrei Navarov
Krsysztov Oliwa
Z Chara
Milan Lucic

Campbell should not be on anyone's list.

Lucic needs to flip spots with Nilan. Chris for the most part was a punching bag with the Bruins. The beating Jim McKenzie gave him was brutal.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Eddie Shore

Jay Miller
Terry O'Reilly
Stan Jonathan
Ted Green
Cam Neely
Nevin Markwart
Fern Flaman
Jon Weinsink
Chris Nilan
Wayne Cashman

I'm confused.

You said "Have to say this list is missing the guy that should be number one Eddie Shore." But then he's not on your list :(

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
all I ever remember of Nilan with the Bruins with that Hartford home game he got about 50 minutes and penalties and the crap beat out of him by McKenzie.

McKenzie hit Nilan with a shot and his helmet came off and I think hit the score board

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
all I ever remember of Nilan with the Bruins with that Hartford home game he got about 50 minutes and penalties and the crap beat out of him by McKenzie.

McKenzie hit Nilan with a shot and his helmet came off and I think hit the score board

Markwart got into a fight like that, can't remember who it was with, but the helmet went about 20 feet in the air. Didn't seem to effect Nevin who kept fighting. Called him ejector helmet after that.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I couldn't stand Nilan, whether he was a Hab, Bruin or anything else.

Glad his stay here was short. Plus, maybe my dislike is clouding my perception, but I find him to be tremendously overrated as a fighter.

Not questioning his toughness, just his ability.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Markwart got into a fight like that, can't remember who it was with, but the helmet went about 20 feet in the air. Didn't seem to effect Nevin who kept fighting. Called him ejector helmet after that.

Kluzak did that to Foligno from Buffalo. First punch sent his helmet flying, second punch sent his head flying, 3rd punch, fight over.

Al Secord deserves at least an honorable mention, maybe Schmautzie too at least for craziness!

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Kluzak did that to Foligno from Buffalo. First punch sent his helmet flying, second punch sent his head flying, 3rd punch, fight over.

Al Secord deserves at least an honorable mention, maybe Schmautzie too at least for craziness!

Kenny Linseman has a well deserved reputation for his stick work, Bobby Schmautz was possibly dirtier with his stick than Linseman. Another guy you feared for your life when he wound up to take a slapshot, nobody knew where it was going.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Kenny Linseman has a well deserved reputation for his stick work, Bobby Schmautz was possibly dirtier with his stick than Linseman. Another guy you feared for your life when he wound up to take a slapshot, nobody knew where it was going.

When Schmautzie wound up at the blue line, the first 4 rows in the balcony instinctively ducked.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Lucic needs to flip spots with Nilan. Chris for the most part was a punching bag with the Bruins. The beating Jim McKenzie gave him was brutal.

Nope not at all. Nilan was one mean guy and could fight. So, he had about 30 fights in his 2 plus seasons with the Bs but that one fight sums it up for you? The guy was feared, and he didn't get Knuckles Nilan because he was a punching bag.

Milan is one tough guy but the game has changed, he really has not walloped on anyone outside Komisarik. He wins fights but he doesn't crush guys like Nilan did. Please don't screw up my meaning here into something I didn't say. Milan is a tough SOB but to me, he doesn't crack the top 10. 35 years of watching and remembering Bruin hockey, it's not like I just started last week.

Last edited:

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
I'm confused.

You said "Have to say this list is missing the guy that should be number one Eddie Shore." But then he's not on your list :(

10 names right? Count the list, it's 9 which means when I stated Eddie Shore's name, he was on the list. I guess I should have doubled up to make it easier.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Showed my dad this thread and he went into this speech about the time wensink challenged the whole north stars bench after he fought someone, sounded like good times.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Nope not at all. Nilan was one mean guy and could fight. So, he had about 30 fights in his 2 plus seasons with the Bs but that one fight sums it up for you? The guy was feared, and he didn't get Knuckles Nilan because he was a punching bag.

Milan is one tough guy but the game has changed, he really has not walloped on anyone outside Komisarik. He wins fights but he doesn't crush guys like Nilan did. Please don't screw up my meaning here into something I didn't say. Milan is a tough SOB but to me, he doesn't crack the top 10. 35 years of watching and remembering Bruin hockey, it's not like I just started last week.

Personally, I think Looch in his prime would tune up Nilan in his prime. Nilan was tough, but Looch has probably 20 pounds on him and is a better fighter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad