Green
Orr
Secord
Schmautz

Highatop308

Only took 4 months!
Jun 23, 2010
308, row 15. seat 28
There should some honuorable mentions with the likes of smaller guys that were pound for pound as tough as they come (if what we mean by is fighting ability). PJ STOCK, Rob DIMAIO and Nevin MARKWART come to mind in that respect and we cant forget that one of the best technical fighters ever was Rick TOCCHET who was a Bruin for a shor period.

Dimaio and Stock are definetely good ones...I've always had a soft spot for Belanger. I was at the Rangers game on that Sunday afternoon in 99 when he hit Ulf Samuelsson from behind into the boards, Ulffy laid motionless for a while and I don't think played again..It was only KB16's 2nd or 3rd game playing in Boston and didn't realize why he was being looked upon as a hero for it. I remember him being phased out by Keenan then demoted to Providence then ultimately released so Keenan could get his boy Andrei Nazarov who like Campbell, I don't think ever won a fight.. and the team grew handlebar mustaches as a silent protest against Keenan for Belanger :yo:

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Are we talking tough as in mean and capable of fighting? If so I wouldn't include Greg Campbell, he essentially closes his eyes and takes a beating every time he drops the gloves.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
O' Reilly
Jonathan
Neely
Chara
Lucic
Thornton
Miller
Byers
Green
Wensink

Milbury, Sanderson, and Cashman are up there too.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Many older names missing, and I can't help but snicker at the Campbell and Bergeron mentions.

Fern Flaman
Orland Kurtenbach
Bob Armstrong
Cal Gardner
etc.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
That I have seen;

Green
Orr
O'Reilly
Wensink
Jonathan
Cashman
Markwart
Neely
Miller
Chara
Lucic
Campbell

This is based on overall toughness not just fighting ability, Markwart and Campbell didn't win many fights but are as tough as anybody who ever wore a Bruins jersey.

Based on what I have read I still think the toughest of all time is Shore.

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
Dimaio and Stock are definetely good ones...I've always had a soft spot for Belanger. I was at the Rangers game on that Sunday afternoon in 99 when he hit Ulf Samuelsson from behind into the boards, Ulffy laid motionless for a while and I don't think played again..It was only KB16's 2nd or 3rd game playing in Boston and didn't realize why he was being looked upon as a hero for it. I remember him being phased out by Keenan then demoted to Providence then ultimately released so Keenan could get his boy Andrei Nazarov who like Campbell, I don't think ever won a fight.. and the team grew handlebar mustaches as a silent protest against Keenan for Belanger :yo:

Is that true? Had never heard it before.

I was always a big Belanger fan too.

Glad to see Byers, Dimaio, and Kurtenbach getting some mention in some of the latest posts, the latter 2 especially. As much of a side show as he was, you probably also have to give Stock at least an honorable mention, if for nothing more than his fights with Peat.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I've always felt Brent Hughes was pretty tough for absorbing all those beatings and taking on a role he was nowhere near equipped for .

I remember years ago at camp a young kid trying to make the team challenged Hughes. Brent kept saying get lost but finally decked the kid. :laugh:

How about Lyndon Byers?

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I've always felt Brent Hughes was pretty tough for absorbing all those beatings and taking on a role he was nowhere near equipped for .

I agree. I give Campbell props for the broken leg thing, but in reality lots of guys on every team play in significant amounts of pain almost every season.

Shore, Chara and Secord belong on that list IMO.

My list: (no particular order)

Shore
Chara
O'Reilly
Wensink
Neely
Secord
Cashman
Jonathan
Thornton
Looch

In the end I think the only thing this discussion proves is that aside from Philly, no team has had as many tough players as the B's.

My list is awesome and it didn't even include guys like;

Byers, Belanger, Tocchett, Stock, Greene, Blum, Markwart, McQuaid, and probably 15 other legit tough guys.

Last edited:

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Loved the Bomber...Darin Kimble wasn't here long, but had some good scraps also.

Oh god, Darin Kimble doing the 2-3 minute leadup way off at the other end of the rink from where a scrum had broken out, with Claude freaking Lemieux, telling him what was about to happen repeatedly before calmly laying down each glove and feeding him was one of the best late 80's/early 90's moments for me, lol.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
mannnnnnn I loved Byers!

Byers tells a great story about Sinden after they drafted him.

Sinden - "we project you to get 30 goals. Think you can do it?"

Byers - "absolutely, no problem there".

Byers - "problem was I didnt know Harry meant all 30 in one year".

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Thing is, Harry wasn't really crazy. LB was a PPG player in the WHL, and wasn't drafted as a goon. He just never translated it to the NHL.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario

This might make it onto a Facebook status, not going to lie.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Thing is, Harry wasn't really crazy. LB was a PPG player in the WHL, and wasn't drafted as a goon. He just never translated it to the NHL.

Harry thought Byers could be like Neely according to Johnny Pearson,right before he picked a fight with Kordic. Johnny says,"No,not Kordic!".

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I think he's referring to technique. Cam got pissed and just started firing, no shadow boxing, or defense...just throw bombs angrily..

Exactly - and it was because of this a lot of his tilts just ended up being sloppy.

Not that I am not a fan of the raw energy and emotion that led him to that place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad