Top 10 Swedish Hockey Players of All Time?

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
1 Lidström
2 Forsberg
3 Karlsson
4 Henrik Sedin
5 Daniel Sedin
6 Sundin
7 Lundqvist
8 Alfie
9 Salming
10 Zetterberg

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Forsberg is probably the better player, but Lidstrom had the better career. Too many injuries for Forsberg, but when healthy he dominated.
One was arguably the 1st/2nd best D man of all time the other an injury prone forward.Fopa was great don't get me wrong but Lids was just...Lids.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
1 Lidström
2 Forsberg
3 Karlsson
4 Henrik Sedin
5 Daniel Sedin
6 Sundin
7 Lundqvist
8 Alfie
9 Salming
10 Zetterberg
Solid list , I'd probably swap Z and Alfie because of his shutdowbn ability plus I'm Wings bias.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Solid list , I'd probably swap Z and Alfie because of his shutdowbn ability plus I'm Wings bias.
Maybe, he’s also a bit more versatile and has a conn smythe under his belt. But went with alfie because of longevity.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Lidström
Forsberg
Karlsson
Salming
H. Sedin
Zetterberg
Sundin
Lundqvist
D. Sedin
Bäckström/Hedman/K. Nilsson/M. Näslund

Something like that. After the top 3 I could see anybody but the ones in contention for 10th(plus D. Sedin) having a case really.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Don't know enough to make a list really, but among active younger Swedes, who may make it up there?

For example, does Landy have a shot? 350 pts, 513 gp, about to turn 26, not to mention currently part of one of the most lethal lines in the NHL so he should be getting some nice points here in his prime. Keeping on his current pace, and double the games puts him at 700 pts, 13th all-time for Swedes. Assuming he plays all games, that's only in his early 30s, so no reason he can't hit 800-900 and sit solidly around 10th all-time.

That assumes every other active player currently behind him in points stays that way though. Of active players with 2+ years of experience I'd say at least Forsberg, Rakell, Klingberg and Nylander will overtake him.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
1) Peter Forsberg
2) Nik Lidstrom
3) Erik Karlsson
5a) Henrik Sedin
5b) Daniel Sedin
6) Hakan Loob
7) Henrik Lundqvist
8) Victor Hedman
9) Niklas Backstrom
10) Mats Sundin

lmao... Hakan Loob is better than Sundin? MS is better and it's not close at all. Also, where's Salming?

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
1) Nik Lidstrom
2) Peter Forsberg
3) Borje Salming
4) Henrik Sedin
5) Daniel Sedin
6) Mats Sundin
7) Daniel Alfredsson
8) Erik Karlsson
9) Kent Nilsson
10)Henrik Zetterberg
Hm: Hakan Loob, Henrik Lundqvist

Karlsson will move up when his career ends.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Sundin over the Sedins?

You can definitely argue it and I would rank him higher even though they both won the Art Ross and he didn't.

Scoring finishes:

Top five:

Sundin: One
H. Sedin: Two
D. Sedin: One

Top ten:

Sundin: Two
H. Sedin: Three
D. Sedin: Two

Top 15:

Sundin: Six
H. Sedin: Five
D. Sedin: Four

Top 20:

Sundin: Eight
H. Sedin: Six
D. Sedin: Five

Top 30:

Sundin: 12
H. Sedin Eight
D. Sedin: Seven

They played together throughout their careers, which was advantageous. Sundin was a much better goal scorer than Henrik, although Henrik has the defensive advantage. Internationally, Sundin was better than the Sedins.

Reactions: Slimmy

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Only counting NHL + International (I have no idea about European Leagues):

1. Lidstrom
2. Forsberg
3. Karlsson or Salming
4. Karlsson or Salming
5. Lundqvist
6. Sundin or Zetterberg
7. Sundin or Zetterberg
8. Alfredsson
9. H. Sedin
10. Backstrom

HMs: D. Sedin, Markus Naslund, Hedman, Loob, Nilsson.

Last edited:

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Most top10 swedes are from 90s hockey which is sad. We need better players asap.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
Most top10 swedes are from 90s hockey which is sad. We need better players asap.

I believe that is just because we can look at those players careers in total and also the age demographic in this site tends to look at the 90s with rose-colored glasses a bit. Sweden right now had one of the best crops of young players of any country in hockey history, just need to give this generation time. 20 years from now Lidstrom and Forsberg may be the only players from the 90s left on that list.

Honest M

May 11, 2012
I would put it:

1. Forsberg - for a period best player in the world
2. Lidstrom - for a long period best d in the world
3-5. Lundqvist, Karlsson, Salming... not easy.. is Salming no1, heck, maybe redo..?
5 Sundin, Sedin, Sedin, Alfredsson, Backstrom, Hedman, Zetterberg, Naslund, Loob, Nilsson and so on.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
One was arguably the 1st/2nd best D man of all time the other an injury prone forward.Fopa was great don't get me wrong but Lids was just...Lids.
I agree Lidstrom is probably first over Forsberg but put him 1st/2nd best defenseman of all time is the reason why he is clearly overrated too. No way he was better than Orr and Bourque.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad