Top 10 Forwards In The North Division

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I haven't seen anything from Tavares that warrants him being on the list of Top 10 players thus far this season. He has 10 points even strength. Ehlers, and Boeser have both had better seasons thus far. If you go back and use previous seasons im sure he's an easy choice for top 10, but not this season.

turnagainoutlaw

Apr 1, 2013
Yukon
Who are the best 10 forwards playing up North? For me:

1. McDavid
2. Matthews
3. Draisaitl
4. Marner
5. Schiefele
6. Tavares
7. Pettersson
8. Wheeler
9. M.Tkachuk
10. Miller

The first few are pretty obvious but near the end it gets tough. I have a "just missed the cut" list but I want to hear others rankings first. Let me know if you disagree/agree with anything.

Fire away!
Replace Tkachuck with Lindholm, he's the flames best forward.

ARoggy94

Dec 9, 2013
Ottawa
Thats why the north has a bad rap, the top 10 D is kinda sad

Chabot
Petry
Rielly
Weber
Hughes
Brodie
Barrie
Nurse
Morrisey
Muzzin

All solid, but for top 10 D in a division its kinda pathetic
think this is a more interesting discussion than arguing between who should be 4 and who should be like 5/6/7.

in saying this, in the handful of flames games i've watched Tanev has been great. im thrilled with Brodie as a leaf fan but if we had Tanev there instead I would be just as thrilled.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
You could even say Marner is 3rd right now. Draisaitl has been injured for a while. He has looked off for a good 2 weeks. Affecting his skating. Missed practice a few times to rest. I would have Marner at #2 honestly. He has been having a great year. #1 in ES points
As much as i love Mitch he is in no way better than Draisaitl. Even if he looked better last night. Draisaitl being a big goal scoring C makes him more valuable than what Mitch does. Even though Mitch is one of the best of his ilk.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
i can see why you would say that after the start of this year. but i cant name 10 better than him. he is still an elite center.

When he finishes as a PPG player, playing 2nd line minutes, getting 5 less minutes per night than Matthews, people will keep hating on him, while he continues being elite for the next few years. It's all good... When the roughest start you've had in a while leaves you 4 points out of the top 10 in NHL scoring, you're going to be fine.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
When he finishes as a PPG player, playing 2nd line minutes, getting 5 less minutes per night than Matthews, people will keep hating on him, while he continues being elite for the next few years. It's all good... When the roughest start you've had in a while leaves you 4 points out of the top 10 in NHL scoring, you're going to be fine.

I mean, he's also tied with or behind 10+ North division players ;)

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I mean, he's also tied with or behind 10+ North division players ;)

No argument here. But a lot of people are overreacting to 20'ish games, IMO. Especially when he's just off a PPG pace and has had a revolving door of wingers, and Toronto has split their PP units, with Tavares and Nylander on the 2nd unit, with Matthews and Marner getting the majority of the run on the first group.

I think his slight drop off in production has been a product of Matthews leaching more of his minutes and the split powerplay.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
As a neutral id personally have Matthews over Drai.

And as a Jets fan, I don’t understand non Jets fans putting either Wheeler or Connor over Ehlers, not even if you go a few seasons back.

Are they basing this purely of pts? Because nothing other than that would warrant it. P60, ES pts, defensive metrics, zone entries etc. Ehlers has them beat in all of it - He has gotten very little toi the last few seasons and no pp1 and still manages respectable pts totals.

I think some Jets fans would even put him ahead of Chef this season. not all tho.

But definitely clearly ahead of both Ol man Wheels and KFC.

Also, what is up with Pettersson being so high up on so many lists?

This is how I see it:

1: McDavid
2: Matthews
3: Draisaitl
4: Marner
5: Scheifele
6: Ehlers
7: Pettersson
8: B. Tkachuck
9 : Gaudreau
10: Boeser

Last edited: