GDT: Top 10 baby!! FINALLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah getting and retaining him for 4 years is good value for a third. Would have much rather not made a move for Eakin.

If we had a bit more time to work with things might have gone better. Eakin was gelling with Laine and Ehlers and our PK improved massively.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Chevy at 1 min 12 sec ! :laugh:

I-love-it-when-a-plan-comes-together-300x220-1.jpg

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Good: he was second among D on his team in p/g and upped his production by 30% from the previous season.

Bad: he had 17 points.

Not helped by playing in a pretty poor development environment at the moment.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
GM Kevin Cheveldayoff concluding availability of the 2020 NHL Draft Topics:

1. Balance of their drafting.
2. His thoughts on Daniel Torgersson.
3. What are the Finnish/Swedish programs doing to produce such good players?
4. Did he consider trading one pick into two or were they targeting certain players?
5. What is his assessment of Anton Johannesson and Tyrel Bauer.
6. Signing Dylan DeMelo and how it impacts their approach to free agency.
7. How would he characterize the trade market and did he notice more calls during the draft?
8. Does he expect it to be busy ahead of free agency?
9. How unique it is given the current reality.
10. Is his next move gonna be within his group of UFAs or does he anticipate it being a move outside of that?
11. The relief getting an area of concern (defence) resolved?
12. Have they created any sort of schedule given a January 1st start projected?
13. Are the centre/blueline still equally areas of need given the DeMelo signing?

To listen click here.

Reactions: Guardian17

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
GM Kevin Cheveldayoff concluding availability of the 2020 NHL Draft Topics:

1. Balance of their drafting.
2. His thoughts on Daniel Torgersson.
3. What are the Finnish/Swedish programs doing to produce such good players?
4. Did he consider trading one pick into two or were they targeting certain players?
5. What is his assessment of Anton Johannesson and Tyrel Bauer.
6. Signing Dylan DeMelo and how it impacts their approach to free agency.
7. How would he characterize the trade market and did he notice more calls during the draft?
8. Does he expect it to be busy ahead of free agency?
9. How unique it is given the current reality.
10. Is his next move gonna be within his group of UFAs or does he anticipate it being a move outside of that?
11. The relief getting an area of concern (defence) resolved?
12. Have they created any sort of schedule given a January 1st start projected?
13. Are the centre/blueline still equally areas of need given the DeMelo signing?

To listen click here.

Reactions: Jets 31

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
I don't think you can call this draft "bad" considering the Jets essentially robbed the bank by picking Cole Perfetti at 10, but I think there was an opportunity at 40 to go back ~10 picks and get an extra 3rd or 4th round pick and still get "your guy", which ended up being Torgersson in this universe. Gunler wasn't getting past Carolina for sure, so not sure why they didn't trade it considering they didn't pick him. But I guess every team's draft lists are a mess and there's certainly no guarantees after the top 15, maybe 10 even.

That being said, this draft year has been lauded for years in terms of the top end forward talent, and though Jets already have a glut of them in the NHL today, the cupboards are rather lacking - no offence to the likes of Nikkanen or Nathan Smith - and getting a few more lottery tickets never hurts. A bit disappointing in the grand scheme of things, but Perfetti is almost instantly the Jets best prospect - yes, including Heinola.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't think you can call this draft "bad" considering the Jets essentially robbed the bank by picking Cole Perfetti at 10, but I think there was an opportunity at 40 to go back ~10 picks and get an extra 3rd or 4th round pick and still get "your guy", which ended up being Torgersson in this universe. Gunler wasn't getting past Carolina for sure, so not sure why they didn't trade it considering they didn't pick him. But I guess every team's draft lists are a mess and there's certainly no guarantees after the top 15, maybe 10 even.

That being said, this draft year has been lauded for years in terms of the top end forward talent, and though Jets already have a glut of them in the NHL today, the cupboards are rather lacking - no offence to the likes of Nikkanen or Nathan Smith - and getting a few more lottery tickets never hurts. A bit disappointing in the grand scheme of things, but Perfetti is almost instantly the Jets best prospect - yes, including Heinola.
I tend to agree, and Chevy alluded to discussions about perhaps moving down, but I don't mind the idea of taking the pick if you really like a player at that stage of the draft. Time will tell whether Torgersson was worth it, but I like his profile. Chevy also alluded to the recent tendency to draft Swedes and Finns, indicating that the flexibility in terms of the runway for development was seen as a positive. I thought that was interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad