Post-Game Talk: Too Much Turkey

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
You just compared McDavid to Khaira.

Compare? I called out a clear double-standard. Two players are at fault for the two goals Hawks scored (not counting the EN). One gets roasted to no end, the other barely gets mentioned even though it was a more egregious error and something that has been happening semi-frequently this season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Didn't watch the game but a lot of posts in this thread makes it sound like Khaira killed their puppy. Seems a bit reactionary considering he's been good to great in the last 4 games at least and his line has put more pressure on the opposition than any of the other lines that doesn't feature McDrai. Looking at the numbers it's quite impressive too considering Khaira has exactly 1 offensive zone start at ES (2 in total) so far this season, Sheahan has 0. Him and Sheahan are doing what a 4th line should be doing. They're not the problem. The other line, the supposed 3rd line doesn't really bring anything to the table. They're getting the easier minutes and they're doing jack squat with it.

Also find it funny how the knives are out for Khaira, but McDavid played 26 minutes, had no points and was responsible for the turnover that led to the game-winning goal, but you don't see much talk in this thread about that or how horrible he is and needs to sit. He's been having some real bad giveaways all season. Big double-standard when it comes to certain players.

Did you even watch the game? Khaira scored in his own net, was behind the play all night. Took two stupid penalties including an ill advised run at Shaw after Shaw made a good hit. So theres Shaw being the antagonizer, just what a useful player does, and theres Khaira being dumb taking two bad penalties on the night.

Khaira also turned the puck over on the Toews breakaway and was responsible for that play.

Again Khaira was -3 on a team that had won every game and was +9 goal differential. Worst on team, and hard to do.

"good to great, quite impressive" You're kidding me

Sheahan has been great and the only reason Khaira's statline isn't worse. But he can't even hold up a player that just isn't engaged on most nights. Anybody Khaira has played with this season is a better player than he is..

Reactions: Messrules11

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Team worst -3, zero points on a 5-1 team is good to great? Gotcha.

Did you read my earlier post? He's a 4th liner and has exactly 1 offensive zone start at ES this season. Despite that his line has consistently been able to put a lot of pressure on in the offensive zone and hem the other team in. For a 4th line to do that, especially with those zone starts, is pretty impressive. If Patrick Russell had more finish to his game that line probably has at least 1 or 2 goals. But yeah stare yourself blind at those boxcars instead.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I’d probably give arch another game because he has at least been getting chances. Khaira for sure should sit next game. Maybe roll out

Leon Connor Kass
Nygard Nuge Neal
Jurco Sheahan Chiasson
Russell Hass Archibald

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The yardage is deceiving because the Packers were playing from behind the entire game. It's like a hockey team outshooting their opponent by double digits after being down multiple goals most of the game.

The Packers made some mistakes but so did the Lions (dropped TD pass and dropped 1st down late in the game).

The fact of the matter is that they had a 22-13 lead with about 9 minutes left, sacked Rodgers on the 3rd down then the first phantom flag was thrown out AFTER he was sacked. That right there would have effectively ended the game. Not to mention the second phantom flag as well on a critical 3rd down.

The Lions should have put the game away earlier and let the Packers off the hook but the refs cost them this one. It makes you wonder about conspiracy theories after a game like that with the league favoring their sweetheart teams. The Packers/Patriots/Cowboys trio is the NFL version of California reffing with the Lions being the Oilers.

But the Lions were largely responsible, themselves, for their own inept offense and were gifted the ball twice in the game in scoring range off fumbles. They got nothing done and made a meal of kicking FG's. The Lions didn't close out, didn't finish, and had something like 60-70yds in the entire 2nd half. I think the Lions had something like 50 rushing yds the whole game.

The Lions bored me to death anytime they had the ball. I'll cheer for a good entertaining squad anytime. That isn't the Lions.

Hey, I get that there were two bad calls, sure, but the Lions coaching staff probably telling their team they were guilty of not closing out, that it shouldn't have come down to that. Lions had got the turnovers and breaks in the game prior to that.

Oct 15, 2008
For his role and the deployment he is seeing, yes absolutely.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Did you even watch the game? Khaira scored in his own net, was behind the play all night. Took two stupid penalties including an ill advised run at Shaw after Shaw made a good hit. So theres Shaw being the antagonizer, just what a useful player does, and theres Khaira being dumb taking two bad penalties on the night.

Khaira also turned the puck over on the Toews breakaway and was responsible for that play.

Again Khaira was -3 on a team that had won every game and was +9 goal differential. Worst on team, and hard to do.

"good to great, quite impressive" You're kidding me

Sheahan has been great and the only reason Khaira's statline isn't worse. But he can't even hold up a player that just isn't engaged on most nights. Anybody Khaira has played with this season is a better player than he is..

Did you even read my post? I stated in my first sentence that I did not watch the game. I just found the hate for him disproportionate to what he's done this year. Maybe he was truly awful this game but he's been good in the other games. And no, it's hardly just because of Sheahan that Khaira has looked good. Both of them are equally responsible for the success that line has seen. If they had a 3rd guy on their line who could actually put the puck in the net they'd probably have 1-2 goals so far this season. And again that plus/minus means nothing because of the type of deployments that line is seeing. You're gonna get scored on more than you score if only 0-8% of your zone starts are in the offensive zone.

Oh and your double-standard is pretty funny. You call out Khaira for being -3 while calling Sheahan, who is -2, "great". No agenda there at all.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Did you read my earlier post? He's a 4th liner and has exactly 1 offensive zone start at ES this season. Despite that his line has consistently been able to put a lot of pressure on in the offensive zone and hem the other team in. For a 4th line to do that, especially with those zone starts, is pretty impressive. If Patrick Russell had more finish to his game that line probably has at least 1 or 2 goals. But yeah stare yourself blind at those boxcars instead.

Did you read yourself saying that Khaira has been "good to great" and "Quite impressive"

Note that you did this while basically inferring everybody else was having specious hot takes on the player.

You're on an island of one thinking Khaira has been exceptional.

I wouldn't even comment on it but you were callling out other posters for their views. While giving the most errant views on the player I've seen.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
P Russel is a hard worker giving it every game and he's sitting in the press box. Haas has played well and he wasn't in either.

Looks like Khaira and Archibald really need to come out.

I haven't been a big fan of Granlund and he's got no finish right now but his play was solid and he did his part. Khaira was caving the line he was on all by himself and not even Sheahan could hold him up. Nobody can in bottomsix. Khaira experiment is done. This player is completely flatlined.

Khaira is -3, worst on the team, on a team with nice goal differential, that had won every game prior to last night. He of course has zero box cars, exactly what you'd expect from this no talent scrub, and the last time he even scored a goal was Jan 16. He has one goal in 2019. He's not even getting scoring chances.

I forgot about russell, but he absolutely has played well enough to have remained in. I don’t like that he and Haas were scratched. I know we had won a few, but I don’t believe in not messing with a winning lineup when the reason the lineup is winning has nothing to do with the totally unproductive bottom 6.

Granlund as a fourth liner is alright, but our third line needs to be more than just another fourth line.

I absolutely agree with the khaira experiment ending. His good games aren’t good enough to have to put up with his bad ones, especially when we have other people waiting for a chance to play.

We have 5 wins in 6 games, so we have a bit of time to figure things out luckily, but there’s no way the bottom 6, or even bottom 9 at 5v5 can continue to be as unproductive as it has been if we want to win. Drai and mcdavid are on another level, but are still going to have off games.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Tis the season of extremes in here...or is this normal here...

What is he wrong about?

Through 6 games the bottom 6 has scored exactly once and the player primarily involved in making it happen has been scratched the last 2 games.

Not even remotely close to good enough and it's going to kill this team quickly if it doesn't improve.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Oh boo frickin hoo, one offensive start. You do realize it takes about 4 seconds to skate the puck up ice right? If a 4th line player is already a team worst minus player shouldn’t he be scratched or is he so valuable that you continue to gift him a roster spot? I’ve seen Khaira miss the net from 10 feet out and you’re going to bring up P. Russell? As has been pointed out he has 1 goal in all of 2019. It’s likely not going to change either.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Did you even read my post? I stated in my first sentence that I did not watch the game. I just found the hate for him disproportionate to what he's done this year. Maybe he was truly awful this game but he's been good in the other games. And no, it's hardly just because of Sheahan that Khaira has looked good. Both of them are equally responsible for the success that line has seen. If they had a 3rd guy on their line who could actually put the puck in the net they'd probably have 1-2 goals so far this season. And again that plus/minus means nothing because of the type of deployments that line is seeing. You're gonna get scored on more than you score if only 0-8% of your zone starts are in the offensive zone.

Oh and your double-standard is pretty funny. You call out Khaira for being -3 while calling Sheahan, who is -2, "great". No agenda there at all.

No there isn't. Sheahan has played solid. It isn't his fault he has to hold up Khaira. Sheahan is making plays all over the ice, on the right side of the puck, and he's known for that. He's a good player coming in here, always has been. Khaira with the exception of one NHL segment has always been a pretend NHL player in the league only because Chiarelli was so deplorable at retaining quality depth.

Holland is resurrecting that, impressively, by bringing in solid players like Sheahan that can actually play. But Khaira is a weak link and almost everybody seeing that.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Most Edmonton fans can live with a give away from 97 . At least you know he is going to make up for the wrong he did more often than not. Kharia has done nothing for this team besides being a boat anchor.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Did you read yourself saying that Khaira has been "good to great" and "Quite impressive"

Note that you did this while basically inferring everybody else was having specious hot takes on the player.

You're on an island of one thinking Khaira has been exceptional.

I wouldn't even comment on it but you were callling out other posters for their views. While giving the most errant views on the player I've seen.

This season (outside of this game) he has been good to great. Not sure how anyone can say otherwise unless they have some very weird expectations on what a 4th line should be doing. Khaira and Sheahan has been outright dominant on the cycle at times and hemming the opponents in. To have a 4th line being able to exert that kind of pressure is impressive to me. I don't know what you and others expect from these guys? They're not playing soft minutes, getting an OZ push with the expectation to score. That's not their role at all and Tippett would probably be the first one to tell you that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Most Edmonton fans can live with a give away from 97 . At least you know he is going to make up for the wrong he did more often than not. Kharia has done nothing for this team besides being a boat anchor.

Of course. Plus blaming any of the players that carry this team is the worst whattaboutism that is possible to engage in on a fan board.

Really nobody is even watching the club without the talent of McD, Drai, Nuge, Neal, Nurse, Klef, Bear. Without those contributions we'd be starting to talk about next season already.

I mean lets be thankful those 7 top players have carried this team to a 5-1 record thus far. Credit as well to the other D that have been mostly solid, and some good bottomsix players. But shifting focus to McD when talking about the abysmal play of Khaira is incomprehensible.

Reactions: Darkwinter

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
I love Khaira but the man has got to sit and decide if he wants to be a hockey player. If he can’t crack this line up it’s over.

What may help this is if Tippet spreads a few more minutes to the bottom end of the lineup. May save the dynamic duos legs for when the games really matter ;)

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
What is he wrong about?

Through 6 games the bottom 6 has scored exactly once and the player primarily involved in making it happen has been scratched the last 2 games.

Not even remotely close to good enough and it's going to kill this team quickly if it doesn't improve.
He is not wrong and neither are you ...but thats not the way to fix this ...

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Oh boo frickin hoo, one offensive start. You do realize it takes about 4 seconds to skate the puck up ice right? If a 4th line player is already a team worst minus player shouldn’t he be scratched or is he so valuable that you continue to gift him a roster spot? I’ve seen Khaira miss the net from 10 feet out and you’re going to bring up P. Russell? As has been pointed out he has 1 goal in all of 2019. It’s likely not going to change either.

Great argument. Guess what zone you're starting in and the role the coach gives you means nothing anymore and plus/minus is the be-all, end-all stat.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
But the Lions were largely responsible, themselves, for their own inept offense and were gifted the ball twice in the game in scoring range off fumbles. They got nothing done and made a meal of kicking FG's. The Lions didn't close out, didn't finish, and had something like 60-70yds in the entire 2nd half. I think the Lions had something like 50 rushing yds the whole game.

The Lions bored me to death anytime they had the ball. I'll cheer for a good entertaining squad anytime. That isn't the Lions.

Hey, I get that there were two bad calls, sure, but the Lions coaching staff probably telling their team they were guilty of not closing out, that it shouldn't have come down to that. Lions had got the turnovers and breaks in the game prior to that.

Agreed with the last paragraph but ultimately, the calls decided the game when it came down to it. They made two critical stops in the 4th that were undone by inexcusably bad calls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad